Focus adjustment at Wetzlar

satijntje

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Folks,

I recently bought a 75mm Summilux Version 1 Made in Canada, the one with the separate sunshade.
The lens itself was in a near mint condition but it had a backfocus on my M10-R
Agreed with the seller of the lens to reduce the price of the 75lux with the aproximate costs for a new focus adjustment in Wetzlar, so both seller and buyer were happy. 

CS  Wetzlar has proposed to bring the lens in the morning and pick it up in the afternoon again.
However they ask that I should leave my M10-R as well at CS with the 75Lux.
Does this mean that they might adjust also something on my camera?
This is of course not suitable, as all my other lenses are spot on with rangefinder focusing.
Just would like to know why they need the M10r as well 🙂
Thanks for your advice.

John

• satijntje changed the title to Focus adjustment at Wetzlar

Sorry in German: Das 75er Summilux ist sehr kritisch in der Justierung. Die Toleranzen von Kamera und objektiv können sich positiv oder negativ ergänzen. Deshalb brauchen sie wahrscheinlich die Kamera, um deren Toleranzen zu kennen. Zur Sicherheit würde ich aber sagen, dass sie an der Kamera nichts Justieren sollen. 

vor einer Stunde schrieb satijntje:

...  Just would like to know why they need the M10r as well 🙂 ...

Simply to achieve the optimum for your combination ... as Elmar has already written - the remaining tolerances of camera and lens can add up or complement each other positively or negatively. 

... after "Focus adjustment at Wetzlar"  , with picture (LUF)

Thorsten

Edited by Dao De Leitz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, satijntje said:

Just would like to know why they need the M10r as well

I had similar experience. I think they just want to check/adjust both variables to the standard setting. The notion that they match a body/lens combination is a myth, everything is adjusted to a standard and is then 'matched'. My body and lens were adjusted by different technicians.

vor einer Stunde schrieb pedaes:

...  My body and lens were adjusted by different technicians.

However, this does not exclude the specialized precision mechanic from checking the proper function of the entire system to the customer's satisfaction and - if necessary - optimize it within the tolerances in the final step.       They can do it right, but they don't always do it.   Thorsten

Edited by Dao De Leitz

Bought a new Summicron 75 that needed calibration out of the box. They asked me to send in the Summicron together with the camera (M10) and my other lenses, so enable them to check the combination of the camera and lenses. The result was very satisfying.