Leica M11 and Tri-Elmar 28-35-50 MATE - Questions

skanga

Veiling flare with M11 + Mate v1 at 28mm:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Diverse/n-QFBj4/Leica-M11-Leica-28-35-504/i-4psCF6W/0/e9e71df2/X4/M1002421_si-X4.jpg
Easy to avoid by turning your back to the sun, as suggested by our colleague @jdlaing, but the subject matter cannot remain the same obviously:
https://photos.smugmug.com/Diverse/n-QFBj4/Leica-M11-Leica-28-35-504/i-vGDq5vG/0/e8da3e16/X4/M1002414_si-X4.jpg

4 hours ago, jdlaing said:

Flare is caused by the photographer, not the lens or camera.

Yes, but to repeat this exchange..again. Under similar conditions, some lenses are more prone to exhibit flare than others.  Two things can be simultaneously true: the user has ultimate control; and, lenses have different characteristics/tendencies.  The MATE at 50mm requires more careful attention regarding flare than any other 50mm M lens I’ve owned.  I no longer own it… so, yes, I have ultimate control.

Jeff

Posted (edited)

Sorry If This Was Answered, I Have An M11 And A Coded Tri-Elmar (By Leica). And To Be Honest If Not For The Guilt Of Purchasing All My Other Lenses I Would Only Use This! It Perform Amazingly. I Did Not Experience Bad Flaring (I Live In Dubai) But I Always Have A Hood And A Clear UV (This One Is Too Delicate My Nocti Isnt Treated As Good) Lens Profile Corrections Are There. Also For Closeups Id  Use The In Between The Focal Length Middle Spot For The Secret (Not So Secret) 40mm Close Focusing Focal Length. Just Needs An EVF Or Back Screen.

Santos.

Edited by Santos
Flaring Experience Added

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, lct said:

Anyway i would not buy any Mate, be it v1 or v2, if i had to use it in RF mode only but it's me :cool:.

Sorry,  I should have clarified: I also don't particularly like using an EVF with my M cameras but have one for occasional use. I was referring to when I'd used the EVF with the MATE to get a better understanding of when it flared at 50.  I assume the same for you.

I'm just careful about when I use 50mm.  If in doubt switch to 35mm to be safe.

Edited by MarkP

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 hours ago, Jeff S said:

The MATE at 50mm requires more careful attention regarding flare than any other 50mm M lens I’ve owned. 

Jeff

Yep. Unfortunately.

16 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I no longer own it… so, yes, I have ultimate control.

Jeff

I don't have that degree of lens-rationalisation discipline 🙄. The lens controls me 😳.  It still has it's uses. 

Edited by MarkP

I am in a third family. RF lover but EVF lover too so i've used my Mate on my Sony cameras in the first place. I still do it as the M11 has no IBIS but on the M11 i have never used the Mate sans Visoflex and i will probably never do it as shooting into the light is part of my photography. YMMV. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, lct said:

...as shooting into the light is part of my photography. YMMV. 

Ditto. Exactly why my MATE gets less use than it would otherwise. But I just can't bear to sell it. 

Thinking about your comment about the Sony, maybe I should try it as a compact stepped zoom on my SL-2 💡

Edited by MarkP

Posted (edited)

I once had a MATE Vers.2 but sold it some time ago, since I felt I get some extra pop from the primes and that I like to have faster than f4.0 quite sometimes to play with shallow DOF if I want to. Overall it was a good lens.

Besides the great flexibility there are 3 minor disadvantages IMO:

1) speed (f4.0 is not exactly fast)

2) quite long for an M lens

3) 50mm (on my lens) seemed to be a little wider than my 50mm primes

And one more thought: with the M11 you have quite some room to crop. So if you are a 35-50 guy you might get along with 35mm and crop, in those cases where you do not want to change lenses.

Edited by tom0511

33 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

And one more thought: with the M11 you have quite some room to crop. So if you are a 35-50 guy you might get along with 35mm and crop, in those cases where you do not want to change lenses.

Usual practice indeed. Not mine as i'm unable to compose with cropping in mind but it's just me.

Gerade eben schrieb lct:

Usual practice indeed. Not mine as i'm unable to compose with cropping in mind but it's just me.

I agree. But I have this crop ability in mind sometimes if my focal length is a little too wide or if I cant get close enough. And then there is the EVF. (But yeah, I prefer the OVF for 28-50mm)

Would be cool if the 35 and 50 mm frames would be paired IMO. Then you could use crop mode from 35 to 50mm in the optical  finder.

Great lens on APS-C cameras too where it can cover 40-50-75mm FoVs. Here on the digital CL for those who think that the Mate is not a sharp lens. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

7 minutes ago, tom0511 said:

Would be cool if the 35 and 50 mm frames would be paired IMO. Then you could use crop mode from 35 to 50mm in the optical  finder.

+1. Would have been more useful than 50+75. I don't remember why Leica chose that pairing but it was at the time of the M4-P when 75mm frame lines have been implemented first i guess so it was too late to change the 35+135 pairing. Now 50+75 can be useful on the M11 when using it in APS-H mode.

7 hours ago, Santos said:

Sorry If This Was Answered, I Have An M11 And A Coded Tri-Elmar (By Leica). And To Be Honest If Not For The Guilt Of Purchasing All My Other Lenses I Would Only Use This! It Perform Amazingly. I Did Not Experience Bad Flaring (I Live In Dubai) But I Always Have A Hood And A Clear UV (This One Is Too Delicate My Nocti Isnt Treated As Good) Lens Profile Corrections Are There. Also For Closeups Id  Use The In Between The Focal Length Middle Spot For The Secret (Not So Secret) 40mm Close Focusing Focal Length. Just Needs An EVF Or Back Screen.

Santos.

Santos, Thanks for this information!

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve had the 28/35/50 Tri-Elmar lens for a few years and have used it with several M models.  Honestly it’s the only lens I’ve ever regretted buying, even at a used price.  Veiling flare can be brutal.  Poor contrast, so-so sharpness, rather anemic color, generally a blah lens not worth its bulk and weight..  It’s obvious why Leica discontinued it.  A good idea but not easily executed.  Buy a 35mm Summicron and just take two steps forward or backward.  Much better optical results…and you’ll get some exercise, too.