New Leica M11 Firmware Update with v.1.4.0.0 - Download Link and Improvements

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, Wandering Photographer said:

I wasn’t able to get my M11 to update via FOTOS  and just copied the update file to the root directory of the memory card and updated the old fashion way.

I did the last update that way as I prefer it. I really don't like iPad or iPhone Fotos to do such. I do appreciate being able to use the Phone to fire the camera - but even with that I would prefer a pocketable remote to a phone any day.

Unfortunately this Leica Fotos App is not reliable. Why is it always so difficult to connect? It might work a while and then it does not work anymore. Lets take the Q2: In its latest update GPS-Tagging should work. But it does not. Not properly anyway: It makes no sense to get a series of puctures that were shot during 1 hour with all the same tag. On the other hand - within the app - you can write to the support which I did and in less than 24h later I got detailed instructions of what to do. That is the positive part. Unfortunately its the same mess as before 😆

Edited by M11 for me
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, M11 for me said:

Unfortunately this Leica Fotos App is not reliable. Why is it always so difficult to connect? It might work a while and then it does not work anymore. Lets take the Q2: In its latest update GPS-Tagging should work. But it does not. Not properly anyway: It makes no sense to get a series of puctures that were shot during 1 hour with all the same tag. On the other hand - within the app - you can write to the support which I did and in less than 24h later I got detailed instructions of what to do. That is the positive part. Unfortunately its the same mess as before 😆

Definitely an area where Leica needs improvement then. Either that or scrap Fotos and save money and sell a small remote trigger, every other manufacturer does - at least from experience Fuji and Sony do - and they work well.

1 hour ago, tashley said:

Fotos is too flakey for serious use. 

It depends on what you want to do.  Getting connected and staying connected while moving about is a hassle.  Remote operation when the camera is inaccessible (or on my very overladed copy setup)  is a godsend. And I got the most recent firmware installed from Fotos when I was traveling and had forgotten to bring along an SD card reader.

My hunch is that nobody wants to write this kind of code, which has to run on all the phones in the known world, so they hire a team of contractors in some distant country and only tell them the minimum that they think these outsiders need to know.  Of course Panasonic can hire more of these, and maybe they are in the same country... so their stuff runs better, stays connected longer.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I participated in a usability review once for Fotos with a team in ENGLAND.  I didn't feel that das Wesentliche was getting communicated. I despair of seeing good code written when two teams don't share some fundamental understanding.  I think the difference between English beer and German beer would be enough to block sharing ineffable but vital information between English UI people and the Leica mechano-electro-optic team.  Or even, God forbid, English wine ("plonk").

I say this having managed a product that had work done in IBM Japan and IBM Research.  The common element was IBM, and both of us being relative outsiders.  The tougher people to deal with were IBM developers in Florida.

• Like 1