35 Cron ASPH + M240 magenta edge

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all!

Its been a while I posted here. I went from M240 to M9 paired with 35mm summicron asph throughout the two years and came across a nice condition MP240 bundled with the same lens so I have two copies of same lens.

On the old pair 240 + 35 cron, shooting under bright sun will result in magenta edge on both side, but not in other lighting condition. It's very apparent especially with blue sky, f8 or f2.

So I moved to M9 (new sensor) and the problem went away, now that I'm back to MP240, the problem didn't happen too...! I haven't swap lens to test but anyone notice magenta edge with M240 pairing with 35 cron asph? I'm not sure if it's the lens or body problem...

Refer to the attached images, it's not difficult to spot the color cast.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I would bet it's a mix of situations. Never had the M240, but I heard it is prone to some color cast with specific lenses. I have the CV 21/4, and with M10, sometimes, there is a slight Italian flag, but it's known that the same lens on the M240 is much worst.
Now, your 35 Cron is coded, so it should not show it, at least not like this. But I also have to tell you that in particular situations, my 35 Cron Asph I w/ my M10 shows some magenta (pinkish) cast in the skies. Easily editable in LR, but sometimes it is there.
Maybe the camera is more prone to color cast, and the lens, too, is giving it a little help. Just saying...

2 hours ago, Gregm61 said:

That dark dust spot in the top of the second file bothers me more than anything else I see, LOL…

Me too 😂 gotta give the sensor a good blow...

1 hour ago, Dennis said:

I would bet it's a mix of situations. Never had the M240, but I heard it is prone to some color cast with specific lenses. I have the CV 21/4, and with M10, sometimes, there is a slight Italian flag, but it's known that the same lens on the M240 is much worst.
Now, your 35 Cron is coded, so it should not show it, at least not like this. But I also have to tell you that in particular situations, my 35 Cron Asph I w/ my M10 shows some magenta (pinkish) cast in the skies. Easily editable in LR, but sometimes it is there.
Maybe the camera is more prone to color cast, and the lens, too, is giving it a little help. Just saying...

Woah, thanks for the information, didn't expect it to appear on the M10 too. Now it made me value my new combo more, I sold the m240 last year partly due to this, the same lens worked perfectly on my M9 though. 

Edited by Casey Jefferson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I also have a M 240 and the Summicron ASPH 35 mm, Version 1. I never experienced a color cast like this with this combination. My lens is coded and the camera on automatic recognition. Looked to me like the lens was temporarily not recognized. This may happen if there is some dirt on the detection window for the lens detection. If this was the reason you must see it in the EXIF data that the lens is unknown. Then try to clean the window. This may also happen sometimes if the lens is not properly locked.

4 hours ago, fotomas said:

I also have a M 240 and the Summicron ASPH 35 mm, Version 1. I never experienced a color cast like this with this combination. My lens is coded and the camera on automatic recognition. Looked to me like the lens was temporarily not recognized. This may happen if there is some dirt on the detection window for the lens detection. If this was the reason you must see it in the EXIF data that the lens is unknown. Then try to clean the window. This may also happen sometimes if the lens is not properly locked.

The lens was recognized, and the first image was the old combination. It doesn't show on all images, mostly apparent on blue sky and maybe occasionally on white walls, and in my case, more apparent on the right edge than the left.

I browsed Flickr and found a few images showing exactly the same problem (exif showing lens model means it's recognized), as well as an image or two posted here on leica forum.

2nd image is new body/lens and didn't show the problem, needless to say I'm happy with the new combo.

Optical illusion i suspect. Don't ask me how or why but been there done that with different lenses and bodies on blue skies. If you want to be sure just push red and/or magenta saturation and see if your corner becomes red or magenta this way.

Edited by lct

On 6/18/2022 at 3:24 AM, lct said:

Optical illusion i suspect. Don't ask me how or why but been there done that with different lenses and bodies on blue skies. If you want to be sure just push red and/or magenta saturation and see if your corner becomes red or magenta this way.

In my case my older combo exhibit the same magenta (actually more like purple sky) on the same portion consistently, it is more apparent when I try to get the dynamic range as much as possible and bringing out the color saturations.

Interesting to note it's actually appearing on white walls as well but it won't be visible as it's usually hidden in vignette and have to boost the color quite a bit to see it. But my new combo doesn't show it even with saturation and vibrancy all the way to the right.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 1:20 AM, lct said:

Just checked on the M11. No red or magenta edge at all (M11, 35/2 asph v1, f/2).

https://photos.smugmug.com/Diverse/n-QFBj4/Leica-M11-Leica-352-asph/i-FPbqxH6/0/8468ccd7/X4/M1002988_sips-X4.jpg

I'd be surprised if it's still a problem, it already a non issue on Sony body with BSI sensors so M11 is the first (correct me if I'm wrong) with such sensor.

2 hours ago, Casey Jefferson said:

I'd be surprised if it's still a problem, it already a non issue on Sony body with BSI sensors so M11 is the first (correct me if I'm wrong) with such sensor.

Indeed the M11 has a Sony sensor but i wanted to check to be sure. I will do the same test with my M240 when i have some time.

• Thanks 1

Same test as above with the M240, 35/2 asph v1, f/2. Still no hint of red or magenta edge/corner.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, lct said:

Same test as above with the M240, 35/2 asph v1, f/2. Still no hint of red or magenta edge/corner.

Appreciate that you went extra miles on doing the tests. Maybe I'm seeing things, but I can see just a smidge of it, and matches with some of my other samples with my old M240. I mean, generally it's a non issue most of the time, just when the light hit it just right the magenta edges was pretty obvious...

Interesting to note about the color rendering between M240 and M11, I simply prefer the M240 shot 😳

This is one that shot accidentally on f2, pretty similar.to yours...

46 minutes ago, Casey Jefferson said:

Maybe I'm seeing things, but I can see just a smidge of it

Photoshop says there is none. Just saturate reds and magenta and you won't see any red or magenta in the corners. 

51 minutes ago, Casey Jefferson said:

This is one that shot accidentally on f2, pretty similar.to yours...

OK if you allow me to butcher this nice pic, here is what happens when over saturating reds and magentas. As you can see there is no hint of red or magenta in the sky.

5 minutes ago, lct said:

Photoshop says there is none. Just saturate reds and magenta and you won't see any red or magenta in the corners. 

I assumed you did saw the color shift on one of the image in my initial post? Playing around red and magenta doesn't show much responses, too, yet we can see color shift there...