Customer satisfaction survey Leica M11 owners

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What you see in EVF/LC is a video stream. You can stabilize digitally it by shifting the viewing frame up/down/left/right. You loose a bit resolution in the edges, but that does not matter. The stabilization is always on (why would you turn it off?). It is especially helpful when magnifying with longer lenses.

13 minutes ago, SrMi said:

What you see in EVF/LC is a video stream. You can stabilize digitally it by shifting the viewing frame up/down/left/right. You loose a bit resolution in the edges, but that does not matter. The stabilization is always on (why would you turn it off?). It is especially helpful when magnifying with longer lenses.

Thank you. I can't find any info about this in the M11 manual--perhaps I am using the wrong search words.

11 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

Thank you. I can't find any info about this in the M11 manual--perhaps I am using the wrong search words.

There is no documentation, AFAIK. I deducted the knowledge from what I know about other cameras and what Leica representatives said.

15 minutes ago, SrMi said:

There is no documentation, AFAIK. I deducted the knowledge from what I know about other cameras and what Leica representatives said.

How to do I do this?  "shift the viewing frame up/down/left/right" is there a setting in the menu required to be able to shift viewing frame ? Or do you mean physically shift the camera itself while viewing LV or Visoflex ?

Edited by LBJ2

11 minutes ago, LBJ2 said:

How to do I do this?  "shift the viewing frame up/down/left/right" is there any settings in the menu required to be able to shift viewing frame ? Or do you mean physically shift the camera itself while viewing LV or Visoflex ?

There is no setting in the menu.

Assume you have 60fps in EVF/LCD. Every 1/60 sec a new frame is displayed. If you can align the frames in- the camera (by shifting the image a couple of pixels) as they are displayed, the image will look more stable. Here is a link to Wikipedia: Digital image stabilization.

4 minutes ago, SrMi said:

There is no setting in the menu.

Assume you have 60fps in EVF/LCD. Every 1/60 sec a new frame is displayed. If you can align the frames in- the camera (by shifting the image a couple of pixels) as they are displayed, the image will look more stable. Here is a link to Wikipedia: Digital image stabilization.

Thank you. I think my Covid fog is still lingering. I'll read up on the URL reference. 

I have also found this note distributed to the dealers at the launch of M11:

10) What is the difference between Live View Stabilization and IBIS?
The Live View image stabilization is a pure electronic image stabilization. It is not intended for taking still shots. An in-body image stabilization is a hardware function that moves the image sensor. Unfortunately, there is not enough space for this feature in the body of the M11.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SrMi said:

I have also found this note distributed to the dealers at the launch of M11:

10) What is the difference between Live View Stabilization and IBIS?
The Live View image stabilization is a pure electronic image stabilization. It is not intended for taking still shots. An in-body image stabilization is a hardware function that moves the image sensor. Unfortunately, there is not enough space for this feature in the body of the M11.

Thank you, I think this is strange wording "It is not intended for taking still shots" and what probably caused my initial confusion. 

Of course we are ALL going to take still shots with the M11 AND LiveView stabilization particularly since this is an automatic feature ( can't be turned off) while we use Live View or VisoFlex 2 magnified mode. I think maybe something got lost in the translation. 

I think this is a good feature that can be helpful in some scenarios. 

• 2 weeks later...

Admitedly my experience with Leica prior to the M11 is limited.  I have shot with the M10 versions, The M being the most impressive.

The advantage, or at least different POV of someone like me is that I am actually not used to the shutter sounds of prior M's or the baseplate legacy etc.  As such, the M11 is superb (to me)

Coming from the world of Canon DSLR (and some Fuji, sony and Nikon) the less traditional aspects of the M11 are not so much a departure from the norm (to me) but familiar digital photography trends.

In other words, I am getting the Leica experience I was craving for, but not loosing some of the advantages of dslr photography (Sacrilege)

I did get the electronic vf out of insecurity but find that I am seldom using it anymore.  The rangefinder is faster to me and a better overall shooting tool.  I got a walter Leica magnification golden thingy to help with the 90 lens (which I use quite a bit) and that alone has taken my success rate of fast shooting with that lens from a 70% to a 90+%. (I am 51 and have tired eyes). As such the stabilization future is not that relevant to me.  There's been a couple of times when the EVF has been critical, mostly shooting very low wide angles where the vertical view is easier than getting on the floor.

I love the fast battery change, I love the use of the camera on the field and most importantly love the results.

I thinks this POV will be close to null to most on this site, which are long standing Leica Photographers, but for the odd newbie like me it may help shake a little the bias that traditionalists may carry.

Images taken with m11: Car 50 lux, dessert and bike 35mm cron/ Alley Voigtlander 15mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 13

On 7/22/2022 at 1:34 AM, elmars said:

Are You sure? In german we have a saying: Das Auge isst mit (the eye eats with). If an eye can eat, an ear possibly can take photos.

Missed this response months ago @elmars. Of course the saying makes sense because a good tool should feel very good in the hand and to the eye etc....personally I like the sound of the M11 - but understand that the camera operated differently to previous models.

• Like 1