What a buy

edstock

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I saw on eBay a Leica 50 f2 SUMMICRON offered for sale. The price was right and so I ordered it. Arrived today, was I surprised, a never opened Leica box with the 50 f2, serial puts it at 2000 mfg, all paperwork, warranty, instruction, offer to join Leica Historical (already member), leather zipped pouch, caps. Obviously immaculate, glass and engravings. I plan on using it on my M4-P with an MR meter, and leica M grip. This has to rank as my Best Buy to date from eBay. I registered it with Leica USA, as are my other Leica products.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, lct said:

Where is it?

On his camera?

Congratulations on a great purchase, a 22 year old brand new lens is a rarity.  Still young by Leica standards and many members age on LUF.  I’m happy to have a few lenses older than me, one approaching a century. 

4 hours ago, darylgo said:

Like an unboxing video?

If we were a video forum why not although there are more and more videos here to be honest. Now the OP is describing his new/old lens with words which is certainly interesting but a picture of this gem would be appreciated on this good old photo forum. I will do it about my almost new in box Super-Angulon 21/3.4 when i find some time.

Edited by lct

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Certainly, a member of this forum with your extensive Leica experience and knowledge would know how to find an image of this type lens.  😀

My 21SA looks well used, the finder is cracked and fogged, so images of nice samples are appreciated.  Chrome or black?  Have you tried it on the M11 for the Italian Flag?  

Black. Bit of italian flag and smeared corners i'm afraid. Glad i did not buy it for the M11. My Kolari mod Sony A7r2 does better with this lens i suspect but i did not try it long enough on the M11 to conclude.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, lct said:

Black. Bit of italian flag and smeared corners i'm afraid. Glad i did not buy it for the M11. My Kolari mod Sony A7r2 does better with this lens i suspect but i did not try it long enough on the M11 to conclude.

I've never noticed smeared corners, more like poor definition of detail.  Perhaps that's hiding the smears.  

5 hours ago, darylgo said:

I've never noticed smeared corners, more like poor definition of detail.  Perhaps that's hiding the smears.  

Just taken a couple pics at f/8 and things look better there. The sharpness of the lens is still remarkable at the centre of the frame so i tend to let vignetting as is instead of pushing shadows in the corners. Could be interesting to open a thread about this lens on the M11 and other digital bodies perhaps. 

Agree, it would be an interesting thread.  I've never understood the appeal of the 21SA so I would like to see what others are doing with it.  I've kept it realizing my tastes in optics has changed from Apo type lenses to more classic lenses, sadly it doesn't fit the M/TL adapter eliminating the edges (Italian Flag) on the aps-c models.  I remember taking it to a demo of the M9 back when they were rare, the rep didn't know if the lens would hit the shutter curtains if mounted.  So, he allowed me to try it very carefully, I didn't feel any resistance or hear anything break, it clicked into place and we were both relieved when the shutter sound was unaffected.  

Apologies to the OP for hijacking your thread, feel free to take it back.  I hope you're enjoying your lens.