Leica M-A Titan GAS pictures.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Huss said:

My titanium F3P, Xpan and Rollei have had no issues.  But it is good you bring a pen into the conversation.

Slightly different specs. The Nikon is made of titanium, the Xpan is a combination of titanium and aluminium and the Rollei (I have one and it is a lovely camera) is only titanium coated. I mentioned the Parker T-I as it had to be discontinued due to the large amount of fractures, if you have one in good order you are sitting on a fortune.

3 minutes ago, Matlock said:

Slightly different specs. The Nikon is made of titanium, the Xpan is a combination of titanium and aluminium and the Rollei (I have one and it is a lovely camera) is only titanium coated. I mentioned the Parker T-I as it had to be discontinued due to the large amount of fractures, if you have one in good order you are sitting on a fortune.

I think the Leica M7 Ti was also made from solid Ti and that has had no issues.  One member here has one.  The complete set now goes for $300k… (camera and 3 lenses)

Funny u mention Parker pens.  I had a Parker Falcon in the bronze finish in school.  Back when we wrote w ink pens.  Wow hadn’t thought about that in years!

Edited by Huss
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, logan2z said:

Point taken, I agree that the Titan set is actually pretty reasonably priced considering the cost of the comparable 'standard' gear.  No doubt it will appreciate over time as well, which is a bonus - although if I owned it I'd use it and likely never sell it, so the investment potential would be wasted on me.

I’d use it too.  The value would still go up, just nowhere near as much as an unused set.  I think the only people who would not use it are non-photographers.  The temptation would be unbearable.

There seems to be two camps here - Leica once again polarising views.  While I have no interest in buying this camera - I couldn't even if I wanted to because it's made of unobtainium - I have to concede that a special edition film camera makes more sense than a special edition digital camera.  The film camera will be making photographs long after the Hermes M9 or the Lenny Kravitz Monochrom have given up.

8 minutes ago, Huss said:

I think the Leica M7 Ti was also made from solid Ti and that has had no issues.  One member here has one.  The complete set now goes for $300k… (camera and 3 lenses)

Funny u mention Parker pens.  I had a Parker Falcon in the bronze finish in school.  Back when we wrote w ink pens.  Wow hadn’t thought about that in years!

I use fountain pens all the time (several really). The trouble is they make Leica's look cheap these days. The Montblanc Imperial Dragon pen is £7,500 (£9,000 if you buy the set) and is made of plastic (they call it precious resin) not titanium. 😀

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/10/2022 at 4:52 PM, Huss said:

Why not do both?  Of course the kit is expensive but it depends on how one prioritizes their finances.  My car is paid off and 12 years old.  I know many many people who must have a new car every 2-4 years, and the avg price of a USED car in the USA is now almost $30,000!

Even if you use this kit and not hide it away the value of it will increase.  It actually makes sense to buy it if you were able to get hold of one.

Can I buy a Corvette for that money?

This is an absolute beauty - I sincerely hope I get one. They are 20.500€ - I actually think its a great user set up that will keep its value and even increase even if used. I think its actually more interesting than the MP titanium given the 50mm APO. This is going to be interesting to see what happens when they reach the secondary market in a few weeks. Most Leica dealer are still waiting for them to arrive. I guess I will know Monday or Tuesday if I managed to get my hands on one. Inshalla  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matlock said:

I use fountain pens all the time (several really). The trouble is they make Leica's look cheap these days. The Montblanc Imperial Dragon pen is £7,500 (£9,000 if you buy the set) and is made of plastic (they call it precious resin) not titanium. 😀

I'm sure there are different types of plastic/resin!  How times have changed - growing up we HAD to take calligraphy classes in England so that we had decent hand writing as adults!  And that was in the 1980s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raizans said:

Imagine that with a Voigtländer 50mm f/1.5 Nokton II in nickel and black paint, or the Heliar Classic.

One nitpick: Do the body screws have to be exposed on the M-A?

I have the CV in the nickel finish.  It is nickel and black, which works with black bodies but wouldn't be great on a Ti colour IMO.  I'd like to see the mighty Wtulens 17mm f16 on the M-A Titan.  That would be.... something.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, 250swb said:

I would be more impressed if somebody said they had bought a $20,000 photography, maybe by Adams, Steichen, Stieglitz, etc. than a $20,000 camera. 

Why do you feel you need to be impressed by other people's purchases?

Edited by Huss
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, 250swb said:

I would be more impressed if somebody said they had bought a $20,000 photography, maybe by Adams, Steichen, Stieglitz, etc. than a $20,000 camera. 

I buy a lot of photography all related to contemporary wars, conflicts and torture. Its a very niche collecting area so prices are ok but Depardon, Berbery, Burri, Baz, Vanagtemal, Meloni, Pellegrini, Winter, Adario all cost roughly the same. I have a Kudelka that was very expensive. I actually bought a Larry Clarck - Tulsa at an auction in London for only 375 gap. I don't think price matters nor impresses anyone. Its passion last fall I bought 30% of the entire AFP auction in monetary terms, still I did it because I love conflict photography and related art. 

1 minute ago, Huss said:

Why?

Because it would be about photography and not the vapid equipment 'bling' of the camera that has no inherent genius in itself. But if you have to ask I guess I already guessed where many people come from. Fair enough, buy what ever you like, or dream of, but I doubt the Titanium edition will ever be used to make any significant photographs, where I don't care what camera was used to make significant photographs. Art is art, not a camera.

14 minutes ago, M10Alpine said:

I buy a lot of photography all related to contemporary wars, conflicts and torture. Its a very niche collecting area so prices are ok but Depardon, Berbery, Burri, Baz, Vanagtemal, Meloni, Pellegrini, Winter, Adario all cost roughly the same. I have a Kudelka that was very expensive. I actually bought a Larry Clarck - Tulsa at an auction in London for only 375 gap. I don't think price matters nor impresses anyone. Its passion last fall I bought 30% of the entire AFP auction in monetary terms, still I did it because I love conflict photography and related art. 

I'm not sure of the point you are making? If you buy photographs of torture cheaply that is your perogative, but I was referring to photographs in a like-for-like price range with the Titanium M-A. I mean seriously, have you turned this into a debate about how many photographs of war and torture you can buy compared with an Edward Steichen photograph?

Edited by 250swb

31 minutes ago, Huss said:

I have the CV in the nickel finish.  It is nickel and black, which works with black bodies but wouldn't be great on a Ti colour IMO.  I'd like to see the mighty Wtulens 17mm f16 on the M-A Titan.  That would be.... something.

It can't be worse than this, can it?

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Ernest said:

And the Vienna 25th Anniversary M-A Hammertone came with a Hammertone MR-4 meter.

...and silver Noctilux 0.95/50

M6 titanium coated nice looking with Ti coated lens

• Haha 1