Camera scanning film (w/ tether)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

18 hours ago, charlesphoto99 said:

Sorry, busy scanning and printing! To answer your questions - the hood is not hitting the holder - that's just a cheap plastic hood I bought to ward off stray room light. It just sits loose between the holder and camera lens hood. Yes, it is the higher priced 35mm Negative Supply holder and works very well. I couldn't stomach the cost of their 120 holder, so tried one of their 'Basic' models and it stunk. For 120 I use the metal holder that came with the Skier box and it works fine. I suppose one could use an old enlarger holder of your choice, which are a dime a dozen on eBay or Craigslist. But the Neg Supply 35 holder is really well built and designed, and it is important to get a bit of height off the light box. I no longer shoot film, so haven't tried it with uncut but the winder works well for strips. I would imagine their $600 120 holder is equally well built but stay away from the basic model. 

Ah ok re:hood. Thanks for this info!

17 hours ago, 250swb said:

Yes, cut the film into six frame lengths, so the lengths fit into a standard negative sheet. Have a can of compressed air to blow dust off. As for negative holders anybody who has had a darkroom will see the problem and see the solution. If not you can use a neg holder from an enlarger, or a scanner, or a Lomo Digtaliza, or make you own. You are only looking at keeping the negative flat and within a frame on your light tablet. The $99 to $329 range seems to me it should come with a butler that does it for you while ironing your socks.

That's what I currently do - cut and sleeve, put large books on overnight to flatten. And rocket blower.

And yes, they are CLEARLY taking advantage of desperate people in need! (aka film shooters). 🙂

Edited by bdolzani

Well, I recall my last enlarger cost me about $3500. I think I sold it for about $600 only a few years later. It's all in the value of the time and what's required. The Neg Supply 35mm carrier really is well done (and Iike I said, I can't say that about their Basic line) and will last a lifetime. But there are literally hundreds of ways to get there and all are good depending on one's needs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charlesphoto99 said:

Well, I recall my last enlarger cost me about $3500. I think I sold it for about $600 only a few years later. It's all in the value of the time and what's required. The Neg Supply 35mm carrier really is well done (and Iike I said, I can't say that about their Basic line) and will last a lifetime. But there are literally hundreds of ways to get there and all are good depending on one's needs. 

It sounds excellent for sure. 

The Negative Supply company makes great equipment, but for people who are sitting doing it all day. For an amateur there are a couple of basic yes or no questions to answer, is the negative flat in whichever holder I choose, and does the lens do 1:1 with a flat field?  When those basic questions are answered the rest falls into place. It doesn't matter if your copy stand wobbles if you walk around the room, just learn to breath in and sit still for 1/8th second, and it doesn't matter if the camera is tethered, how quickly do you need the images on your pic, or do you have a customer waiting in reception?

• Like 1

I’ve been doing a mix of flatbed and DSLR scanning for my 4x5 and 120 negs. Typical process was to set up a tripod and put the negs in an enlarger negative carrier on top of a LED light pad. This worked fine but setting it all up and getting everything aligned each time was a bit of a pain. So I decided to build something more permanent.

The base is a bamboo cutting board I got from Target, the column is a Leofoto H-32 Horizontal Stereo 2 Camera Mount from Amazon with a macro slider attached for fine focusing. The camera is a Nikon Z7 with an old 55mm Micro Nikkor. For 120 I’m using the basic 120 film carrier from Negative Supply , while the light source is a cheap LED light pad from eBay with a sheet of Dura-lar on top to smooth out the light. For 4x5 I lay the negative right on the light pad. The Z7 is tethered to Lightroom so I see an enlarged Liveview on the computer and can control the camera settings without having to touch the camera.

So far everything works great. I am looking to upgrade the light source to something brighter just to get my shutter speeds up a little faster. Right now I have to do my scanning after dark to avoid glare from the ambient light from the window.
Cheers! jc

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 5/27/2022 at 9:43 PM, hirohhhh said:

SL2 + Sigma 70mm Marco Lens (187mpx Multishot Mode)
Negative Supply Stand, light box and 120/35mm film carrier
Tethering Cable > Lightroom Classic
NegativeLab Pro for conversion

This is the output I'm getting from 35mm film (100% crop).

Edit: the original photo has much sharper grain (without sharpening in post), but this forum compressed it A LOT.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I tried once lab scanning, and they are so inferior in terms of quality, resolution, no borders, already manipulated and inverted tiff files, that for me, spending some extra time scanning is worth, having high res, raw negatives that I can come back months or years later, unconvert and do it again differently if I want to. And now when I did this so many times, it takes less than 5 minutes to scan one 120 roll, and maybe 15min for 35mm roll. Another 10-15min for conversion and adjustments. But I love doing it. I usually do it once I accumulate 10-15 rolls, and I can do it all in few hours.

How is the 70mm macro for scanning 120 film. Do you use the same process you use for 35mm for 120?

1 minute ago, hirohhhh said:

Everything is the same. I just have to raise the camera a little bit.

Thanks for the reply! I am looking into using my Leica SL2-s for film scanning! I figure multi shot would be a great function to use with 120.

Did you ever look into getting the 105mm Macro?

9 minutes ago, shootinhd said:

Thanks for the reply! I am looking into using my Leica SL2-s for film scanning! I figure multi shot would be a great function to use with 120.

Did you ever look into getting the 105mm Macro?

Not really, I’m quite satisfied with this Sigma 70mm Macro lens, that I purchased solely for scanning negatives.

• Like 1