L squared technology = Panasonic selling Lumix ?

nicci78

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you think that L squared technology alliance is the first sign that Panasonic will sell its Lumix division? 
Isn’t that weird that Panasonic let Leica drive the new alliance by giving to Wetzlar the key of their R&D ? 
Panasonic is suspiciously emphasised the Lumix brand instead of Panasonic. Making a sell of their camera division easier. 
Another clue : camera division is nowhere to be found in their 2022 fiscal year statements. 
GH6 was the sole camera product to be talked about at their CES présentation. But is only got mentioned for 5 seconds…. Even micro-ovens got 100x more airtime. 

Panasonic sold less mirrorless cameras than OM system in 2021… making Lumix and Leica the two smallest mirrorless manufacturers in the world. 

Edited by nicci78

It is interesting. Camera’s is more that just camera specs to the max. My feeling: Now the offer is in limbo - much of this (video and vlogging) and intermixed much of that (oh, yes, stills, but who does that?). At least for the S5. Maybe it is also prefernces on the other continents. 

I think the S5 is really great but has a weird user interface - not like Leica would do, as they focus better on photography. That allows a premium.

Time to grab the S1 at a discount?

But where does it leave Sigma? They made quite some lenses for the L-mount. May be they stepped out due to disappointing sales?

I bought my SL for use with m-lenses mainly, but added a panasonic and sigma as well.

Not sure if L2 is enough to survive for the SL series, which would be a pity. I never considered panasonic for stills, they are video (in my eyes). May be Leica wants to explore this more?

15 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Do you think that L squared technology alliance is the first sign that Panasonic will sell its Lumix division? 
Isn’t that weird that Panasonic let Leica drive the new alliance by giving to Wetzlar the key of their R&D ? 
Panasonic is suspiciously emphasised the Lumix brand instead of Panasonic. Making a sell of their camera division easier. 
Another clue : camera division is nowhere to be found in their 2022 fiscal year statements. 
GH6 was the sole camera product to be talked about at their CES présentation. But is only got mentioned for 5 seconds…. Even micro-ovens got 100x more airtime. 

Panasonic sold less mirrorless cameras than OM system in 2021… making Lumix and Leica the two smallest mirrorless manufacturers in the world. 

Well, a worry had been that if Panasonic exited the mirrorless/Lumix market, that Leica might lose the cooperation and support necessary to continue development of the SL system.  So, in that case, I would consider this potentially comforting news.

Jeff

I offered some speculation here: 

This sounds like a lot of cross licensing of IP but I don’t think it will materially change a lot for the end user.

Reading between the lines, I see potential for some of the following:

• Panasonic will contribute towards the electronic component design such as ASICs, sensors, ADCs, DACs
  • Leica will contribute towards imaging pipeline, colour science, and optical design expertise
  • Panasonic may go as far as assisting with the system design/engineering on the electronics side for future M, SL, Q, etc… cameras
  • Leica will continue to license their branding on ‘Certified by Leica’ Lumix optics
  • Panasonic may offer Leica expertise in manufacturing to streamline their process and reduce cost
  • Leica may go as far as co-developing and/or licensing zoom lens designs with Panasonic, kind of like the Sigma / Leica SL 24-70 lens
  • Panasonic offer ‘Leica co-branded’ (not just Certified by Leica) lenses similar to their micro 4/3 line-up
  • Leica may gain expertise in low-power electronics design to help improve battery life further
  • Panasonic may offer Leica more OLED EVF hardware for SL, Q, and M systems
  • Leica may gain access to Panasonic’s electronics supply chain to leverage better cost savings and in highe volume purchase of electronic components
  • Should Panasonic develop phase detect AF in future generations of cameras, the future SL bodies will get the same benefit

Looking into the future, L2 offers Panasonic an opportunity to offload their camera business, similar to Olympus’ camera division turning into OM Digital. Likewise, L2 may offer some of Leica’s shareholders an opportunity to offload their ownership to L2. At some point, L2 may become publicly traded or a wholly owned company that gains a partial or complete ownership of either the Lumix division and/or Leica Camera AG.

• Like 1