Leica R 100mm Apo Macro Elmarit f/2.8 versus Sigma 105mm f/2.8 DG DN Macro Art Lens for Leica L

John Smith

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

80mm Componon f4 built for slide duplication, optimized for 1:1. I use it on a Beselar slide duplicator, which has a 3200K light source

Sheesh.

Or you can use a Nikon ES-1 attached to the front of a 1:1 macro lens.  Things have moved on technologically in the last few decades, no? 😃

On 6/9/2022 at 5:51 PM, Stuart Richardson said:

The SL summicrons are extremely sharp, but they will not get you close enough, even if you are shooting 4x5. Maybe 8x10….

I haven't tried it myself, but if one has a 90mm APO SL, perhaps it may be worth trying a close up adapter like the Nisi and save some €€€

https://en.nisioptics.com/nisi-close-up-lens-kit-macro-photography

3 hours ago, Simone_DF said:

I haven't tried it myself, but if one has a 90mm APO SL, perhaps it may be worth trying a close up adapter like the Nisi and save some €€€

https://en.nisioptics.com/nisi-close-up-lens-kit-macro-photography

I thought about getting something like that but I opted for keeping it simple. The reviewer I read probably got a bad copy because other reviewers raved about the sharpness of the Sigma. It’s an L-Mount and I could probably use a macro in the future. Funny thing, I guess I could use multi-shot on some of these slides if I wanted to. 

vor 15 Stunden schrieb AZN:

Sheesh.

Or you can use a Nikon ES-1 attached to the front of a 1:1 macro lens.  Things have moved on technologically in the last few decades, no? 😃

The light source is continous and dependable, cameras set to tungsten, so the wb is dependable. The set up is rigid. The lens is fantastic. For 35mm digitizing this works exteremely well. For 2 1/4 I use a Kaiser copy stand and a Nikon 55 f2.8 and the same light source. ES-1 or ES-2 works too, just I question somelight sources. 

On 6/11/2022 at 7:30 PM, AZN said:

Things have moved on technologically in the last few decades, no?

For 1:1-optimized copy lenses? Probably not much. 1:1 is a special case where a symmetrical lens will provide optimal results.

You can still purchase Rodenstock Apo-Rodagon D lenses (the D is important) that are optimized for 1:1. These lenses are suitable for even the finest microfilm, so they are arguably over-qualified for duplicating negatives and slides. Their stated magnification range is 0.8:1 to 1.2:1.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

14 hours ago, BernardC said:

For 1:1-optimized copy lenses? Probably not much

For the bellows focusing, numerous adapter mounts, copy stand, anti-newton rings glass holder and cold-cathode lighting? – definitely 😃

17 hours ago, BernardC said:

For 1:1-optimized copy lenses? Probably not much. 1:1 is a special case where a symmetrical lens will provide optimal results.

You can still purchase Rodenstock Apo-Rodagon D lenses (the D is important) that are optimized for 1:1. These lenses are suitable for even the finest microfilm, so they are arguably over-qualified for duplicating negatives and slides. Their stated magnification range is 0.8:1 to 1.2:1.

Usually the D lenses are not so useful, and the N lenses to be preferred for reproduction. Have a look at the detailed features of each lens type.

But if you prefer the D that is ok for me, but most users don’t.

2 hours ago, caissa said:

Usually the D lenses are not so useful, and the N lenses to be preferred for reproduction. Have a look at the detailed features of each lens type.

But if you prefer the D that is ok for me, but most users don’t.

The D are optimized for 1:1, which is what I was talking about. The N are optimized for 2-20x. It's not a matter of preferring one or the other, they are both extremely good within their specified operating range. You would use the D for reproducing slides and camera negatives, and the N for copy work or in a darkroom.

Thank you for the suggestions. The Sigma works great. I picked up this Novoflex slide copying attachment and things couldn’t be easier.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!