Quick fix

edstock

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I noticed the aperture ring had finally given up the ghost on my Leica Summicron 28 f2 asph. It had worked itself loose to where it would just whirl with no definite stops. So I sent it to DAG and had it back in record time. Don advised that some parts had worked loose and needed tightening up. He also performed a check of the entire lens for operability. Now it's just like new out of the box. This lens was made in 2001, with 1000 being produced. I also have my 35 f2 asph which is starting to show looseness in the aperture ring. A trip to Don is on the horizon. It was made in 2000, with only 1000 being produced. 

• Like 2

Leica seems eager to keep Don busy by its all too frequent occurrence of loose aperture rings on brand new, recent lens releases, even for expensive lenses like the 50 M APO Summicron.  Three samples I tested suffered from the same behavior, so I called Don and asked if he could tighten up a new lens if I decided to purchase one.  He said no problem. I ended up keeping my 50 Summilux ASPH instead, which Don made perfect years ago by fixing its sticky focus action (after Leica tried to fix, but could not).  Don is the man.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S