Summicron 50mm Rigid Inscriptions

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone!

The Summicron Rigid is one of my all time favorite lens, but there's something that always annoyed me in mine. 

So, most of you know that there are 2 kinds of rigids, the V1 and the V2. There are a few differences, mainly aesthetic wise, on the lens body and the front inscriptions. Speaking about the front, the V1 most of times have the old style leica font and the "5cm" specification, while the V2 has the newer format ("50").

As it happens, mine has the older V1 body and the V2 front inscription, so I was wondering if this is could be original or if the front is actually from a V2 version.

I searched about it and found quite a few summicrons just like mine on ebay and Google images. But naturally that doesn't say much since people could have also done the same modification.

I know I could try to unscrew it to check if the serial numbers match, but mine's very tight and I don't wanna risk it.

Anyone knows anything about it?! (Mine looks just like the one depicted)

Thanks everyone!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

the serial form the front element is printed in the tube, too. You can detach the front part by rotating it counter clock wise. Then you should get two separate units (aperture ring plus front and distance ring with back element). If the two serials are different you have a recombined Summicron from two lenses.