Owners of all three M10, M10R, M11, which image did you prefer?

jonthewizard

I've not owned M11 yet, just tried it in the store, but I must add that the best Leica images, from any camera, by far, that I love every single time, come from my S 007, with any of its lenses.  Nothing compares.  It's just huge, so not suitable for travel, but impossible to part with because of the dreamy look.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jonthewizard said:

A general question out of curiosity. I've owned all three cameras, M10, M10R, M11 and they are all amazing cameras. I'm just curious if you have a favourite in terms of the image they produced, not really from a technical standpoint, just aesthetically and enjoyed the most? Thanks! 

Hard to say between the m10r and M11, but for my case, it comes down the physical looks of the camera, like black paint for m10r and the ease of use with usb c like the m11 though i wish they still have baseplate 🥲

if budget matters more, the M10 wont disappoint at all, just lose on the megapixels battle for which, not any eyes can notice except pixel peeping well at least in my case again

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, jakontil said:

if budget matters more, the M10 wont disappoint at all, just lose on the megapixels battle for which, not any eyes can notice except pixel peeping well at least in my case again

For me, upgrading from M10 to M10R solved the blown highlights problem, and I love the M10R better for it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, jonthewizard said:

A general question out of curiosity. I've owned all three cameras, M10, M10R, M11 and they are all amazing cameras. I'm just curious if you have a favourite in terms of the image they produced, not really from a technical standpoint, just aesthetically and enjoyed the most? Thanks! 

To what end? Which one did you keep and why? Asking because many people's first posts that ask questions like these are old banned users coming back to stir shit up.

[Edit] Sounds like your account checks out as not being a banned user coming back. But still, it might be interesting to others to hear your own perspective since you've owned all these cameras.[/Edit]

Edited by hdmesa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

[Edit] Sounds like your account checks out as not being a banned user coming back. But still, it might be interesting to others to hear your own perspective since you've owned all these cameras.[/Edit]

Seems like the only way to have a good faith discussion. 😎

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

To what end? Which one did you keep and why? Asking because many people's first posts that ask questions like these are old banned users coming back to stir shit up.

Hi hdmesa, yes its my first post. I'm mostly curious since everyone has their own taste when it comes to what a pleasant image might be. So it's interesting to hear some perspectives and learn a bit. Yes, of the three I do prefer the image from the original M10, maybe because it's a bit softer and the lower resolution and everything seems to blend together nicely. I traded in the others so I just have the M11 now. What I like most is the longer battery life. Aside from that i would happily use any of the three still. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, setuporg said:

I've not owned M11 yet, just tried it in the store, but I must add that the best Leica images, from any camera, by far, that I love every single time, come from my S 007, with any of its lenses.  Nothing compares.  It's just huge, so not suitable for travel, but impossible to part with because of the dreamy look.

I'm completely a bystander (own but don't use an M10) who spends lots of time looking at what others post digitally.

No question in my mind the S system consistently creates the best images, not only that Leica produces, but that have ever been produced digitally (maybe with the exception of the very big Phase Ones).

But I have to admit that every once in a while I'm seeing images from the M11 that remind me of those from the S system. It's hard to believe I'll ever want to carry an M11 + M50 Cron APO (which I think best shows off the camera). We all have our own values, and mine include not hanging $20k worth of digital imaging on my shoulder. 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, bags27 said:

I'm completely a bystander (own but don't use an M10) who spends lots of time looking at what others post digitally.

No question in my mind the S system consistently creates the best images, not only that Leica produces, but that have ever been produced digitally (maybe with the exception of the very big Phase Ones).

But I have to admit that every once in a while I'm seeing images from the M11 that remind me of those from the S system. It's hard to believe I'll ever want to carry an M11 + M50 Cron APO (which I think best shows off the camera). We all have our own values, and mine include not hanging $20k worth of digital imaging on my shoulder. 

You can cut that amount of $$$ hanging off your shoulder in half by using the CV 50 APO with the M11 (images below) instead of the Leica 50 APO. As for the S, that look is mostly due to the S lenses and not as much its older-tech FSI sensor.

J1001759.thumb.jpg.2ac3e2788e6cc857675bb04abeed2a7c.jpg

J1001908.thumb.jpg.7cb75face6c5a7bc42747d8fa26f3979.jpg

J1001562_pano.thumb.jpg.81eb4648128710a6e71b570a38d458c7.jpg

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

You can cut that amount of $$$ hanging off your shoulder in half by using the CV 50 APO with the M11 (images below) instead of the Leica 50 APO. As for the S, that look is mostly due to the S lenses and not as much its older-tech FSI sensor.

Sorry. I'd absolutely want the CV's image quality to equal the Leica's, since I still sometimes shoot Leica film bodies. But the CV version just doesn't do it for me. I'm not going to waste folks' time, since I've spelled it out often, and no one buys what I say anyway. But for me, the CV renders beautifully but not magically.  I'd rather keep my M 50 Lux ASPH.

Edited by bags27

6 hours ago, setuporg said:

For me, upgrading from M10 to M10R solved the blown highlights problem, and I love the M10R better for it.

One thing for sure and i agree very much, i was too seeing the highlights retain is quite an upgrade especially i shoot bright day as much as indoors widest open though without being so picky, should budget constrained, even M10 would justify in this matter

27 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Sorry. I'd absolutely want the CV's image quality to equal the Leica's, since I still sometimes shoot Leica film bodies. But the CV version just doesn't do it for me. I'm not going to waste folks' time, since I've spelled it out often, and no one buys what I say anyway. But for me, the CV renders beautifully but not magically.  I'd rather keep my M 50 Lux ASPH.

I agree that the 50 Lux-M has a nicer rendering (f/1.4!), but you specifically mentioned cost when using the M11 + M50 Cron APO.

For infinity landscape, the CV 50 APO is a better lens in every way than the 50 Lux-M ASPH (IMO).

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

I agree that the 50 Lux-M has a nicer rendering (f/1.4!), but you specifically mentioned cost when using the M11 + M50 Cron APO.

For infinity landscape, the CV 50 APO is a better lens in every way than the 50 Lux-M ASPH (IMO).

I was only saying that I don't believe the CV lens does the job for me that the Leica APO would. So, if I did get an M11--which I have no desire for currently--I'd just keep my Lux, which costs me nothing (except for opportunity cost). 

Edited by bags27
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, setuporg said:

This is funny. When the M10 came out I was complaining about the blown highlights on this forum a good bit and consensus was being silly or it was just user error. Now years later its consensus that indeed this is a weak spot for the camera. Well, either way, I've learned to work within the limits more. I've sampled an M10R but not M11. I've played with M11 raw files but never shot it, but I'm not sure they're for me - I mean they are great - they just seem to take a good bit more work to get to where I'd want to go with them - feels like working on a Sony picture - which again fantastic files but different workflow that I enjoy less.

So I am more tempted by M10R, but something about my M10 still is plenty for me. I haven't had a chance to make a large print to compare - that's less important to me than the highlights issue but again, through 5 years of using it, it doesn't bother me much anymore (except for when it still really does, I guess I just avoid those pictures).

Edited by pgh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bags27 said:

I was only saying that I don't believe the CV lens does the job for me that the Leica APO would. So, if I did get an M11--which I have no desire for currently--I'd just keep my Lux, which costs me nothing (except for opportunity cost). 

I'd love to have the Leica 50 APO and was considering buying a used one. But for the same money, I bought an M4-P (w/Leica CLA) and 35 Lux pre-ASPH v2 (w/DAG CLA) instead 🙃