M11 sensor and cosmic radiation.

SiOnara

I think you may be worrying about the wrong thing.

YOU are being exposed to cosmic radiation, and are a much larger target than the M11 sensor.  If you are really worried, obtain some high sensitivity photographic film, and cover your camera with it.  Develop the film after the 'exposure' (flight) and see whether there was any activity.  After all, this is how Becquerel discovered Uranium was radioactive (although he, it seems, attributed the marks on the photographic plate to chemistry, leaving Mme Curie to deduce and prove radioactive decay).

Or, if you are not bothered about paying a luggage weight surcharge, buy some lead sheeting and cover your camera in that.

Just remember what the old lady said: "If God had meant us to fly, He would never have given us the railways!"

2 hours ago, Eclectic Man said:

I think you may be worrying about the wrong thing.

YOU are being exposed to cosmic radiation, and are a much larger target than the M11 sensor.  If you are really worried, obtain some high sensitivity photographic film, and cover your camera with it.  Develop the film after the 'exposure' (flight) and see whether there was any activity.  After all, this is how Becquerel discovered Uranium was radioactive (although he, it seems, attributed the marks on the photographic plate to chemistry, leaving Mme Curie to deduce and prove radioactive decay).

Or, if you are not bothered about paying a luggage weight surcharge, buy some lead sheeting and cover your camera in that.

Just remember what the old lady said: "If God had meant us to fly, He would never have given us the railways!"

There was some research - although not uncontested- that flight crew on the transpolar routes suffered an above-average number of brain tumours. 

1 minute ago, jaapv said:

Which won't help at all -it would need to be many feet thick.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Me: "Or, if you are not bothered about paying a luggage weight surcharge, buy some lead sheeting and cover your camera in that."

14 hours ago, jaapv said:

Which won't help at all -it would need to be many feet thick.

I didn't say how much lead sheeting.

See: https://www.pnnl.gov/main/publications/external/technical_reports/PNNL-20693.pdf

On 6/16/2022 at 1:14 AM, jaapv said:

A nice idea especially combined with wrapping it in tin foil. In reality you would need a camera case made  out of concrete ten meters thick. 

Concrete or not, does it count as hand luggage 😅?

17 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

Amish M11 owners have it made in the shade.  No high altitude neutron damage to their sensors and oats for their horses are WAY less costly than gasoline.

I'm giving serious consideration to converting...

You’ll have to give up your computer and digital cameras. Not allowed.

9 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Amish M11 owners have it made in the shade.  No high altitude neutron damage to their sensors and oats for their horses are WAY less costly than gasoline.

I'm giving serious consideration to converting...

Hello Herr Barnack,

If you do, you might be pleasantly surprised. Oats are not only less expensive than gasoline. But they are tastier too.

Best Regards,

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Forget the tin foil wraps and hats...

A *real* photographer would dig through his closet, find an old film shield bag, and stuff his M11 inside. 🙂

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by SonomaTim

2 hours ago, kona said:

This is exactly why I got the silver one: it reflects most cosmic rays and the brass absorbs any strays much better than aluminium!

you must be on the space ship often if you are worried about it. maybe you are a pilot?

@SonomaTim  Whenever I fly, my digital M (or Q2, whichever I take) goes into one of these. 

I took three other large Domke Film Guard bags, cut the seams apart and sewed them together to make a lead lined balaclava to wear during air travel in order to protect my brain.

Cosmic radiation is not something to be taken lightly.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, MrPaulK said:

Y’all crazy enough about baseplates and shutter sounds that I can’t tell which is serious and which isn’t in this thread.

@MrPaulK  Welcome to the Red Dot insane asylum. 

The expression "nuttier than rat feces in a peanut factory" applies in these parts with disquieting regularity.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Photoworks said:

you must be on the space ship often if you are worried about it. maybe you are a pilot?

I was joking of course. But now that I think about it, I am going to try and make this a thing whenever the old silver Vs black argument comes up.