Help with M11 Raw Files in LR

Wayne96732

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey guys! Can somebody please help explain why my JPG files are amazingly sharp, but the M11 raw files are super soft? The M11 profile is set, but the photos are still very soft compared to JPGS. This only happens with the 50mm asph raw files (JPGS are great).  If I use my 35mm fle, the raw files are fine. Is this a software issue? I also shoot with a Q2 and the raw files with this one are perfect. I just don't understand what's happening...

Edited by Wayne96732

What are you saying?  Your 50mm JPEGs are softer than images from your 35mm lens? Or the 50mm JPEGs are softer than the 50m RAW?

Have you done some testing to determine whether the range finder coupling is out of whack for the 50mm lens or the latter is a bad lens or ...

Or you may not have applied the right level of Lightroom sharpening.  (The JPEG is embedded in your raw file, derived from it, so you should be able to get at least as good a pic from your raw as the jpeg that the camera produces, if you apply corrections, etc).

I've had a similar issue with my m10r and my old(ashamed to say how old) version of lightroom.  The raw files and jpgs from my Q were fine, as were the raw files and jpgs taken with a 35mm on the m10r.  When I introduced files taken with a new lens, in my case a summicron 50mm they looked like crap in raw but normal as jpg.  As I sat there wondering WTH was happening and brought up the exif data to see if it recognized the correct lens...the image suddenly became sharp.  I blamed it on my slow version of Lightroom taking its sweet time to recognize and apply the new corrections.

Not saying your problem is the same but mine had me pulling my hair.  After that it started acting normally, my raw files still take longer to load completely but nothing like that first time with a different lens.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Siriusone59 said:

I've had a similar issue with my m10r and my old(ashamed to say how old) version of lightroom.  The raw files and jpgs from my Q were fine, as were the raw files and jpgs taken with a 35mm on the m10r.  When I introduced files taken with a new lens, in my case a summicron 50mm they looked like crap in raw but normal as jpg.  As I sat there wondering WTH was happening and brought up the exif data to see if it recognized the correct lens...the image suddenly became sharp.  I blamed it on my slow version of Lightroom taking its sweet time to recognize and apply the new corrections.

Not saying your problem is the same but mine had me pulling my hair.  After that it started acting normally, my raw files still take longer to load completely but nothing like that first time with a different lens.

I agree with Siriusone59. These are very large files. Even a computer with some hefty hardware have to work pretty hard to resolve the images. I’m sure you’ve considered that but I have had to sit and wait until the image, “snaps” sharp before I move to another image. I am using the latest version of LR. My M11 hasn’t gotten here yet (still back ordered) but I just bought a new MBP with 64GB of RAM to handle the load.

PARISLOVE

41 minutes ago, Siriusone59 said:

Thanks so much for your input... I've double checked everything possible in LR. I've actually used LR since it was very first released many moons ago, used multiple camera brands with high megapixels, but never had this issue. Running the latest version, newest/strongest MacBook Pro, ha! So, I'm completely lost on this one). 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Try the free version of another raw converter. This will allow you to clarify if it is an issue with your dng file or something going on in LR with that lens/camera.

Alternatively, send the dng to someone here and let them see how it looks.

Dave

46 minutes ago, Wayne96732 said:

PARISLOVE

Thanks so much for your input... I've double checked everything possible in LR. I've actually used LR since it was very first released many moons ago, used multiple camera brands with high megapixels, but never had this issue. Running the latest version, newest/strongest MacBook Pro, ha! So, I'm completely lost on this one). 

welcome to the Wonderfull life of Lightroom. I still can believe they take money every month for that.

15 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

welcome to the Wonderfull life of Lightroom. I still can believe they take money every month for that.

Why (re)start a Lightroom vs. C1 war in this thread?

I have never seen the issue described by @Wayne96732, nor have I read anybody experiencing a similar problem. So it is not clear whether that problem is caused by Lightroom or something else. I would love to see the files so that we can determine the issue.

• Like 1

I have absolutely no problem with LRC (most recent version on a Mac) and the sharpness of RAW images of my M11 at all. There is most likely some problem with your configuration  Maybe import presets not matching the camera?! Very difficult to diagnose... Obviously, you already have a lot of experience with LR and other cameras.

Good luck with solving your problem! 

Forgive my m11 ignorance… but is the sooc jpeg always the same res no matter if the raw is set too 18/36/60?

@the OP 

What are your smart preview etc settings?

My LR (latest version) and MBP (the 16gb silicone chip one) is quick enough with my M10 files, but it requires a moment or two to load my default settings (sharpening, custom profile) and display the true image rather than the embedded one.

IME LR runs slower importing lots of images than just a few, I don’t mean the overall time (which obviously elongates with more files) but DNG #1 of a sequence of 50 loads faster than DNG #1 of a sequence of 100

4 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

is the sooc jpeg always the same res no matter if the raw is set too 18/36/60?

you can set the JPG to any of the 3 setting. and any combination you want separate from DNG

4 hours ago, Adam Bonn said:

IME LR runs slower importing lots of images than just a few, I don’t mean the overall time (which obviously elongates with more files) but DNG #1 of a sequence of 50 loads faster than DNG #1 of a sequence of 100

what I hate about Lightroom is how slow it can be.. most days I shoot 3000 + photos on set. what is frustrating how the image preview does not change when applying an set of adjustment from one image and apply to 100. so frustrating , make me run late delivering the images... Capture one works fine. but this one clients wants edited DNG exported from Lightroom . Capture one does not export DNG with adjustments.

27 minutes ago, Photoworks said:

you can set the JPG to any of the 3 setting. and any combination you want separate from DNG

what I hate about Lightroom is how slow it can be.. most days I shoot 3000 + photos on set. what is frustrating how the image preview does not change when applying an set of adjustment from one image and apply to 100. so frustrating , make me run late delivering the images... Capture one works fine. but this one clients wants edited DNG exported from Lightroom . Capture one does not export DNG with adjustments.

Yeah, Adobe has seemed to work that preview bug into Lightroom. Extremely annoying.

In LRC, under Preferences > File Handling:

• Change File Handling > DNG > JPEG preview to Full Size instead of the default Medium Size.
  • For existing DNGs, select them in the Library module and choose Library menu > Previews > Build 1:1 Previews

In LRC, under Preferences > Performance:

• Make sure Use Smart Previews instead of Originals for image editing is not checked.
  • Purge the RAW image cache

In camera, make sure you're not shooting 36 or 18mp DNGs but 60mp JPEGs then wondering why the DNG isn't the same in Lightroom. If you only change the DNG resolution, the JPEG resolution will follow, but changing the JPEG resolution does not change the DNG in tandem.

///

For those that don't like waiting for a large batch of previews to generate: under Preferences > Performance: Disable/uncheck Generate previews in parallel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It appears that I have solved the issue and it wasn't a LRC problem after all. I had RAW files set to Large, but my JPEG files were Medium. The JPEGS were always fine and sharp, but the RAW files were beyond soft. However, when I switched my settings for RAW and JPEG to both be LARGE, the RAW files are great, sharp, etc. Really strange... I simply wanted the option to quickly share a medium JPEG on the fly, but looks like this file size needs to match the RAW file size. Interesting. I appreciate everybody's input and for chiming in to figure this one out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2022 at 10:38 AM, Wayne96732 said:

It appears that I have solved the issue and it wasn't a LRC problem after all. I had RAW files set to Large, but my JPEG files were Medium. The JPEGS were always fine and sharp, but the RAW files were beyond soft. However, when I switched my settings for RAW and JPEG to both be LARGE, the RAW files are great, sharp, etc. Really strange... I simply wanted the option to quickly share a medium JPEG on the fly, but looks like this file size needs to match the RAW file size. Interesting. I appreciate everybody's input and for chiming in to figure this one out.

wow that does not make any sense. I needed to try it for myself.

And I don't see a sharpness problem in the combined DNG + any of the 3 size JPG.

It is most likely that the in camera JPG has  all the contrast, toning, saturation and sharpening applied by the camera and the DNG looks a little more flat ( and that is how it should be.

It is probably still the setting you are using in Lightroom