What after M11 (Stefan Daniel's interview)

SrMi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

29 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

The M12 should be a digital version of the MD-2 - no EVF or OVF. 

That way, everyone will have something to complain about and the entire Leicaverse will then be "happy." 😃

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

And a 2mp CCD sensor, lol.

• Haha 2

vor 8 Minuten schrieb Herr Barnack:

That's the "sweet spot" for sensor size, right?

yes :) and I'm for direct stream digital (DSD) for photography not only for audio. 1-mp sensor and you have to make an equivalent from 2,8224 Mhz releases to get a high solution picture. Tripod required.

But what I wait really for the M12 Monochrom is a black and white OVF :) 

• 3 months later...

Mike Evans (macfilos.com) writes about Stefan Daniel's comments at the LSI meeting in Dublin.

An M with EVF raised a lot of interest among LSI members, and Stefan Daniel seems to be (reluctantly) agreeing to ship such a camera if there is enough interest (several thousand). LSI will poll its members to judge the interest.

Edited by SrMi

7 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Mike Evans (macfilos.com) writes about Stefan Daniel's comments at the LSI meeting in Dublin.

An M with EVF raised a lot of interest among LSI members, and Stefan Daniel seems to be (reluctantly) agreeing to ship such a camera if there is enough interest (several thousand). LSI will poll its members to judge the interest.

Like it or not, can see it’s coming,  the power of the mass 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SrMi said:

An M with EVF raised a lot of interest among LSI members, and Stefan Daniel seems to be (reluctantly) agreeing to ship such a camera if there is enough interest (several thousand).

Thanks for sharing. A polite manner to say no i suspect since several thousands sounds unlikely but it is good to ask the question anyway.

3 hours ago, lct said:

Thanks for sharing. A polite manner to say no i suspect since several thousands sounds unlikely but it is good to ask the question anyway.

I don’t think it’s that unlikely given the popularity of the Q and M cameras, but I guess they have to consider the fact that an EVF M could eat into the sales of both. Do we know how many Qs or Ms they sell of each model? “Several thousands” doesn’t sound that out of reach to me. 

7 hours ago, raizans said:

Haha, Mr. Daniels is handling the "M means messucher" crowd with aplomb.

The EVF-M is coming in 2023. 🤞

Both with flying pigs i guess :D. Just kidding. I would be the first buyer of an EVF-M but the M11 and the new VIsoflex are so good that my need for an EVF-M is not as strong as it used to be. As for the "several thousands" potential buyers it would be fair to include the price in the poll in case they believe in fairy tales i.e. that the EVF-M would be less expensive than the M11 ;).

I’m a newbie to Leica with my recent M11. I feel it can be smaller and lighter to keep to the spirit of it. My Nikon Z 50 is a great, “little” camera that is lighter and much easier on the hands. I’m also intrigued with the Pixii rangefinder which takes M lenses over APS-C sensor.

I feel there should be an M line like current M and a smaller one with APS-C sensor like the Pixii, in a way replacing the CL but in back to basics and traditions way.

These can be split into a high tech, high feature version - EVF, stacked sensor, IBIS, even tillable rear display 😃 not sure how much MF aids can be improved, but it would be nice to “revolutionize” that to make MF much easier with or without rangefinder.

then there’s the traditional, basic stuff like the Pixii or the D models. no rear display. Perhaps lower res sensor, no IBiS etc.

Also, Leica can innovate on better phone connectivity like the Pixii that seems to take on a smartphone as core function approach.

Dreaming out loud (can anyone play at this game), give the new camera a new model designation, perhaps X, leave the rangefinder off, add a Fuji X100F style metering and focusing system, keep it full frame, and design it around lenses that fully couple to the body electronically.  As for looks, keep it just like an "M", but allow the rear screen to pivot, and add an electronic fill-flash just like Fuji.

On 10/20/2022 at 4:25 AM, lct said:

in case they believe in fairy tales i.e. that the EVF-M would be less expensive than the M11 ;).

So you mean people who say that "the rangefinder assembly is the most expensive part of the Leica M" are also in la la land?