FW 1.4.0 (multi field) exp metering experience

tom0511

• tom0511 changed the title to FW 1.4.0 (multi field) exp metering experience

For me it feels improved, certainly.

In no real way do I find it reliable enough since I can't quite figure out the logic of what makes it trip up and underexpose (less common) and overexpose (much more common) on scenes that seem rather simple.

The other day I was shooting with my Voigtlander 21/3.5 ASPH and most of the images were about 1EV underexposed, with plenty of deep blacks that would have previously gone +2 EV over. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And then one has scenes where one channel is on the verge of clipping... here's a image from yesterday.

I have been using the highlight-mode since 1.4 came out. It feels like a regular mode, I am not seen heavy underexposure to save the white clouds.

In a shoot of 700 fames on the card, about 9 of them when upon exposure 6 stops.

It is unpredictable, in a set of 10 frames at 100 iso there is one that goes to 25000 iso for no reason.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Center-weighted is still best (IMO) for making sure I don’t blow highlights. It’s not fooled by oddly-placed bright areas in the frame that can trip up matrix or highlight-weighted modes. I shoot center-weighted with +1/2 stop of exposure compensation, and exposure is perfect 95% of the time.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I had been sticking with Center-Weighted before FW update, but Multi-Field now seems dramatically improved for me. I just started using Multi-Field again this week, and dare I say it has been functioning like a slightly improved version of the M10 meter. Both in Manual and AP. Not perfect, but improved, and agree leans to the underexposed side. But that is essentially my habit anyway and the shadow recovery on M11 files have a good bit of latitude.

Oddly enough, I went for Multi-Field after the M11 Center-Weighted seemed to become inconsistent in otherwise predictable lighting scenarios. 

Hi, I get some some massive overexposed pictures. This is especially uncomfortable when I try to shoot a pano. See this examples. ISO and shutter speed on auto.

Is there a possibility to report bugs at Leica ?

On 6/30/2022 at 1:40 AM, JapanFoto said:

Hi, I get some some massive overexposed pictures. This is especially uncomfortable when I try to shoot a pano. See this examples. ISO and shutter speed on auto.

Do you not see the overexposure before taking the shot or are you not using exposure preview (either permanent or on half-press of shutter)? For panos, you want to be shooting in full manual to avoid differences in settings from shot to shot: manual shutter speed + ISO + WB. You can align WB in post, but setting it manually to Daylight saves time later.

Report issues to: info@leica-camera.com 

On 6/30/2022 at 3:40 AM, JapanFoto said:

I already had a ticket for it  and the fix will be included in the next FW update. date is still not known.

Edited by Photoworks
  • Thanks 4