• 3 weeks later...
M10 Monochrom
Leica 0.5" Soft Release #14010
35mm Summicron ASPH #11-882
240 Safari set lens hood
M10 Grip #24018
Match Technical EP-MX-F Thumbs Up
Harry Benz B strap

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, ejg1890 said:

Curios what’s the purpose or the benefits of the soft release buttons? I haven’t tried one in the past.  Thanks

Personally I have numbness in my fingertips, (some say my brain too, but that’s a different matter 😳) and the soft release gives me a better feel of the shutter button. It also gives more control of the shutter. 

Edited by OThomas

1 hour ago, ejg1890 said:

Curious what’s the purpose or the benefits of the soft release buttons? I haven’t tried one in the past.  Thanks

Used properly (gentle pressing under your index finger top knuckle rather than tip), you are less likely to jab the camera causing camera shake, and a soft release can therefore help gain you another stop or two in terms of getting sharp images from longer shutter release times.

• Like 3

I never used soft releases. Then with the M11 I tried one, man I would never go without, it transforms the feeling of the M shutter release. Of course it brings issues, I have lost one so far and recovered another one (that I thought was lost). The difference in feeling of the release without that little soft release! I would have not believed the difference. In fact I don't like my M11 without the soft release.

Things have moved on since the development of the first soft release technology and nowadays the use of high tech Formula 1 grade rubber can give you a perfectly tuned soft release finger instead. The rubber formula reduces heat build up during high intensity street photography yet doesn't deform so there is no slippage off the shutter button. But I guess the key feature everybody will appreciate is that it is a universal soft release and works with all cameras, so no more having to buy six, seven or more for your Leica's, and it will also work with all your Hasselblad's as well.  

• Haha 5

Well these posts did peak my curiosity as I have seen many of these soft buttons, and thanks to the miracle of Amazon I ordered a set last night that was delivered today. I did see the benefit in the initial tests. Nothing real big but testing a 50mm lens I was able to consistently (75%+) get stable shots at 1/15. Didn’t try 1/10 so dont know if I can drop any lower. Not bad as I can do 1/15 w the Q2M that has stabilization. 

A question I do have is if anyone uses the rubber ring that comes with the soft button? Thanks

On 8/29/2022 at 12:41 AM, ejg1890 said:

Well these posts did peak my curiosity as I have seen many of these soft buttons, and thanks to the miracle of Amazon I ordered a set last night that was delivered today. I did see the benefit in the initial tests. Nothing real big but testing a 50mm lens I was able to consistently (75%+) get stable shots at 1/15. Didn’t try 1/10 so dont know if I can drop any lower. Not bad as I can do 1/15 w the Q2M that has stabilization. 

A question I do have is if anyone uses the rubber ring that comes with the soft button? Thanks

The rubber ring is to stop the button unscrewing, it acts similar to a spring washer.

7 minutes ago, 250swb said:

The rubber ring is to stop the button unscrewing, it acts similar to a spring washer.

The Leica official ones of course come with no o-ring hence why I have lost two already. Now I have to check the darn thing every time I use the camera, and yet without it, the feeling of the shutter release is 'weird'. 

Some Leica camera techs have advised against using a soft release on an M camera, claiming they have seen internal damage on cameras that used them (perhaps over-travel or excess force?).

I've tried them and generally found no benefit for me, but I've been used to the feel of the M shutter button for over 50 years. However, I have fitted a small one on my M5, where it travels deeper due to the linkage to move the meter cell in the body.

3 minutes ago, TomB_tx said:

Some Leica camera techs have advised against using a soft release on an M camera, claiming they have seen internal damage on cameras that used them (perhaps over-travel or excess force?).

I've tried them and generally found no benefit for me, but I've been used to the feel of the M shutter button for over 50 years. However, I have fitted a small one on my M5, where it travels deeper due to the linkage to move the meter cell in the body.

"Some Leica camera techs have advised against using a soft release on an M camera" do the techies talk to the sales guys there then? As they sell several of the things.

6 minutes ago, idusidusi said:

"Some Leica camera techs have advised against using a soft release on an M camera" do the techies talk to the sales guys there then? As they sell several of the things.

No - independent techs not related to teh sales channel.

Edited by TomB_tx
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2022 at 4:10 PM, TomB_tx said:

None of them can go deeper than a cable release and cable releases don't damage M Leica's. And they all have a taper thread so they can only go so deep anyway. If they do cause problems I suppose it may be that if bent they can neck off leaving the threaded part inside the shutter button, not impossible to get out but a tricky job. I'm sceptical of damage being caused given Leica market a soft release of their own and at a bargain £65 for 25 pence worth of metal.