Sulfur carrier

carl_valiquet

16 minutes ago, benqui said:

Very impressive Carl! Must be a very hard job

Thank you benqui.

Indeed it is a hard job. Because of the sulfur fumes that they breathe everyday, their life span is reduced enormously. Some men carry 70 to 80 kilos in their baskets. They are paid by the kilo.Impressive place.

6 minutes ago, Louis said:

Carl, this is an awesome  picture with beautiful colors framing..

Thank you Louis. Ijen, one of my favorite places in East Java. The yellowish sulfur clouds ( fumes) give the place and eerie atmosphere and colors the atmosphere in a particular manner.

• Thanks 1

Picture is - as always! - superbe! From the composition, colours, to soft tonal transitions and graininess of the film. But most important is story behind - I once watch the documentary of those people. Not just from them, but also from others living and working in brutal condition, we can only learn, and silently big bow down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MaticB said:

Picture is - as always! - superbe! From the composition, colours, to soft tonal transitions and graininess of the film. But most important is story behind - I once watch the documentary of those people. Not just from them, but also from others living and working in brutal condition, we can only learn, and silently big bow down.

Thank you MaticB. You are so correct. Many human beings strive in hard conditions. These men consider themselves lucky to work and get a money to survive ( just enough to survive). But they pay with their bodies and health. This image is part of a documentary I made many years ago. It is a mix of still images and video images. It is not a perfect film but it is what it is. The people who inspired me to make this film are the workers themselves. I will send you a link of this film in your mail box. Regards. Carl.

• Like 2

On 6/11/2022 at 7:12 PM, carl_valiquet said:

Thank you Stuart. 

I actually hadn't commented yet because I've just now seen the image, but I'm sure Stuart would still agree with me. The photograph is beautiful for it's composition and colour, and also powerful for the information it provides. We take so many things for granted without realizing the human cost. I've lived several decades and never had any idea at all that somewhere in the world a person's life expectancy was reduced so I could strike a match. Thank you for sharing this dramatic image. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, fotografr said:

I actually hadn't commented yet because I've just now seen the image, but I'm sure Stuart would still agree with me. The photograph is beautiful for it's composition and colour, and also powerful for the information it provides. We take so many things for granted without realizing the human cost. I've lived several decades and never had any idea at all that somewhere in the world a person's life expectancy was reduced so I could strike a match. Thank you for sharing this dramatic image. 

Thank you Brent for your insight and altruism. To light a match or to sip a glass of wine ( some wines contains sulfites) and to think of these men and of the human condition is better than using sulfur to make gun powder and reduce the life expectancy of other human beings. Sorry for being dramatic.Just one of those days, after reading the daily news. Take care.Regards. Carl.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...