M6 (non TTL or TTL) or M7 advice

Advertisement (gone after registration)

57 minutes ago, madNbad said:

In the winter of 1982, I bought a Commodore 64. My friends and I spent two days putting it together the another two writing the program to make the little biplane take off, do a loop and land. All of it was saved on a cassette tape. If this is the type of circuitry we’re discussing, someone should be able to fabricate areplacement board for the M6.

If that is the circuitry we are discussing, someone should be able to whittle one while sitting on a rocking chair on their porch.

Really funny how everyone gets worked up by Leica electronics, when they're actually pretty reliable (you don't see anyone going crazy about the fact their Nikon FM2 lightmeter MAY die some day). I guess it goes hand-in-hand with the price and the idea that these cameras should last "forever," but in all likelihood if you're using a Leica M6, the lightmeter is gonna outlast you. On the off chance it does die, and you'd prefer the metered camera, you can likely sell the camera as-is and buy a new one for less than the cost it would have taken Leica to repair the meter in the first place (wasn't it around $1000?) 

On 6/16/2022 at 1:55 PM, nicelynice said:

I guess it goes hand-in-hand with the price

Indeed. An M6 is probably about as reliable as an FM2, but 10x more expensive. And the vast majority of film cameras are cheaper than an FM2. If they break, you can (for now) just get another one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I never had M7, but I do have M6.

I like my M6, but honestly I dislike to set the exposure manually!! it is nice when you don’t hurry and have time , but if you practice street photography or whant to capture moving object M7 should be much better.As many stated Leica M7 is before everything else Leica at first place. It is 100% serviceable and I’m pretty sure reliable.

• Like 1

I don't see the need for people to get so defensive when others point out that the camera (meter) may not be repairable if it breaks. The OP is buying specifically because they want a meter built in, so it's only fair to make them aware of the facts.

Of course they could buy an M6 and it will carry on working just fine for the next 50 years. Or, it could fail in a few weeks and then they're back to owning a meterless camera.

The other option is to buy an MP as that's a current model.

• Like 1

Am 16.6.2022 um 01:55 schrieb Huss:

If that is the circuitry we are discussing, someone should be able to whittle one while sitting on a rocking chair on their porch.

I‘m pretty sure that statement is more or less intended to make us laugh and not meant serious.

The circuitry needed here is somewhat complex analogue technology. It requires a comparison between the set film speed and the measurement of the light falling on the sensor. The programming we talk about is AFAIK only to adjust the sensor‘s behavior over light values (it’s curve). The values/correction values are identified during a calibration process and programmed into an integrated circuit (which has been discontinued longer time ago).

A new circuitry n Ed’s to developed pretty much from scratch satisfying the requirements of the input (sensor & white dot), the output (LEDs) and things like size (miniaturization), low power consumption etc.).

I would expect a couple manyears in total, taking into account the template they have with the MP, but still worth a couple 100k€. I don‘t know whether people would pay about something around 1000€ for a replacement PCB…

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Having owned a M6 TTL, with .85 VF, and still own a M6, and a M7, gives me a pretty fair feel for all three. The M7 is one fantastic camera, I purchased mine, new, with the .58 VF. Carried it all over half of Europe on various trips. My M6, after a CLA is good as new. I sold my M6TTL when I was downsizing the number of Leica's I had. All have had progressively new improvements. The "best" is purely subjective in the individual.