Profoto flash with Leica SL2

Sohail

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, albireo_double said:

Because of the very short distance between trigger and head, this setup will probably only work in channel 8, like with the current Air TTL triggers (I don't think this "feature" is described anywhere officially....just my observation...if the distance between trigger and flash is too short and the trigger doesn't trigger, switch both to channel 8 and, by some miracle, it works :)  will see if it works like this with the new trigger also).

that is very common problem, the godox one has the same issue even they have implemented  a close distance option.
The Leica Nissin works at closer distance.

actually the blanket is a good point. I was tired of being th SF60 every time the door breaks. I now mount the Nissin i60 on the bracket with the Leica trigger and it works well in TTL.

I have found a few Nissin i60 for less then $100 used.

7 hours ago, Photoworks said:

that is very common problem, the godox one has the same issue even they have implemented  a close distance option.
The Leica Nissin works at closer distance.

actually the blanket is a good point. I was tired of being th SF60 every time the door breaks. I now mount the Nissin i60 on the bracket with the Leica trigger and it works well in TTL.

I have found a few Nissin i60 for less then $100 used.

To clearify (I have/use Leica SF-60 and the trigger Leica SF-C1): Nissin i60a can be used in stead of Leica SF-60 with the Leica trigger SF-C1? If so, any differences between the Canon, Nikon, Sony version of i60a? 

4 hours ago, helged said:

Nissin i60a can be used in stead of Leica SF-60 with the Leica trigger SF-C1? If so, any differences between the Canon, Nikon, Sony version of i60a? 

you can't use it on the hotshoe, they don't lock any way on it. But you can use any of them.

I got Panasonic and MFT i60. you have to have the latest firmware installed, you sent it to Nissan in California and for $10 they update and ship it back to you.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there any word on godox or profoto making hotshoe mounted flashes for Leica TTL? 

Wondering if there will be options beyond the SF-40/60. The transmitter looks cool and all but on camera is my primary use and to say the current offerings are fine but a little lacking for my use and way overpriced given the build. 

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/22/2022 at 2:59 AM, slowpic said:

Profoto just announced a new TTL remote - also for Leica. Available November 2022.

https://profoto.com/uk/products/air-remotes/remotes/profoto-connect-pro-for-leica

Someone from the Mothership was demo'ing this at the Leica store in Berlin this morning.

• Like 3

Maybe one day there can be more options...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Photoworks said:

Maybe one day there can be more options...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Technically one can do without a hotshoe mounted transmitter to fire the off camera flashes if the flash function of TTL or Manual can be selected off the camera menu when a radio wave flash sync can either be built in or sync like the off camera flashes supporting iPhones taking pic. An APP from flash makers can be used to adjust the flashes like the current Profoto and Godox APPs.

1 hour ago, sillbeers15 said:

Technically one can do without a hotshoe mounted transmitter to fire the off camera flashes if the flash function of TTL or Manual can be selected off the camera menu

Is that a good idea?

I have not seen others handle Profoto and Gogox at the same time on one camera in TTL

Pros:
internal trigger would be always there.

cons:

Metal body is probably not great, bring back the bump.
More space for chip needed , bigger camera.
can you see Leica allowing 3rd party flashes to work? firmware are already focus on solving problems and take a long time to have just fixes.

Godox and Profoto use BT to interface, how long will the app be updated and compatible? so many app from few years ago no longer work.

23 hours ago, Photoworks said:

Is that a good idea?

I have not seen others handle Profoto and Gogox at the same time on one camera in TTL

Pros:
internal trigger would be always there.

cons:

Metal body is probably not great, bring back the bump.
More space for chip needed , bigger camera.
can you see Leica allowing 3rd party flashes to work? firmware are already focus on solving problems and take a long time to have just fixes.

Godox and Profoto use BT to interface, how long will the app be updated and compatible? so many app from few years ago no longer work.

Perhaps internal triggers are less complicated.

If camera within mobile phones can trigger OCF, and the simplified Profoto hotshoe trigger only connects & offer on/off, auto & manual selection I see the internal trigger possibility likely to happen. If so, physical trigger will be replaced by firmware. Pro: One less accessory to carry.

I've had the Connect Pro Leica trigger on order since August. Enquired with my dealer this week (triggers were supposed to ship in November). The reply was that apparently there are still problems being ironed out with the firmware (trigger not functioning as it should). ETA not clear at this point.

• Thanks 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb albireo_double:

I've had the Connect Pro Leica trigger on order since August. Enquired with my dealer this week (triggers were supposed to ship in November). The reply was that apparently there are still problems being ironed out with the firmware (trigger not functioning as it should). ETA not clear at this point.

no good news…

I ordered the trigger very early too and asked Profoto, that’s their response today:

I cannot share more information than what's on the website. But I can assure you that it will be out soon

Edited by MediaFotografie

2 hours ago, albireo_double said:

Leica did say that is was harder then they taught , that is why it took so long to come out

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MediaFotografie said:

no good news…

I ordered the trigger very early too and asked Profoto, that’s their response today:

I cannot share more information than what's on the website. But I can assure you that it will be out soon

A very typical Profoto reply. I got those several times in the past. Hence that is the opportunity cost one needs to pay for going with Profoto.

• Like 1

I bought the non TTL one a month or two ago, as I know I'll use it on other cameras anyway (old Pentax 67ii etc), and it's an absolute dream of a unit. Something i didn't realise is that you can then control all your heads on your phone, which is super neat. Hangin' for HSS and TTL on the SL2 with my Profoto units.. absolutely hangin'. 

16 hours ago, Kristofferpaulsen said:

I bought the non TTL one a month or two ago, as I know I'll use it on other cameras anyway (old Pentax 67ii etc), and it's an absolute dream of a unit. Something i didn't realise is that you can then control all your heads on your phone, which is super neat. Hangin' for HSS and TTL on the SL2 with my Profoto units.. absolutely hangin'. 

Controlling from APP on mobile phone has become a default fn. today for OCF lighting to control multiple units. Godox offer the same and I had it downloaded & tried. I have different sentiments about mobile phone control, to me it is an additional complication that is otherwise unnecessary as I dial the controller/trigger mounted on my camera to control/change the output of my lights while I’m in between shots. My hands were full, why would I want to bring out my smartphone then to manage my lights which duplicates the trigger’s function? Unless the trigger does not offer any form of control like the earlier compact round Profoto connect that only serves On/Off & Auto/Manual selection.

1 hour ago, sillbeers15 said:

Controlling from APP on mobile phone has become a default fn. today for OCF lighting to control multiple units. Godox offer the same and I had it downloaded & tried. I have different sentiments about mobile phone control, to me it is an additional complication that is otherwise unnecessary as I dial the controller/trigger mounted on my camera to control/change the output of my lights while I’m in between shots. My hands were full, why would I want to bring out my smartphone then to manage my lights which duplicates the trigger’s function? Unless the trigger does not offer any form of control like the earlier compact round Profoto connect that only serves On/Off & Auto/Manual selection.

I think many app stop working over time and the lights still work fine. the company often don't offer any updated and as new iOS come out the original APP no longer works. They become totally useless.

I operate everything like the app does not exist.

That is one reason I never got the M10-D

• Thanks 1