28mm Summilux f1.4 and Q2 28mm Summilux f1.7

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Leica M Lenses Forum members 

I am new to the forum and apologise for my cross posting in the Leica M Type 240/262 Forum.

I have a Q2 with a fixed 28mm f1.7 Summilux lens. I recently bought a  M11 and I am considering buying a 28mm f1.4 Summilux one of my prime lenses because I am a 28mm shooter. The cost of a single 28mm f1.4 Summilux is more than a Q2, so one would expect this lens offers higher optical precision/performance and renders.

Taking into account the Q2 28mm Summilux has a macro option and the standalone 28mm Summilux has the advantage of f1.4 when fully open and, the different pixel range of the two cameras (Q2 47 megapixel / M11 60 megapixels), are there any posts or articles that compare how these two lenses perform against each other?

I would be grateful for advice with this as I am weighing up the pros and cons and the cost of buying the 28mm f1.4 Summilux.

Thanks

Edited by light_rhythm

Difficult to compare lens to lens, as the Q2 results obviously are affected by camera/lens design integration, including software optimization.  The 28 M Summilux, however, is optically stellar, with equally obvious size and weight considerations.

Some related discussions might provide some insights…

I don’t own either. The 28 Summicron ASPH v.1 suits my M shooting and print needs.

Jeff

I still have both (although Q2 will go into acount for incoming APO 35), and one of the reasons for this decision was, I couldn't uncompromising accept "Q2 - Summilux 1,7" rendering. It is somehow "to perfect" in in-focus areas and on the other side it lack smoothness in unfocus areas. Meanwhile, Summilux 28 is in both respects true, stellar Leica lens!

When I got Q2, my first opinion was "I don't need 28 Summilux any more!", but  I'm glad now, I didn't sell it. It is just my personal impression.  

2 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Difficult to compare lens to lens, as the Q2 results obviously are affected by camera/lens design integration, including software optimization.  The 28 M Summilux, however, is optically stellar, with equally obvious size and weight considerations.

Some related discussions might provide some insights…

I don’t own either. The 28 Summicron ASPH v.1 suits my M shooting and print needs.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff, these are very helpful links.

1 hour ago, MaticB said:

I still have both (although Q2 will go into acount for incoming APO 35), and one of the reasons for this decision was, I couldn't uncompromising accept "Q2 - Summilux 1,7" rendering. It is somehow "to perfect" in in-focus areas and on the other side it lack smoothness in unfocus areas. Meanwhile, Summilux 28 is in both respects true, stellar Leica lens!

When I got Q2, my first opinion was "I don't need 28 Summilux any more!", but  I'm glad now, I didn't sell it. It is just my personal impression.  

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.