Autofocus / Peaking for S-Cameras

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear Lumix Users, 

I figuered out, that the AF is affected by the profil you are using. In Photomode like Vivid or natural. You can adjust these profiles manual in contrast, color etc. The more you push the contrast and color up the better the AF gets. So it is like the AF is affected by the "image" you see through the viewfinder. 

It is the same in Videomode. There you easily notice a different between VLOG and the Rec709. 

Last point is you have a big advantage in using a high contrast mode while focussing manual with fokus peaking. Flat pictureprofil does not show any peaking in comparison to high contrast profiles. 

When you are shooting raw and vlog you can set the profiles like you want, cause the outcome footage is not affected. 

I hope you understand everything, greetings from Germany

Ferdinand 

Edited by FlyandHunt

I must admit that this sounds strange, never heard of this behavior before. How do you observe that the AF gets better? Faster / more accurate? AF-S, AF-C? Which camera exactly?

I use 100% AF-S and since 2019 I had zero images where the camera focussed wrong.  Can't say anything about AF-C or filming.

In a flat profile some times the AF does not even find the point of sharpness and the square gets red and not green. Also it is faster in my opinion. You could easily test this by creating a flat profil and put the contrast down. In AF-S and the AF-C is more accurate and in filming really hunts less. 

I do not have trouble with my AFS. But it is obvious, that you can "improve" the AF by the settings. 

You can prove this by creating a flat and a contrast profil and than look what the focus peaking is showing. Than it is easy to understand, that different profile affect the AF aswell.

Using the S5.

Cheers

vor 21 Stunden schrieb jdlaing:

That is a very good explanation of the S autofocus but they don't mention that tweaking the settings of the JPG-engine influences the AF.

4 hours ago, tom.w.bn said:

That is a very good explanation of the S autofocus but they don't mention that tweaking the settings of the JPG-engine influences the AF.

I wouldn’t expect that they would.