Is the M10 and M9 hotshoe cover the same size?

sunung1188

Hi,

I happen to have looked at this for the purposes of after-market hotshoes made by Artisan Obscura for the M9.  The hotshoe cover for the M10 should be the same overall dimensions (length, width and depth) though I have not measured and checked, but the forward edge of the M10 cover has a beveled edge so that it clears the contacts for the Visoflex.  Certainly on the covers I was looking at, I worried that the blunt ended M9 shape would interfere with those contacts, so I have not tried to fit an M9 hotshoe cover to the M10.

The same may not be the case for the Leica own hotshoe cover, but take close look at the M10 one (if you have that to hand).  Or you should be able to just about make out what I'm talking about here:  https://leicastoremiami.com/products/leica-m10-replacement-hot-shoe-cover?variant=5997278330918

Cheers

Chazphoto

vor 6 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

Just buy a 3$ one on eBay. Leica ones are crazily overpriced. 

Well that depends: Buy something on eBay and pay postal fee on top or go to your beloved Leica store, look at all the beautiful products and on the side buy that little plastic piece for the hot shoe that then really works and has the exact right size. For me its clear what I would do.

Edited by M11 for me

Well, if you want to pay 60 $ to save  couple of bucks postage on a 3$ item …
Actually I bought a bunch of them years ago as hotshoe covers tend to get lost and I have a hard time telling them apart from the ones that came with my cameras. Fit perfectly on all my Leicas too. You can always have the original framed and hang it next to your original Picasso painting  

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The supplied plastic hotshoe cover on my M10-R was an adequate fit until I used a shoe mounted remote trigger.  Since then, it just falls out of the shoe which doesn’t say much for the quality of the hot shoe itself.

I replaced the original cover with one of those soft plastic Chinese ones with a bubble in the middle from EBay for around £1.50 and it doesn’t fall out!

• Like 1

I thought that hot shoes were all built to a 'standard'?

8 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

The supplied plastic hotshoe cover on my M10-R was an adequate fit until I used a shoe mounted remote trigger.  Since then, it just falls out of the shoe which doesn’t say much for the quality of the hot shoe itself.

Clearly you need Leica Branded Gaffer Tape to make up for the fact that the springs in the hot shoe area bit shoddy. My M9s suffer the same problem with distorting springs, unlike my Sonys. Gaffer tape on the 21mm viewfinder works ok but it finally needs to be replaced.

Edited by pgk

7 minutes ago, pgk said:

I thought that hot shoes were all built to a 'standard'?

Clearly not.  I have Nikon dslrs and Fuji X100F’s that I have used for years at dozens of weddings and events with shoe mounted flash and remotes and the original plastic covers are still a good fit.  

I should have known better, since Leica gave up on the ‘professional’ market years ago.  

• Like 1

I guess shoe mounted triggers and flashes are screwed tight (OK, I sometimes just shove them in if I'm in a hurry) so leave the springs compressed - cheap springs will then just stay compressed.

-

But if hot shoes differed enough to make it important which cover you use, then triggers and flashes would not fit (aside from contact issues). The only Leica oddity that I know of was the M240: a standard cover would fit, but you needed the M240 version to cover the Viso connector as well. (Did a couple of the X models have the same fitting?)

vor 1 Stunde schrieb jaapv:

Well, if you want to pay 60 $ to save  couple of bucks postage on a 3$ item …
Actually I bought a bunch of them years ago as hotshoe covers tend to get lost and I have a hard time telling them apart from the ones that came with my cameras. Fit perfectly on all my Leicas too. You can always have the original framed and hang it next to your original Picasso painting  

Well, I saw it for 12 Euro or $. No, 60 I would not pay!

That is what the Leica Shop tried to charge me, 57 Euro, I forget which model, so I called a contact at Leica CS who sent me one for free :lol:  I still see no difference to the Chinese ones I have since then. The original ones are in a drawer. 12 Euro? Must be a Panasonic one ;) 

Is there much benefit to keeping the cover in the hot shoe? When I used film cameras daily, Nikons and Leicas, I never used hotshot covers and never suffered a problem. Initially it seemed to me these Leica covers were cosmetic, and they do look nice. Bit on Leica's digital cameras, do they offer much additional protection that wasn’t necessary on the film cameras? The hot shoe and electronics should be robust enough that it shouldn’t matter, and the cover should fit well regardless of having been removed many times

22 hours ago, sunung1188 said:

I was wondering if I could buy an M9 hotshoe cover and use it on my M10.

Not sure... My m9 didn't come with a hotshoe cover 

But you can't use an m10 one on the m9 because it has no cut out for the little post that the m9 has in the hotshoe 

I would guess that an m9 one would have a slot cut into it and if so it would not seal the m10 hotshoe 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I keep all original accessories (caps, covers, leather cases etc.) in the original box for safe keeping. They are expensive and only needed when the camera or lens is to be sold. Somehow buyers desire a 'complete boxed set'.

For day to day use, I buy cheap ones on eBay. They are just as good for protection cost a few dollars and you wouldn't feel sad when you lose them.

Edited by rramesh