Magnification Point Keeps Moving

LikameLeica

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have assigned the top button Focus Magnification for Live View on either the rear screen or attached EVF.  The point keeps moving to top or bottom corners and then zooming in is super frustrating as I have to hunt for the crosshair and then move it back to center.  Anyone experience the same?  Anyone have a solution/fix?

Posted (edited)

It has to do with the rear LCD having touch enabled, but unless I am missing something there is no way to turn it off without completely disabling Live View.  Disabling Live View defeats the purpose and without the ability to turn off the Touch capability of Live View the crosshair gets moved around when the camera is hanging around my neck.  My only solution (not ideal) that I have come up with is as follows.

1. Set top function button to Live View.
  2. Turn on Focus Aid in Capture Assistants menu, to have camera automatically zoom in while focusing.

This allows me to turn off & on Live View with single bottom between shots and then the LCD screen is inactive while walking and in between shots, minimizing the ability for the crosshair to get moved around by mistake.

Not ideal but my temporary fix.  I would much rather have the ability to turn off the touch on rear LCD.

Edited by LikameLeica

45 minutes ago, M11 for me said:

The focus point can be moved around the screen. So before magnification is done first put the point to the right place and use the 4-way button for that.

Thank you for responding.  I already know that this can be done.  My issue is that the point gets moved around inadvertently due to the touch screen getting bumped while camera is hanging from my neck, which means that I am constantly having to recenter it (super frustrating) and in my opinion a very poor design that can be easily fixed in firmware.  The Leica SL2 latest firmware for example now allows you to assign one of your function buttons to either center or the last place you had it manually positioned to.  This is called "toggle focus point" and was not implemented until the latest firmware version.  Or preferably you should be able to disable this point from moving with touch screen.

You might do 2 things that come into my mind spontanously:

1) After shooting go into the first overview menu and turn off LV as long as you do not need it.

2) Put the function LV on/off onto the FN buton on the back of the camera to turn it on/off

Or else get a Visoflex2 and set the settings of the LCD to extended

But you're right. When you have the screen on all the time then its an annoying issue

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M11 needs a double-tap-to-center function just like the Q2 has, and it also needs to work while looking though the Visoflex 2. We also need the ability to do touch-drag of the focus point while using the EVF like the Q2.

I asked a while ago to the local Leica rep that it would be nice if one could fix the position of the focus point but still allow touch screen for everything else on all camera platforms.  This would be nice for back button focus on the q and sl and keep the mag  location on the M.  

One can only hope.