M11 and SD card issue

tap360

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all

After just having the M11 a few days, for some reason suddenly today it stopped working with my SD cards.

SD card goes in = orange light stays on at the rear and I can’t access the menu or take any shots.

no SD card in = I can access menu etc.

I have tried about 7 or 8 SD cards now and only a very slow, old one seems to work. However, the newer ones I have been using happily all week don’t work at all (but are fine in other cameras and on computer).

anyone else had any issues, or any ideas what I can do?  I have left battery out for 10 mins. Reset camera etc. nothing makes a difference

very concerning to have such a problem in the first week

all thoughts and ideas welcome.

• Like 1

the M11 has a different DB from other cameras. you need to use a clean card and after inserting format again.

if you taking the card out of other camera you are going to have a problem..

You can format on the computer first with the tool mentioned above. and then insert into the m11

• Like 1

I think one shouldn't discount that the camera could very well be defective. Strange things have been experienced with the M11 and other M cameras.

Other than that, M cameras are historically more sensitive to SD cards than other camera brands. It was fairly amusing on the M9 but its gotten a lot better with later models. My M11 has behaved irregularly with a ProGrade UHS II and a Sandisk Extreme Pro UHS II card. Both of which went away after a format with SDFormater app followed by a in-camera format. In contrast, my most troubled SD card brand I have (Lexar) has been 100% problem free.  

SD card manufacturers also change their software or firmware revisions on their cards without advertising such or changing any outside specifications or model identifier on their cards. I have two Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/S 64GB where both work perfectly fine in my D850, but one refuses to work in the D810 and Leica M11.

I would definitely try the SD Formatter App, and even use the full wipe Overwrite feature, which often can restore full card speeds again. 

Hopefully your M11 isn't defective. And obviously check if your firmware is up to date with version 1.4.0.0. 

Edited by hmzimelka
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the advice I did the full format using the app as suggested but still nothing. Camera just sits with orange light on.

so the Sandisk extreme pro cards don’t work - but we’e working fine until yesterday! They work fine in my other cameras.

a couple of Samsung EVO cards I have seem to work 

I am concerned it’s a problem with the M11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tap360,   I have found with M cameras when this occurs (very infrequently) to try the following....I assume you have the latest firmware update as well installed....

1.  Take the one card that seems to work in your M11 and run it through the SD Card Formatter again as Ict wrote n his Post #2 suggested.

2.  Put the reformatted card back in, turn the camera on.  It the camera starts, then format the card to the camera.

3.  Use that 1 single card for all your photographs.  At the end of each days shoot, down load the photographs and reuse that card.  Reformat the card in camera to delete the photographs.

4.  Failing all the above....if the camera is new, return it with all the items/box for an exchange...or send it to Leica for repair.

I hope this helps. r/ Mark

PS...Personally, I only use a Delkin Black SD card 32 GB in my M and SL cameras.  I never move them back or forth to the other cameras.  One card, one camera.  Saved me a lot of grief over the years.  I found over time, SD cards do get corrupt.  

Edited by LeicaR10

5 minutes ago, LeicaR10 said:

Tap360,   I have found with M cameras when this occurs (very infrequently) to try the following....I assume you have the latest firmware update as well installed....

1.  Take the one card that seems to work in your M11 and run it through the SD Card Formatter again as Ict in his Post #2 suggested.

2.  Put the reformatted card back in, turn the camera on.  It the camera starts, then format the card to the camera.

3.  Use that 1 single card for all your photographs.  At the end of each days shoot, down load the photographs and reuse that card.

4.  Failing all the above....if the camera is new, return it with all the items/box for an exchange...or send it to Leica for repair.

I hope this helps. r/ Mark

PS...Personally, I only use a Delkin Black SD card 32 GB in my M and SL cameras.  I never move them back or forth to the other cameras.  One card, one camera.  Saved me a lot of grief over the years.  I found over time, SD cards do get corrupt.  

Thanks. Agree that’s what I have done but the M11 no longer seems to like the 1 card I was using 

It concerns me to have such issues with a £7k camera (remember the M9 was a bit temperamental but not new ones).

I bought it ‘used’ 7 days ago …if no one else is having this issue perhaps it is best to return for refund while I can?

Tap360,  There is a reason why someone sold the M11 that you now own.  Could well be for the same reasons you are experiencing now.  The camera should be under warranty.  It might have to go back to Leica for a full reset/checkup.  Hopefully the previous owner deregistered the camera with Leica.  If not and you have the receipt, take it to a Leica dealer to sort it out for you.  There appears to be more serious issues with the camera.  I hope it gets resolved quickly for you.  r/ Mark

PS...As I tell my workshop clients buying used camera gear, do so only via a reputable dealer with at least a store warranty.  

PSS...Definitely return it for a refund ASAP.

Edited by LeicaR10

Thanks, bought it used from a dealer actually so hopefully they should just take back for refund.  But yes have registered with Leica 

was a great deal and love the camera…but now worried it might have a problem as not heard anyone else having sudden SD card issues

53 minutes ago, tap360 said:

I bought it ‘used’ 7 days ago …if no one else is having this issue perhaps it is best to return for refund while I can?

My M11 works flawlessly with Sandisk cards so i would ask for a refund.

Tap360,

You are making the right decision to return the M11.  Perhaps you can add to the refund and get either a new M10-R or M11.  Unfortunately you had a poor experience with a previously owned camera.  I am certain this will work out for you.  r/ Mark

Thanks. Dealer has offered me a great discount on a new M11 as a gesture of goodwill.  It’s more than I budgeted for but now a bit concerned about M11 reliability 

I might be better going for a nice used M10 (ideally a P or maybe even an R) and better glass like a 50mm Lux (I only have voigtlander lenses at present).

in the real world, not sure my current  lenses and limited skills can di justice to all the wizardry of the M11.  

Tap360,   I suggest you go with your gut instinct that will guide you to the right decision.  A new M10-P or R with a 50 Summilux will help you create amazing photographs.  r/ Mark

PS...I also sent you a PM.

Edited by LeicaR10

Funny, since in the three months I had my M10M, it kept me hanging with freezing issues on more than one occasion, requiring a battery-out reset. 

The M11 has been more "reliable" for me. Also for centre wighted metering, which was all over the place with the M10M.

Edited by hmzimelka

Each new camera has teething problems. Solving them through firmware updates is part of the game but it is not the point here the OP had a defective camera. Now if such experience is a concern per se, better choose an earlier camera and buy an M11 possibly when the OP will be reassured about its reliability. He may have the feeling to travel in time though.

• 3 months later...

Been using my M11 for months and with many different cards and now, my M11 has exhibited this issue. It DOES NOT WORK at all with ANY SD Card, micro or with an adapter. The orange light remains on. I was on 1.4.0 and was told to update my firmware so I did via wireless on the Fotos app to 1.5.0.1 and still not working.

It’s really frustrating holding an almost $20k camera kit combo and it’s not working. So embarrassing. I called my SA and will have them deal with this. I almost want my money back. 

It is quite possible that one of the contacts in the card reader got damaged, especially when using a micro SD card adapter. These things are basically el-cheapo mass-produced stuff that is meant for occasional use on a card reader, not for regular use in cameras. If so, the camera needs a new card slot, and although the part is generic and not expensive, the replacement needs a full dismantling of the camera and is certainly not cheap. As that would be outside damage it is not covered by guarantee ( but possibly by insurance) There have been cases where Leica extended courtesy, but that is by no means a given. However, start out by cleaning the SD contacts in the camera. A small amount of Contact Spray on an SD card and insert a few times.