Need help for Leicaflex SL2

ceggio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, I bought this Leicalfex SL2 for nothing because the seller, wanting to change the battery compartment, made a big mistake in this small mechanical part (see photo) and could no longer put it back together.
I thought maybe I could do it on my own...
I need some advice if any of you have done this before...
Thanks !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

That's the brake assembly ... I've not removed the part myself but it's illustrated in Thomas Tomosy's "Leica Camera Repair Handbook" in the Leicaflex section ... 9 pages . I cannot copy the dismantling / reassembly instructions. The book commands a premium price s/h as it's out of print  ... keep looking and you might find a copy. Peter Loy sometimes has a copy listed ... but none in stock currently. 

2 hours ago, ceggio said:

Thanks for the information ! Great forum here.

I will try to find this book.

But if someone already has it and can send me with a copy of the page that corresponds to my problem, I'm interested !

Copyright infringement!!  If you are UK based you can, through your local lending library, borrow a copy ... provided a UK lending library somewhere in UK has same ... can be shipped via library network to any other lending library. 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

Speaking as a probably long-forgotten book author of the 1990s, I can't imagine that copying a single or even several pages constitutes actionable copyright infringement, let alone one that warrants exclamation marks.

Back in the days when I used to do research at the Science Reference Library in London (now absorbed into the British Library), students would line up at the self-service photocopier to copy parts of books. The library set a limit to how much of a book could be photocopied - around 10% if my memory is right.  

So Ceggio's request seems a legitimate one.

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/11/2022 at 9:45 AM, roydonian said:

Speaking as a probably long-forgotten book author of the 1990s, I can't imagine that copying a single or even several pages constitutes actionable copyright infringement, let alone one that warrants exclamation marks.

Back in the days when I used to do research at the Science Reference Library in London (now absorbed into the British Library), students would line up at the self-service photocopier to copy parts of books. The library set a limit to how much of a book could be photocopied - around 10% if my memory is right.  

That's right. Academic libraries (I don't know about local authority public libraries) paid some sort of composite fee to some national copyright agency or other, which then permitted them to allow their readers legally to photocopy up to 10% of a book or journal volume. They didn't have to keep any individual record of what had been copied - they just had to ensure that readers complied with the 10% rule at the time of copying. That was a long time ago - I don't know what the position is now.

Also, if I wanted access to a journal article, and my university didn't subscribe to that particular journal, it could be got from the British Library at Boston Spa via Inter Library Loans. ILL often just copied the article in which I was interested under the 10% rule, and send the article in the post to our library (much cheaper than posting the whole heavy bound volume for me to peruse).

On 6/11/2022 at 9:45 AM, roydonian said:

Forum is governed by German law not UK law and I had no wish to infringe any forum rules. Maybe our moderators can give a ruling as to whether using the forum as a vehicle to distribute several pages of a relatively recent (less than 25 years old) technical publication is in order?  If they and forum Admin advise it's OK then that's fine. 

The book's publishers state on page 2:  'No part of this publication may be reproduced .... etc etc  ... without written consent from the publisher' 

I was not trying to be a 'spoilsport' ... just playing safe to avoid reaction from forum admin. And I made a suggestion to the OP as to how he might be able to borrow the book. 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

55 minutes ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

I was not trying to be a 'spoilsport' ... just playing safe to avoid reaction from forum admin. And I made a suggestion to the OP as to how he might be able to borrow the book. 

Speaking as an ex-IP Lawyer, making a single copy of a single page for personal (ie. non-commercial) use falls well withinn the definition of "Fair Use" WRT copyright.

Maybe not in North Korea though…

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, AZN said:

Speaking as an ex-IP Lawyer, making a single copy of a single page for personal (ie. non-commercial) use falls well withinn the definition of "Fair Use" WRT copyright.

Book is published in USA where IP law is more stringent than in other countries. 

• 1 year later...

My apologies for taking so long to get back to you, but some time ago I had accidentally deleted the page pics. I have now recovered these from an old backup, so if you send me a private message giving your email address, I'll get these off to you.

Thank you - unfortunately I cannot create a private message here, the forum won’t let me. 

I have set up a temporary email address that should work (I’ll delete the address after receiving your message):
plexus_motes.0y@icloud.com

On 6/24/2022 at 11:45 PM, AZN said:

The forum runs under German law which does not have the concept of "fair use" It does have "Zitatrecht" which is more restrictive.

https://studentorgs.kentlaw.iit.edu/ckjip/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2013/06/08_5JIntellProp1422005-2006.pdf

A legal minefield better avoided.