Profoto flash with Leica SL2

Sohail

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A request please: can anyone identify the Profoto flash in this video still:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Sohail

• Sohail changed the title to Profoto flash with Leica SL2

Looks like one of the TTL units to me. Here is a photo of the regular Air Remote (left) and a TTL-N unit (for Nikon) on the right. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

yep. they feel the china pressure from godox...

Good to see options.

• Like 1

Finally...and two-way communication, so it shows the actual power numbers, goodbye the plus/minus adjustments (these are still available in the menu, as "Air 1"..as opposed to the absolute numbers that are shown as "Air 2"). This is exactly what I have been hoping for....so useful!. Expensive but I will be ordering it as soon as it becomes available.

Edited by albireo_double
  • Like 2

On 6/17/2022 at 1:16 PM, Stuart Richardson said:

That would be amazing, if it happens. I have been waiting for that for years. I guess it will mean I have to sell my A1 for a Leica version though...

Only if you want to use it on camera. Off-camera it will work no problem, I expect (my Nikon version A1 works perfectly with an OM/Pana trigger, for example). And I am not sure if there will be a Leica version of the A1, unless I am missing something. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2022 at 8:39 AM, Sohail said:

A request please: can anyone identify the Profoto flash in this video still:

This is no flash but a trigger. Probably an Air Remote or Air Sync.

So am I correct that this would allow the use of TTL flash with Profoto flashes off camera? But presumably the A1 series still would not work on camera other than manually?

Right now I use an air remote and it works fine for triggering flashes, but it would be nice to work with the A1 automatically at times...

6 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

So am I correct that this would allow the use of TTL flash with Profoto flashes off camera? But presumably the A1 series still would not work on camera other than manually?

Right now I use an air remote and it works fine for triggering flashes, but it would be nice to work with the A1 automatically at times...

not all profoto heads provide TTL. 

I think you can use the A1 in remote with this trigger in TTL. probably there will be FW update for A1 and B10 when this trigger get into hands of people.

A Nikon mount A1 will not work on the camera directly. you will have to wait for the Leica TTl version.

• Thanks 1

My understanding is that you will be able to use TTL. If you have the original A1 (which I think does not have Bluetooth), but you will need to use the Air 1 mode on the trigger (this works in the current manner, i.e. plus/minus relative adjustments). If you have the newer A1 that has Bluetooth, you will be able to see on the trigger display the absolute power level that is set on the flash itself. All this in off camera mode. If you insist on using the flash on camera (assuming Leica camera and, say Nikon version A1) then it would probably work best to put the strobe on some sort of bracket (i.e. not in the hot shoe itself), and the new trigger in the hot shoe. Because of the very short distance between trigger and head, this setup will probably only work in channel 8, like with the current Air TTL triggers (I don't think this "feature" is described anywhere officially....just my observation...if the distance between trigger and flash is too short and the trigger doesn't trigger, switch both to channel 8 and, by some miracle, it works :)  will see if it works like this with the new trigger also).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1