Possible problem with purchase

mzbe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@mzbe you’ve provided no evidence that you were sold a used camera as new. A manufacture date 15 months ago does not constitute such evidence, as others have explained, and neither does a lack of hot shoe cover, again as others have explained.  
It does appear as though you’ve jumped to an unjustified conclusion. 

Posted (edited)

I think folks should really think twice before trashing a retailer. These guys live (as do all businesses) solely by reputation. No one is perfect but the OP has not offered an ounce of evidence that anything he said is true. We all know that a hot shoe cover is not always an added feature when buying a new camera. Please be more careful in the future.

On 6/3/2022 at 2:00 PM, mzbe said:

Thanks Erik - in my experience with Global Blue, they keep about 30% of the VAT refund as 'handling fee', so not 20% back, plus currency exchange fees ... Also not sure if I will have time to make it to the Leica stores in London and Paris while I am there, prefer to have the camera beforehand

That's been my experience with Travelex, which used to do the VAT refunds at LHR (maybe they still do - they went into administration during the pandemic and shed a lot of facilities and jobs). And who wants to shlep all those body/lens boxes around on a trip? You can dump them, but some buyers throw a hissy-fit if you don't include the boxes.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Chuck Albertson said:

You can dump them, but some buyers throw a hissy-fit if you don't include the boxes.

Perhaps in the existential meaning of 'dump' in that it can refer to 'not bothered with, I don't care' which can then be associated with a perfectly good camera. Or is it just waffle for hiding something? Sellers create the existential question with buyers of honesty and provenance when they get rid of boxes for Leica cameras, so don't blame the buyers.

Edited by 250swb

• 2 weeks later...

My SL2-S doesn’t come with a hot shoe cover and doesn’t need one.

My M10 came with one to cover the contacts for the EVF. The first thing I did when I got it was to put it in a box for safe keeping in case I sell the camera. It too doesn’t need that cover. The body is weather sealed.

• jaapv changed the title to Possible problem with purchase
On 6/3/2022 at 11:00 PM, mzbe said:

Thanks Erik - in my experience with Global Blue, they keep about 30% of the VAT refund as 'handling fee', so not 20% back, plus currency exchange fees ... Also not sure if I will have time to make it to the Leica stores in London and Paris while I am there, prefer to have the camera beforehand

Should you happen to go through an airport with a tax-free airport camera shop you could order the camera ahead and avoid the refund process.

8 hours ago, frame-it said:

so only the hotshoe cover was "missing" ?

No, seal was also re-taped. I sent back the camera and in the process of getting a refund from B&H (minus handling charge). Happy with the new camera purchased elsewhere. Back to previous comments in this thread it appears that indeed Leica does not include a hotshoe cover with the SL2-S (to my surprise). Since B&H was not available to clarify this issue on 11:30am Pacific time on a Friday, and given the broken seal, I stand by my choice to exercise my right to return the camera and buy a replacement from a trusted dealer.

9 hours ago, jaapv said:

Should you happen to go through an airport with a tax-free airport camera shop you could order the camera ahead and avoid the refund process.

Would that not impact the global Leica warranty if you purchase from a non-authorized Leica dealer?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, mzbe said:

No, seal was also re-taped. I sent back the camera and in the process of getting a refund from B&H (minus handling charge). Happy with the new camera purchased elsewhere. Back to previous comments in this thread it appears that indeed Leica does not include a hotshoe cover with the SL2-S (to my surprise). Since B&H was not available to clarify this issue on 11:30am Pacific time on a Friday, and given the broken seal, I stand by my choice to exercise my right to return the camera and buy a replacement from a trusted dealer.

"B&H had the chutzpah of sending me a used, 15 month old, camera, sold as 'new', with parts missing (e.g. no hot shoe cover)."

You've shown your ignorance or inability to check first before claiming the hot shoe cover was missing. You've been told in this thread how Leica make and distribute cameras in batches so some will have older dates than others. You've ignored the slowdown in distribution of many goods because of Covid.  And still you imply B&H are untrustworthy. A snowflake in June, who'd a thunk it.

Edited by 250swb

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2022 at 6:14 AM, jaapv said:

No, it would not.

That's an interesting comment.  I have an email from Leica USA specifically stating they refuse to warranty any product not purchased through an authorized Leica dealer.  I purchased a new CL through Amazon that indicted a Leica 2 year manufacturer warranty.  An Amazon representative stated they were an authorized dealer and also offered a 30 day return window if the camera was defective.  When I tried to register the camera Leica's website wouldn't allow the registration process.  On checking with Leica USA they informed me of the refusal of warranty coverage.  I've attached the email below.

Amazon Leica Purchase.pdf

Edited by Ba Erv

Yes That is Leica USA. However Leica’s factory warranty is worldwide and not limited by purchase history. Also for used gear within the warranty period. It would even be illegal otherwise for a European company. Your local importer is taking advantage of a specific USA legal loophole but cannot stop you from using the factory guarantee by sending the gear to Wetzlar. You can register your camera ( not required for guaranty, proof of purchase is sufficient) by contacting the factory customer service. 

It’s actually moot now.  I sent the camera back to Amazon for a refund.  Irrespective, someone is misleading the consumers.  The email from Leica USA specifically states “manufacturer’s” warranty, it doesn’t state Leica USA warranty.  Leica AG is the manufacturer not Leica USA.  I think this should be a warning that consumers better beware of Leica USA warranty claims that fall outside the narrow scope of their definition of authorized dealer.  

I was aware that Leica USA would not honor a warranty when I bought a grey market R4 in the 1980s. Since I've never needed to use a camera warranty I didn't care. Still don't.