Possible problem with purchase

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I received a SL2-S today from B&H Photo. I am about to depart on a trip through Europe, including my niece's wedding, and need a camera for videography purposes.

B&H had the chutzpah of sending me a used, 15 month old, camera, sold as 'new', with parts missing (e.g. no hot shoe cover).

Of course, since now it's Friday 11:30am on the West coast, their customer service cannot be reached at the time and they are about to celebrate an extended religious holiday in the next couple of days.

B&H are mostly OK, but I have seen multiple reports over time that their 'speciality' seems to be what happened here, i.e. selling returned products as new without sufficient quality control. Not sure what the recommendation would be, I don't think it's practical to avoid them completely, as due to the breadth of their portfolio many items cannot easily be purchased elsewhere in the US (e.g. color filters for my M10M).

Solution: I will return the camera to B&H. Sam Shoshan from Classicconnection was able to help me out and is sending an actual new camera out today. Stupid me, should have bought from Sam right away, not B&H (with their only upside being the small convenience of being able to add other bits and pieces to the same order).

Edited by Guest

I'm sorry to hear about this. I've had nothing but good experiences with B&H over my many purchases (Leica and otherwise). Mistakes happen. How they deal with the problem is what differentiates one camera store from the next. It's unfortunate that your circumstances necessitate an immediate solution given your imminent departure for Europe. In an ideal world, it would have perhaps been best to buy your gear sufficiently in advance of your trip to resolve any problems (faulty equipment for example).

I would add that you could always buy your Leica gear in Europe (in-person) and claim the 20% VAT back at the airport. Food for thought.

Erik

1 hour ago, mzbe said:

no hot shoe cover

My SL2-S came new with no hotshoe cover, as did my SL 601 and SL2, all bought new with no suspicion they were used.

The discussion about it at launch of the SL 601 was that it didn't need one (because the camera is dust and water proof), and would only get lost. It convinced me, but I would be interested to know if others got a hotshoe cover.

1 hour ago, egrossman said:

I'm sorry to hear about this. I've had nothing but good experiences with B&H over my many purchases (Leica and otherwise). Mistakes happen. How they deal with the problem is what differentiates one camera store from the next. It's unfortunate that your circumstances necessitate an immediate solution given your imminent departure for Europe. In an ideal world, it would have perhaps been best to buy your gear sufficiently in advance of your trip to resolve any problems (faulty equipment for example).

I would add that you could always buy your Leica gear in Europe (in-person) and claim the 20% VAT back at the airport. Food for thought.

Erik

Thanks Erik - in my experience with Global Blue, they keep about 30% of the VAT refund as 'handling fee', so not 20% back, plus currency exchange fees ... Also not sure if I will have time to make it to the Leica stores in London and Paris while I am there, prefer to have the camera beforehand

46 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

My SL2-S came new with no hotshoe cover, as did my SL 601 and SL2, all bought new with no suspicion they were used.

The discussion about it at launch of the SL 601 was that it didn't need one (because the camera is dust and water proof), and would only get lost. It convinced me, but I would be interested to know if others got a hotshoe cover.

Thanks @LocalHero1953 - I assumed part was missing as without hot shoe cover the electrical contacts are exposed? There is a reason why hot shoe covers exist (and are included with all my other Leica cameras)?

My only Leica camera with a hotshot cover was my M240. I suspect that is because the cover is non-standard and also plugs into the socket for the EVF2, which, being fairly miniature, is probably more susceptible to dirt and moisture. Certainly my SL2 never had one.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If a camera is properly weather-proofed it shouldn’t need a hot shoe cover. Modern electronics ought to be able to isolate a circuit if there is no device connected. 

But I am just passing on my experience and previous discussions on the subject, and have no authoritative knowledge. My Q2, which is also weatherproof, does have a cover. 

That situation is definitely a drag, but I have only glowing reviews for B&H. 20+ years, countless thousands spent and never a single problem.

I find it vanishingly unlikely that B&H could be in business for as long as they have, with the sort of love they get from so many, if this experience were not an outlier. 

• Like 2

Years ago, B&H had world class horrible customer service, but they solved that.  In the last 20 years I've only had good experiences with them.  timing was most unfortunate, with them being closed for the sabbath and a holiday.  I suspect if they were open, you'd have gotten satisfaction.

It's a good idea to get a camera enough in advance of a trip to get familiar with it.

• Like 2

Same here, no hot shoe cover came with my SL. I can appreciate the need for a cover on the M240 because of fluff from clothing getting into the Visoflex socket, otherwise I agree with the idea they are just something to lose, it's not like sparks are going to come off the electrical contacts without it. If they come with a camera they are simply cosmetic.

Regarding the OP's camera being fifteen months old I hope the OP appreciates cameras are made in batches by Leica, and with a slow build time due to Covid it may just be it had taken fifteen months before it reached a shop. It usually works by all dealers all having to wait so their is no favouritism, then all get an allocation at the same time.

Edited by 250swb

I wonder how you determined the age of the camera? Leica builds in batches and ships over the subsequent period, and the camera may have been on the shelf at B&H for a while too. Were there any signs of use?

Good point. ARe you shure it was used? You write that parts are missing and you put it "e.g. hot shoe".  As we learn from other posts here that might be even correct. What else do you think is missing? I hope for you that the camera is not used at all and things are ok after all. At the end a storm in the cup?

Edited by M11 for me

8 hours ago, kivis said:

Me thinks someone is yelling fire in a crowded theater. B&H gets an A+ from me.

+1,

I have no experience of B&H, but a massive retailer knows such poor behaviour would come back and bite them, not least from Leica, they have nothing to gain from selling second hand equipment as new. But I guess we all know now that very soon B&H will have a returned SL2-S for sale.

Edited by 250swb

I know the SL2 doesn't need it, but it seems odd that any Leica camera (or any camera for that matter) would come without a hot shoe cover.  It costs them virtually nothing and at the very least it would protect the contacts.  

I use thumb grips on my M10-R & Q2 unless I have the flash on it, which isn't that often, and just keep the hot shoe covers in the original box.

I have been a B&H customer since 1993 - I have never had a bad experience when buying cameras, lenses or accessories. 

@mzbe It is hard to believe that B&H would charge you $5200 for a used SL2-S.  I cannot figure how that would have happened.  At best, it should have designated it an "open box" camera and sold it at a reduced price.  JMHO...

Edited by Herr Barnack

• jaapv changed the title to Possible problem with purchase