Q2 Monochrom vs GFX 100S (aliasing)

32 minutes ago, Olaf_ZG said:

Not the most inspiring images though…

I do not get your point.

Pictures of color checkers or DPR studio scenes are not inspiring neither. However, inspiring pictures are not useful for technical evaluation.

3 minutes ago, SrMi said:

I do not get your point.

Pictures of color checkers or DPR studio scenes are not inspiring neither. However, inspiring pictures are not useful for technical evaluation.

Sorry. My point is more that pixelpeeping - especially nowadays - is so useless.

Both cameras are state of the art. Actually more one can not (or should not) wish for.

But, usage for both is so different, that comparing them doesn’t make sense. 

For sure, colour from gfx is better, for sure, the q is easier to carry every day, bla bla. Fact is, the cameras compliment eachother greatly and some discrepancies on 1000% zoomed should not bother anyone.

Better use both cameras to create images which inspire people to make work. 

but then, it might be just me who doesn’t care about the latest specs.

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 6/3/2022 at 5:08 AM, SrMi said:

I do not get your point.

and whats the point of comparing 2 different sized sensors?

vor 2 Stunden schrieb frame-it:

Could be that one is good for a job that doesn't create lots of aliasing, and the other for cases where it shows more easily.

2 hours ago, frame-it said:

Sensor size matters only for image quality. Comparing the IQ of two different cameras is done often.
Some people wonder whether removing CFA helps at all. However, the measurement shows that it does help.
Some photographers feel that the amount of aliasing is a crucial element of IQ. But, on the other hand, some people never notice any aliasing in their images.

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

Aliasing depends mainly on pixel size, but using the right raw converter can make a difference. too.

Removal of CFA apparently also helps reducing aliasing.

I'm not sure some people posting in this thread realize how important these test results can be for some of us. The GFX 100S is a formidable camera for B&W conversions, however, even at 100mp it can be quite prone to aliasing. Needing to move to a 44x33 sensor with a resolution of 200mp to equal the lack of aliasing in the Q2M is a big positive for the Q2M and by proxy, the M10M and all of Leica's monochrome cameras.

• Like 2