6 months down the road: tough going?

setuporg

34 minutes ago, lct said:

The OP used to post on M240 and M10 sections too if memory serves me well. 

I got ‘em all, M9-P, all the monochroms, Edition 60, film M-P, M10-R, Q2, SL2, S 007, so post where appropriate.  The M11 is the first that the body rejected so far.:)

Edited by setuporg
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, setuporg said:

I got ‘em all, M9-P, all the monochroms, Edition 60, film M-P, Q2, SL2, S 007, so post where appropriate.  The M11 is the first that the body rejected so far.:)

But you do post also in forums where you do not have a camera, don't you ;-).

Nothing wrong with that, except, IMO, the intensity of the negativity. My perception is that you are on a mission :).

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SrMi said:

My perception is that you are on a mission :).

Aren’t we all on a mission here?:). Some folks posted several thousand times. Instead of taking pictures.  I guess the obsession over details comes with the territory.  I am an early adopter in general but the M11 baffled me so as all the rest it’s good to discuss it here.  In terms of debating cameras one doesn’t have, nobody could beat our venerable @Jeff S:)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, setuporg said:

Aren’t we all on a mission here?:). Some folks posted several thousand times. Instead of taking pictures.  I guess the obsession over details comes with the territory.  I am an early adopter in general but the M11 baffled me so as all the rest it’s good to discuss it here.  In terms of debating cameras one doesn’t have, nobody could beat our venerable @Jeff S:)

I couldn’t care less what others buy… other than occasionally joking with you about owning everything.  I make my own judgments and post about them.  Others are free to reach different conclusions. BTW, have you seen any debate from me regarding the M11?  I didn’t think so. 

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

M10-R is a terrific camera, but it has been idle for months as I’ve been using the M10/9 Monochroms.  No need or interest in a new color digital camera.  Even less so since I’ve not been an early adopter of any new M platform (skipped M8 for M8.2, skipped M9 altogether until buying a used Monochrom, etc).  I’m content to let the dust settle, address inevitable teething issues, etc, and evaluate based on anything lacking in my current gear.  Nothing lacks for now; if anything, I’m more inclined to sell than buy.

Jeff

• Thanks 2

The mechanical stapler shutter sound is my least favorite part of the M11. Leica may further dampen the shutter with the M11-P. But they could improve the M11 considerably by adding EFCS via firmware. It's ludicrous that the SL2/SL2-S and M11 do not have it.

• Thanks 1

I have not used my M10-R since I purchased the M11 in January. 

The M10-R is a great camera and I'm happy to keep it as a backup should the need ever arise. But the M11 is superior in many, many ways (as documented in so many threads on this forum). 

Most importantly for me, the combination of increased resolution and change in color "chemistry" suit my work better than the M10-R. 

• Like 2

Sometimes not the technologies which a camera posses that clicks with me, but the feeling and experience from that very camera matters more, in this case is my m2r and the bp m10r 

dont really care much what m11 is boasting its sensor with, by today’s standard my photography needs is overwhelmed by the ability a camera offered, in fact i probably need a baseplate more than a BSI sensor

i should have waited for the next iteration M11, be it a p or safari, or even a D, but my curiosity plays a part here, on pre order 

• Haha 1

This thread has been useful to me, as my only gripe with my M10 is its propensity to blow highlights, but that's less an issue these days as I instinctively expose appropriately and have long known what limits I'm looking at.

I've been waffling on getting an M10r or an M11 though - all of the improvements sounds nice but they are ones I don't really care about and haven't seen a need for in my work. The M11 sounds great, to be honest, and if money were no object I'd probably go for that, but it matters here and all I really want is an M with a bit better DR. I've already got M10 batteries and am used to the menus and still love my M10.

Given reports about IQ being so similar  - which is the only improvement I'm looking for - and all of the comments about M10r's just sitting around collecting dust - if anyone wants to part with their M10-r for a fair used price please drop me a PM - I promise it will get use. The more banged up (and more affordable) the better - long as it works perfectly.

• Haha 1

I am new to Leica, arriving from the Canon world mainly (and some Sony and Fuji).  I have the M11 and I cannot give the perspective of an M10 user, but after reading through this thread I can't imagine you need that anymore.

What I can say is that I found the transition to Leica seamless.  Some hiccups due to my lack of familiarity with the brand hands-on, but no operating issues, and the images are impressive.  I am not seeking to take valuable pics but rather technical proficiency. But Alas, some of the images are indeed usable.

I was intimidated by the hard focusing on 90 lens (no issue at all. very easy actually both through the rangefinder and the LCD.  No issue setting up my preferences and no complications on taking fast pics without having to go through submenus.  I am walking around, and see something ahead and it takes me a second to set up the aperture and focus and shoot.  

i did miss a couple of great shots on focus because I need more practice with distance evaluations for hyper focus and because, in another case, I rushed the shot. But the camera gave me exactly what I gave it to work with.

So I am happy with it.

The only thing is how it sometimes gets locked/ bricked. But I am working on understanding that one.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, S Maclean said:

I am new to Leica

Welcome to the club!  Many new users will pick the latest model and this is great.  M11 is a great camera, no doubt, these debates are for those who have the previous ones and are probably minor compared to the joy of switching to any Leica.

• Like 1

I see no reason that anyone needs to be convinced about the M11. M's, after all, are an emotional purchase. Leicas are one of the few brands people bond with in the photography world, so it makes sense that some times some people won't want the M11. I didn't really bond with the M10R but I did instantly with the M11. Others are the opposite. What I see as great may be "meh" to someone else. What I see as a nothing may be a huge deal. What is true is the M10R and M11 are different. We are lucky to have two options that are both excellent cameras in the right hands.

There have been some cameras I haven't bonded with (Mamyia 7II, M10R, Fuji XPro2, Canon 5D2) that I thought were ideal for me and those I have adored (XPan, M9, X1D, 907x). I'm not even completely sure why. The GFX100S is demonstratibly better than my X1D but I still prefer the latter. The XPro2 should have been my ideal AF backup to my M's but it sits in a drawer.

We don't have to like what others do or what is new or popular. We're all photographers. That's enough.

Gordon

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

I see no reason that anyone needs to be convinced about the M11. M's, after all, are an emotional purchase. Leicas are one of the few brands people bond with in the photography world, so it makes sense that some times some people won't want the M11. I didn't really bond with the M10R but I did instantly with the M11. Others are the opposite. What I see as great may be "meh" to someone else. What I see as a nothing may be a huge deal. What is true is the M10R and M11 are different. We are lucky to have two options that are both excellent cameras in the right hands.

There have been some cameras I haven't bonded with (Mamyia 7II, M10R, Fuji XPro2, Canon 5D2) that I thought were ideal for me and those I have adored (XPan, M9, X1D, 907x). I'm not even completely sure why. The GFX100S is demonstratibly better than my X1D but I still prefer the latter. The XPro2 should have been my ideal AF backup to my M's but it sits in a drawer.

We don't have to like what others do or what is new or popular. We're all photographers. That's enough.

Gordon

And it’s obvious that there’s a great need, or a drive, to discuss it too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree, a very subjective decision. And it is also about what one is after. Imo the M10r feels more ‚classic‘ Leica M, classic sound, classic exposure metering how it allways was, classic bottom plate and weight.

The M11 includes some changes, which makes it a little bit more ‚modern‘ IMO. Some may appeciate these changes ( I certainly do) , for others the new shutter sound or ‚missing‘ bottom plate might be something they dont like.

and then there is The sensor…I dont go into this point, besides my opinion is that both are capable of great IQ.

Pretty content with the M11. Latest firmware cleans up most bugs. Controls are clean and simple. Camera body to me is close to perfect, cleaner and more minimalist than predecessors.

Only shooting DNG so far. They require some tweaking, am still not able to shoot properly OOC without any PP needed, but the files are most elastic with exceptional dynamic range.

The additional resolution of course is a blessing. Was never into cropping, now the resolution allows for a much more flexible shooting style.

Not sure I'd upgrade from an M10. But of course many M11 complaints are from defensive M10 owners. 

I'd say this M11 might hold its power for many years to come.

• Like 2