Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Rva:

has somebody tried this lens on Leica CL? 

Thanks for the information, Radim 

Hi Radim, 

Not on a CL but on a T - works fine, no wonder it's a full frame lens on a APS-C Camera (n.b.: It works also fine on my M :) ).

Here is a review (full frame M) - perhaps it helps you:

http://photo.imx.nl//leica/styled-22/

• Like 1

I considered it, mostly I wanted a 24mm equivalent on my M8. I ended up with the Zeiss 18 f4, smaller, takes 58mm filters. I maybe wrong but there were issues with filters  on the Leica 18mm. The Zeiss works fine on my CL, but I have the focal length covered with the 11-23 which is a better lens. But if you wantto use the Leica 18 on an M too, the 11-23 won't help. If you just want a different 18 for the CL check out the 11-23, a fantastic lens that is not too large.   

59 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I considered it, mostly I wanted a 24mm equivalent on my M8. I ended up with the Zeiss 18 f4, smaller, takes 58mm filters. I maybe wrong but there were issues with filters  on the Leica 18mm. The Zeiss works fine on my CL, but I have the focal length covered with the 11-23 which is a better lens. But if you wantto use the Leica 18 on an M too, the 11-23 won't help. If you just want a different 18 for the CL check out the 11-23, a fantastic lens that is not too large.   

Apart from Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8, I was thinking also about Elmarit-M 21/2.8 asph or Elmarit-M 24 mm F/2.8 because of the wider aperture. Currently, I have Leica Cl with TL 35/1.4.  I have come to use mostly manual focus.

I have (as I own one for my M's). It's better than the pancake 18, as would be expected, but then loses the 'pocket-ability' and af of that lens. The 24mm 2.8 asph, another lens I have, is excellent on the CL, and comes in about the same size (though not weight) as native L alternatives. 

I have 2 lenses that are TL the 11-23 Super VarioElmar and the 23 Summicron, I use either a 35 Summilux pre asph or a 35 Zeiss f2.8 if I want the 50 equivalent, I like small lenses if they are available. I generally have the 11-23 or the 23 on the camera  and carry 55 7Artisan f1.4 or a 50 Summicron V1, the 7Artisan focuses to 1ft so it generally gets the nod. Anyway the AF lenses can be focused manually by depressing the shutter release halfway. The 11-23 is such a good lens I wouldn't write it off just because it is AF, it is that good. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 minutes ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

I have 2 lenses that are TL the 11-23 Super VarioElmar and the 23 Summicron, I use either a 35 Summilux pre asph or a 35 Zeiss f2.8 if I want the 50 equivalent, I like small lenses if they are available. I generally have the 11-23 or the 23 on the camera  and carry 55 7Artisan f1.4 or a 50 Summicron V1, the 7Artisan focuses to 1ft so it generally gets the nod. Anyway the AF lenses can be focused manually by depressing the shutter release halfway. The 11-23 is such a good lens I wouldn't write it off just because it is AF, it is that good. 

11-23 isn’t particularly fast at a modest f/3.4 max aperture, I need a bit faster lens.

vor 13 Minuten schrieb Rva:

11-23 isn’t particularly fast at a modest f/3.4 max aperture, I need a bit faster lens.

But the 18 is f3.8, which is about where the 11-23 is at 18mm. The Leica 21 or 24 f2.8 Elmarits are good options. The latest 21 asph is also an f3.8. If you wantto break the bank there are Summilux lenses at both focal lengths. When I first had the CL I had a 25mm f3.5 Canon LTM, a tiny lens, I early on decided I wanted something faster. After considering these lenses as well as the 21 Voigtlander Ultron (the f1.4 Nokton wasn't available then) I settled on the  23 Summicron, found a used one at a good price. The 21 or 24 Summilux were way out of my price range.

2 hours ago, tommonego@gmail.com said:

there were issues with filters 

The red line at the front of the lens is to remind you that the front element is proud of the lens barrel. Hence you are correct, a filter could touch the lens element.

I own the 11-23 and 18mm TL lenses, as well as the 18mm f3.8 Super Elmar and have used all three to some extent on my CL.

If I had to pick only one to carry with me, the first choice would be the 11-23, second would be the 18TL. The 18mm Super Elmar, when it doesn’t cover a true 18mm field of view, just isn’t as exciting a lens to use as it is on the M bodies.

I own every TL lens in the system and the 11-23, in my opinion, is the best of the bunch. If I had to choose just two lenses to take with my M bodies, it’d be a 21/35 duo, which the 11-23 covers in one continuous range and then some on the CL without having to change lenses. Anyone owning a CL or T series camera should own that lens.

Edited by Gregm61