New Leica M11 Firmware Update with v.1.4.0.0 - Download Link and Improvements

Leon_B.

15 minutes ago, hmzimelka said:

🤦🏻‍♂️ That sucks. 

For me the Highlight Weighted metering isn't working properly. Useless for me when a scene has 3 clipped channels in a program mode intended to preserve highlight clipping. On my camera it seems heavily centre biased and anything dark fools it into overexposure. 

Single mode shooting I tested only once, but managed to shoot off some 5 frames without an issue. 

At least 1.4.0.0 is a step in the right direction, but it's still a long road. Sigh

I will try to reset camera and see if anything improves...

I agree with you on highlight Weighted metering... it is better, but I got similar results in of center highlights. Clipping to no recovery..

7 minutes ago, wizard said:

Try a faster SD card, that could solve the problem.

This camera caps out at 99 MB/s write speed with every UHS II card I've tried. It shouldn't stop anyone from shooting off 4 consecutive shots even with the slowest SD card, since the buffer capacity is larger than four shots.

Anyways, this is an example of highlight weighted metering not working...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by hmzimelka

Advertisement (gone after registration)

31 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

where/how do you bring up the update process?  I need to do this as I am travelling and left the card reader behind.

For me, for some reason, connecting via Wi-Fi did not work at first try.  I then deleted the M11 from Leica FOTOS and repaired.  Then, in a boots-AND-suspenders moment, I connected via USB-C.  The app wanted to have Bluetooth turned on which I did and the camera connected to the app.  Scott, if there is an Update selection in the M11 section of FOTOS, just select that.  If not, I guess you'll have to wait for the update to reach your part of the world.

vor 34 Minuten schrieb scott kirkpatrick:

where/how do you bring up the update process?  I need to do this as I am travelling and left the card reader behind.

Update the Fotos app, open it and below the M11 profile (the entry you press to connect in the list of cams you have added) it says „update available“ - press and follow the instructions on screen. Works over wifi. 

Update via the app was perfect: all profiles were still there, and the image file naming continued where it left off with custom prefix intact.

Before updating, I did save all my profiles to the SD card just in case, plus I left my last few images on the SD in case that helped it continue numbering correctly. 

So far everything seems a bit more responsive.

• Like 1

Only major issue on M11 is the shutter which behaves erratically and doesn’t behave like it should on camera with this price point.

Firmware 1.4 doesn’t solve the issue, makes some refinement at the best.

I hope, they fix the issue in upcoming updates…

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Leon_B. said:

FIXED: No more shutter delay between shots

Update via Fotos app was effortless and flawless, for the second time now. Kudos to Leica for getting this right! 

Shutter release is better now but still not quite right.  I changed Auto Review from Shutter Button Pressed back to Off and tried the following drive modes: 

Single shot: multiple presses of the shutter button now takes a shot for every press. Thank you for that. However, if I press the shutter button as fast as I can no shots at all are taken after the first press. I can press very fast five or ten times and only the first press fires the shutter. Normally this is a non-issue, however… 

Continuous Low:  On the M10 a single press of the shutter button takes one image and flaps the shutter once. Holding down the shutter button takes multiple shots. This was my default drive mode for years on the M240 and M10 series. In Continuous Low on the M11, on a single shutter button press the shutter sounds twice and one is image taken. This is different than the M10 and quite annoying to hear and feel the shutter flap twice. I suspect that second shutter sound is actually the shutter reopening after a short delay to re-enable the metering because the M11 continuous drive keeps the shutter closed after the first shot in anticipation of multiple shots. If the shutter button is released quickly and the subsequent shot doesn’t happen the shutter then flaps open to meter. Hopefully this isn't by design and can be changed. My default drive mode on the M11 is for now (unfortunately) single shot - a setback for me. 

Edited by ELAN

5 minutes ago, ELAN said:

Shutter release is better now but still not quite right.

Yes, it’s most refined on single shots. I could take with Low mode single shots with one shutter sound. Sometimes it makes two as you mentioned and sometimes time between shutter sounds vary…

As I could take multiple photos in single mode without extra shutter sounds, it should be possible on Low/High modes…

• Thanks 1

…maybe Leica should ask Panasonic to help them out.

It’s quite odd that they manage SL2(s) work flawlessly but on M it’s just disaster.

I suspect that on SL2(s) base functions / basic firmware features are done by Panasonic and on M, Leica does it all by them self with poor results.

Shutter is basically the most import core function on cameras and it should just work. There are no excuses to accept this even on Leica land.

3 hours ago, Eugene Young said:

I got my m11 firmware updated.

But shutter delay between shots still existed. Pressed shutter 3-4times and didn’t work. What shall I do to fix this problem?

I had that too, but after resetting the camera it works much better..

• Thanks 1