FOTOS app and DNG transfer (iOS)

5inn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi -

I'm interested in potentially purchasing a used Q or Q2. I currently use a Ricoh GR iii, and I love the ability to transfer RAW/DNG files directly from the camera to my phone, wirelessly via the Ricoh App. I've searched high and low, and it seems like at least when the Q came out, this was not possible, however I don't think iOS supported RAW files at the time. 

Is this feature available now for iOS users? If it does, is it limited to certain camera models? 

I do know that I could use a Lightning -> SD card adapter, but I would prefer to do it wirelessly if possible. It's almost effortless on the Ricoh app.

Thanks in advance,

15 hours ago, jaapv said:

If it does it will be sloooow   And what about memory?  With the Q2 you will soon be in the Terabyte range.  

Sorry, perhaps I didn't explain in enough detail. I would only be transferring a handful of RAWs at a time. I understand Q2 DNG files are around 100mb, which is fine. The GR iii DNGs are about 65mb, and take around 5s or so to transfer each. For my limited number of files to transfer, it would be faster and more convenient to me than pulling out a dongle, pulling out the SD card, plugging and, then doing it all again in reverse.

Does anyone know if it's technically possible?

• Like 1

The Fotos app does do DNG transfer. However, the browsing and the transfer rate was slow the last time I tried it. I think that the browsing may have been improved in the latest version. I'm not sure about the transfer rate.

Edited by iRandom

Using the Fotos app on my iPhone 12 Pro using a 5G network, seems pretty quick to transfer to my iCloud account. 

I just select the DNG images for transfer, set it off and put the phone in my pocket. By the time I come to do more transfers the previous ones have finished.

1 hour ago, iRandom said:

The Fotos app does do DNG transfer. However, the browsing and the transfer rate was slow the last time I tried it. I think that the browsing may have been improved in the latest version. I'm not sure about the transfer rate.

1 hour ago, OThomas said:

Using the Fotos app on my iPhone 12 Pro using a 5G network, seems pretty quick to transfer to my iCloud account. 

I just select the DNG images for transfer, set it off and put the phone in my pocket. By the time I come to do more transfers the previous ones have finished.

Are these with the Q, or Q2?

7 hours ago, OThomas said:

I use M10-R so similar size files. I’m assuming you meant the file size.

No, I think the transfer of DNG via the Leica FOTOS app varies by camera, though I'm not certain. I'm trying to confirm whether the Q and Q2 can transfer DNGs wirelessly to an iOS device (iPhone/iPad).

18 hours ago, 5inn said:

No, I think the transfer of DNG via the Leica FOTOS app varies by camera, though I'm not certain. I'm trying to confirm whether the Q and Q2 can transfer DNGs wirelessly to an iOS device (iPhone/iPad).

OK I didn’t know that. Hope you find out. 

• 1 month later...

Using a CL wireless to an IPad Pro 2019 many of the photos download to the IPad as JPEGs easily using a 5G hot spot but some don’t with an indication of (!)  then if i attempt to download as DNG + JPEG …. The download passes quickly …… but why …

Seems bizarre behaviour otherwise I enjoy the feature of wireless linking …. Answers please 

I recently picked up a Q2, and I can transfer raws flawlessly to my iPhone, or iPad via the Leica Photos app. It’s not super fast, with each photo taking approx 5-10s but, as I said it’s very rare for me to transfer more than a few at once. 

I’m not sure about your issue stonelink. Using the Leica photos app, my camera creates its own Wi-Fi network to which my device (iPhone/iPad) connects to. There is no need for a hotspot, or any other Wi-Fi network. I also only shoot in DNG/RAW. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...