Which lens cap for 1958 Elmar 5cm 2.8?

If I recall well, the cap was silver chrome push-on A42 id 14031

like these

good to know that we can use the screw-in hood 12549 from newer Elmar-M 2.8/50 and newer cap id 14321 with new style "retaining material" inside, not felt so this cap alone not suitable for old Elmar

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

The compatible push-on caps are A42, like the 14031 ORQDO (which is metal and felt lined). With 'A' caps and filters, the number refers to the outer diameter of the front of the lens (42mm in this case). With 'E' caps and filters the number is the filter thread diameter - an E39 (39mm filter thread) clip-in cap is also compatible with this lens, as above. Cheap reproduction 'Leica' A42 push-on caps like the ones you find on ebay sometimes have A42 and sometimes E39 in the listing,  but you can usually tell what they mean from the list of compatible lenses.

6 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

good to know that we can use the screw-in hood 12549 from newer Elmar-M 2.8/50 and newer cap id 14321 with new style "retaining material" inside, not felt so this cap alone not suitable for old Elmar

Is the newer 14321 the one with a plastic rather than felt lining, so it just doesn't grip properly when mounted directly on the old Elmar?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes 14031

For a 1958 f2.8 (or f3.5) Elmar you want an E39, also known as A42, lens cap. On the left in these pictures

For the earlier f3.5 Elmar you want the A36 size, which is smaller and comes in different styles over the years, the one shown with a raised edge is from the 1950’s. The E39 cap only seems to be in one style.

An alternative to a cap is an ITOOY lenshood with a cap that clips on when the hood is reversed over the lens. But then it only fits with the lens fully extended. The earliest ITOOY with the narrow chrome band does not clip on reversed. The one with the wide chrome band had two sets of clips to allow it to clip on both ways round.

The ITOOY hood seems to have come in at least three versions, slightly different heights and there are two styles of cap for it.

But this is going off the subject.

I have the original chrome cap that came with my 50/2.8 LTM Elmar but I worry about losing it, so it sits in my drawer of Leica bits and bobs and I use a $12 plastic Schneider push on cap when I am out and about with the lens. 

8 hours ago, Doug A said:

I have the original chrome cap that came with my 50/2.8 LTM Elmar but I worry about losing it, so it sits in my drawer of Leica bits and bobs and I use a $12 plastic Schneider push on cap when I am out and about with the lens. 

I am doing the same thing now with the cap off my Taylor Hobson Reid lens.