lecycliste

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Does anyone make an aftermarket external power grip for the M10 or M10-R?

You pull off the baseplate, pop the battery and the contacts are right there. External flash battery makers do this all the time for flashes without external power contacts. For the M10-R there are your basic aftermarket grips, and I would think it would be a pretty easy thing to do a power grip with slots for two batteries.

(I'm a former analog / mixed-signal IC designer - fast A/D converter, Ethernet LAN media interface/analog signal synthesizer, battery gas gauge designer with 25 years in Silicon Valley - so I have an informed opinion / expertise in electronic design.)

Thanks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lecycliste said:

Why on earth would you need such a thing on a rangefinder camera? What possible use would it be? Thankfully I think the answer is no.

• Thanks 1

The last device for an M that provided external power is the M240 grip with a ac adapter (proprietary plug).  When Leica designed the M10 many M240 features were eliminated, video, flash with an external evf attached, ac power, wired tethering.  Leica recommends the SL system for advanced features.  

On 6/14/2022 at 2:58 PM, pedaes said:

Why on earth would you need such a thing on a rangefinder camera? What possible use would it be? Thankfully I think the answer is no.

If you're shooting timed 8-16 minute exposures of nighttime light-painted landscapes with a 24mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH or 28mm f/2.8 Elmarit-M ASPH with the lightest possible setup, having an external power source for an M10 or M10-R would be very useful. You choose preset long exposure times on the M10 and M10-R by setting the shutter speed dial to B and pressing the focus button to select the exposure time. I have severe sciatica, which means I can no longer carry an SL2 and L-mount lenses for any distance. Some dark sky sites here in New Mexico require some walking to get to, and lightweight M-cameras and lenses are ideal for that.

That's why on earth I would need such a thing on a rangefinder camera. 

Edited by lecycliste
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 6/14/2022 at 1:39 PM, lecycliste said:

(I'm a former analog / mixed-signal IC designer - fast A/D converter, Ethernet LAN media interface/analog signal synthesizer, battery gas gauge designer with 25 years in Silicon Valley - so I have an informed opinion / expertise in electronic design.)

Thanks.

I'm curious if you will fabricate this yourself.  The M11 has a port for external power, no need to remove camera from tripod or mounting, remove plates, remove baseplate, and then remount.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

External power seems to have skipped the M10 generation. The Leica Multifunction Handgrip, and the matching, proprietary mains power adapter, were manufactured for the M Type 240-series, but only the Monochrom 246 performs really well at high ISO settings, for true night shooting. (I do not know if a Monochrom would be useful, for the OP’s night sky shooting.) I recently took delivery of a mains power adapter, which was most difficult to find in the USA, but more available in Europe. The Multifunction Handgrip does, however, add a notable amount of weight and bulk, and any external battery would need to be used with a suitable adapter, with their own weight/mass and bulk factors.  

Notably, the 240-series M cameras use such larger-capacity batteries, there is a lesser need for external power, than is the case with M10-series cameras. The additional juice became quite apparent, when I added an M Type 246, after I had started M-system shooting, using an M10. Interestingly, the battery for the M11 offers substantially more juice than the M10 battery.

The black version of the M11 offers lighter weight/mass than the 240-series and the M10, and ability to use external power, via the USB port. The weight difference should be of some help, when dealing with a medical/mobility issue. The USB-C power source simplifies supplying that power, with no need to add weight or bulk to the camera body. If I were to develop a need for an ultra-light kit, based upon using one or more M-mount lenses, with external power being necessary, I reckon that the black M11 would be the simplest answer, if not the most budget-friendly solution. (I have not done any math, regarding the weight of a battery suitable to provide substantial power to an M11.)

To be clear, I am not trying to “sell” an M11, to anyone. I hope to avoid temptation, myself, for as long as practicable.

On 6/14/2022 at 9:39 PM, lecycliste said:

You pull off the baseplate, pop the battery and the contacts are right there. External flash battery makers do this all the time for flashes without external power contacts. For the M10-R there are your basic aftermarket grips, and I would think it would be a pretty easy thing to do a power grip with slots for two batteries.

Thanks.

I can't help with your questions, Mark, but it's an interesting idea that deserves a little more imagination than simply being told to carry a spare battery.   I'll watch with interest to see how this might develop. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pedaes said:

Then offer a solution. Thought so!

Don't need to, the the op has already done that rather more eloquently and imaginatively than you can.

As with the OP, I also see how something like this could be useful in some situations with long and/or multiple exposures. 

Want to try focus stacking, multiple exposures for panoramas, or both with an M10-R on a tripod in -10C and your spare battery in your pocket?

Thought so!  

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Which one?  Try harder.

Nope, can't see any taken on a M10-R with focus stacking etc.at -10C.  

I am bored with this  - good luck with your photography and may the light be good to you.

Edited by pedaes
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Thought so!

Can't see what isn't there! If you refute, need metadata  please. Thought so!

Second thoughts, don't bother, I really am bored. 

Edited by pedaes
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Can't see what isn't there! If you refute, need metadata  please.

As I’ve told you before, you’re too tedious and too negative to be bothered with.  Try reading the op again and giving a little thought to his reasons for asking, even if it is outside of your own experience rather than dismiss it with an offhand comment about carrying spare batteries. 
min the meantime, enjoy sharing the forum cesspit with a couple of others I have no time for .Tara!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

As I’ve told you before, you’re too tedious and too negative to be bothered with.  Try reading the op again and giving a little thought to his reasons for asking, even if it is outside of your own experience rather than dismiss it with an offhand comment about carrying spare batteries. 
min the meantime, enjoy sharing the forum cesspit with a couple of others I have no time for .Tara!

OK, so you can't substantiate your alleged use of a M-10R. I understand that you then see no option but to come up with this response to try and establish some credibility. Sad. 

The fact is the M10 series was designed as a pure 'back to basics' M with no frills. There will never be an outside power source, so additional batteries will only ever be a solution. Not negative, just realistic. A further positive tip, keep them in an inside pocket if its -10C.