new Sigma 16-28/2.8 DG DN

MediaFotografie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, Olaf_ZG said:

I hope indeed that i am wrong 😇

L-mount Alliance only cooperates on the lens mount specifications, including communication protocols, power, and other electrical specifications. It does not cover adapters, development of sensors, AF, etc…

This is why, when Leica and Panasonic want to work together more closely, they formed L2.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, beewee said:

L-mount Alliance only cooperates on the lens mount specifications, including communication protocols, power, and other electrical specifications. It does not cover adapters, development of sensors, AF, etc…

This is why, when Leica and Panasonic want to work together more closely, they formed L2.

That’s not entirely true. They cooperate on firmware, bodies and technology as well. The alliance is not just about lenses.

3 hours ago, jdlaing said:

That’s not entirely true. They cooperate on firmware, bodies and technology as well. The alliance is not just about lenses.

Source? Mine is from Leica.

Firmware, etc… is a byproduct of lens-mount specifications. Yes, Leica and Panasonic can collaborate more deeply, but it is not through the L-mount Alliance but in addition to that.

1 hour ago, beewee said:

Source? Mine is from Leica.

Firmware, etc… is a byproduct of lens-mount specifications. Yes, Leica and Panasonic can collaborate more deeply, but it is not through the L-mount Alliance but in addition to that.

Seeing as everybody has to have some sort of “proof” like a friggin police detective when somebody makes a corrective statement please read the following excerpts carefully. It is NOT restricted to lenses. The whole gamut of technology is shared between the alliance members, of which there are four now.

Kazuto Yamaki (Sigma), Andreas Kaufmann (Leica Camera) and Junichiro Kitagawa (Panasonic) during the announcement of the alliance on 25 September 2018 at photokina in Cologne

The L-Mount Alliance is an alliance between Leica Camera AG, Panasonic and Sigma, launched on 25 September 2018, whereby Panasonic and Sigma will make use of the L-Mount standard initially developed by Leica and will offer cameras and lenses utilising this lens mount with improved firmware and full compatibility among these Alliance products.[1][2]

On the same day, Panasonic announced its S1R and S1 full-frame L-mount cameras,[3] and Sigmaannounced a full-frame L-mount camera using the company's unique Foveon sensor technology.[4][5]Panasonic's cameras will launch with three new lenses, and Sigma will initially release the same L-mount variants of existing lenses as they are producing for the Sony E-mount.[2][6]

Six cameras and 39 native lenses have been announced for the L-Mount by 2020.

And from the alliance website. Please read the last sentence of the first question, first paragraph:

https://l-mount.com/en/q-and-a

• Like 1

On 6/5/2022 at 1:29 PM, beewee said:

I would argue that it is certainly not because the 28-70 doesn’t cover 21mm. I predominately shoot on the wide end so 21mm and 24mm are my most used focal lengths for ‘normal’ shooting but it would also be very beneficial to have a standard/normal focal length around 50-70mm. The problem is that the 28-70, 24-70, 24-90, do not have a 21mm focal length coverage. While the 16-28, and 16-35 do not cover the standard focal length.

Currently, my most used lens is the 16-35 SL because it covers the key focal lengths I need, while providing decent enough quality (stopped down) at 24MP. But I wouldn’t say I enjoy using this lens. I tolerate the size and bulk as a trade off for the image quality it can produce. If Sigma can sell me a lens at half the weight with the similar focal length coverage, I would take that lens instead for sure. Even if it wasn’t 100% weather sealed, it would be 1/5th the cost and I can buy multiple copies should any get damaged over time.

I’m not looking for a super zoom like those 18-200 or 24-240 because they compromise optical quality too much. If I’m shooting with a zoom, I’m already making a compromise for specific reason such as saving weight and/or avoiding having to swap lenses in specific shooting scenarios. But I’m also trying to maximize the image quality by picking a zoom lens that covers the focal length I need while not hugely compromising the image quality. Otherwise, I’d be using a prime lens. So if I had to pick a high quality zoom with a limited range (i.e. <3x) I would choose something around 21-50 with a slight trade off in range on the tele end for a larger aperture of f/2.8.

I would love a super like that, the advantage of using a smaller sensor camera. I often use a Nikon 28-200 on my CL. Focus Peaking is great, so small with no motor, the ultimate in walk around travel lenses