L-system - Why poor sales?

Ivar B

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 hours ago, sblitz said:

I had a 24 and the store in NYC was reluctant to buy it (was swapping for a different lens). They told me 24 was an in-between lens with no real market. Its development came out of need for a 35mm on a crop sensor. With those disappearing, well its not a 21 or a 28. As for the OP, I have the SL2-S and think it is a great camera (I have film Ms) and makes the most sense in a studio where a TTL view has more value (to be at least) -- plus it can be tethered. IQ is great as well ... I have no L mount lenses, I use my M and R lenses on it (even some old screw-mount lenses) and they all deliver. 

This is b*llocks.  Just as those that say that there is no market for a 28mm lens and no market for ...

In the case of the M lenses, the 24mm f1.4 has a very attractive rendering, although it is slightly less sharp than the 21mm f1.4 which has an even more attractive rendering, at least for closer subjects.  I suspect that the Voigtlander 21mm f1.4 is technically superior being more recent, but the reality is that such wide angle lenses are speciality items and so there is more likely to be a better choice of lenses in more popular brands, such as Sony, where the development costs can be amortised across bigger sales.

Edited by jrp

-wondering if the friends and family deal will move more folks to the SL system.

I’m on the fence because I have two systems already/ a (1) M10 with Cron 35 and pre-war Zeiss 50 and Visioflex and (b) a hulking Nikon D850 with the 24-70 and 70-200 2.8s. I don’t want to let go of the M10 et al and I know I’ll lose at least 50% selling the Nikon system.

On 7/22/2022 at 7:51 AM, BernardC said:

I think you forgot to mention that this was an M 24mm lens.

24mm isn't a traditional focal length for the M system, for very simple reasons. 28mm is just about the widest angle that you can see through the viewfinder (depending on your camera's magnification ratio). 21mm has a long history, and usually requires an external viewfinder unless you are good at visualizing a 90 degree horizontal field of view.

24mm is in-between, it needs a viewfinder, but isn't much wider than 28. As you store mentioned, it was popular on the M8, but has been discontinued since.

24 or 25mm on other cameras is a completely different thing. SLRs and mirrorless cameras don't have that awkward step between viewing through the optical finder and requiring a dedicated external finder.

I shoot the 24 lux with Live-View for quick frame-up easy peasy. Super easy to use zone focusing with this lens too for faster than any AF system performance just mind shutter speed for subject matter, I suspect it is Leica themselves that caused the demise of the 24 Lux by pricing it as a Noctilux lens. 

Edited by LBJ2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, LBJ2 said:

I shoot the 24 lux with Live-View for quick frame-up easy peasy. Super easy to use zone focusing with this lens too for faster than any AF system performance just mind shutter speed for subject matter, I suspect it is Leica themselves that caused the demise of the 24 Lux by pricing it as a Noctilux lens. 

I agree with you about the 24. My favourite way to use it is with a bubble level in the hotshoe, and scale focusing. It's easy once you get a feel for the lens's coverage.

Nevertheless, it's not a "traditional" M focal length. It was only introduced in the late 1990s (2.8 ASPH), and seems to be discontinued now.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2022 at 4:47 PM, hwilms said:

I would not listen to any advice from this store. 24mm is , was, and will be a very popular focal length. "need for a 35mm on a crop sensor" ... bullshit.

The 24 Elmarit ASPH came out a few years before the M8 was even announced. The 24 Elmarit ASPH on the X2 was designed for that camera, however. Peter Karbe said it was the first lens designed to meet their new performance standards (reflected in the SL lenses and the 35/50 M APO lenses).

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The 24mm Lux is one of my favourite lenses! 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

they're really pushing the SL2 bundles and stuff, got this today via Leica Thailand

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Haha 6

29 minutes ago, frame-it said:

they're really pushing the SL2 bundles and stuff, got this today via Leica Thailand

You'd expect something a bit more up market than Nespresso and a Breville...........I'm a hopeless coffee snob and find myself discouraged tbh

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, BernardC said:

It's a local promotion, half way around the planet from you. I wouldn't let it discourage you in your search for the best coffee.

Sorted I settled on Algerian Coffee Stores in Soho, London a very long time ago

18 hours ago, huwm said:

You'd expect something a bit more up market than Nespresso and a Breville...........I'm a hopeless coffee snob and find myself discouraged tbh

The Leica boutique in Bangkok is the worst I have ever visited with the most unfriendly staff I have ever seen. They deserve that crappy Nespresso.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...