Peter McKinnon buys a Q2 Reporter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/25/2022 at 1:40 PM, hdmesa said:

The point was when someone with almost 6M subscribers promotes a camera, it may make it harder to find one in stock, unfortunately.

I'm not big fan of McKinnon but I did think it was interesting that someone like him would like the Q2.  If his promoting it increases sales, that would be good for Leica and nobody here should be unhappy about that.

The thing is, though, is that even if some/many of his younger audience were influenced by his using the Q2, I doubt many of them are able to shell out the $5K to get one.  

2 hours ago, nameBrandon said:

That was really weird timing, it was like everyone got the itch to sell theirs all at once… at least 4, perhaps 5 Q2 reporters at once. I'm thankful for it, as I was about to sell mine but it made me reconsider and decide to hang on to it. I think there's only one left at the moment, so at least they sold!

Lol… good to see you come to your senses.  :)

One of them was local to me and I think he picked up an M11.  They just seem different enough to where I’d want both ( and my rangefinder shooting skills are non-existent ) 

20 hours ago, cboy said:

Just as bags27 points out it makes one question his motive. As one of the biggest influencers out there it very suspicious of him changing 'gear'. Some may think he's just a sell-out...

Any publicity at the end of the day is good for Leica. More hipster Leica fanboys I imagine. Lol

It was just a clickbait title; he didn’t change gear, he just bought a Q2R for personal use.

I do like his latest camera backpack, been looking for another one since I got the peak design everyday backpack.  I thought the PD would work but it was not to my liking, the new smaller Peter McKinnon Nomatic camera backpack really works for me.  I feel that there are many Leica haters out there, if you don’t think so you should read some of his comments on that video, it is nice to see someone who is sponsored by Canon say that his personal Q2 camera has brought a newfound appreciation for photography.  I’m sure Canon did not appreciate it. Maybe I just try and look at the positives in these sorts of things as there is currently enough hate in the world.

On 5/28/2022 at 2:27 AM, Keone said:

I’m sure Canon did not appreciate it.

I know from the horse's mouth that Canon has a respectful relationship to Leica. They consider the people from Wetzlar not as a true competitor because the overlapping are pretty rare. That's also the case with Arri in the cinema camera market. Friendly, mutual respect. 

On 5/27/2022 at 8:27 PM, Keone said:

I do like his latest camera backpack, been looking for another one since I got the peak design everyday backpack.  I thought the PD would work but it was not to my liking, the new smaller Peter McKinnon Nomatic camera backpack really works for me.  I feel that there are many Leica haters out there, if you don’t think so you should read some of his comments on that video, it is nice to see someone who is sponsored by Canon say that his personal Q2 camera has brought a newfound appreciation for photography.  I’m sure Canon did not appreciate it. Maybe I just try and look at the positives in these sorts of things as there is currently enough hate in the world.

Been following Peter McKinnon for awhile. His "Bucket Shot" video is something all of us photographers can relate to, and his earlier stuff was nothing but the promotion of photography, videography, and teaching it.  Yes, he does shill products here and there but I don't think he's sponsored by Canon.  He's mentioned in the past at having used a Canon way back when he was learning photography and just always stuck with it because of the familiarity.  

Regardless, the guy has a genuine passion for photography and regardless of whether or not he was provided at Q2 by Leica, I have no doubt he'll be bitten by the bug that has gotten us all when seeing images from the red dot.  Would not be at all surprised to have him posting another video delving into the M world.  Typical hipster YouTuber, yeah to an extent.  But he's also a terrific photographer.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/25/2022 at 4:09 AM, overexposed said:

god i hate those hipster youtubers

Why? They have more success than you or you are envious that they have the passion and determination to put themselves out there and try to make something of themselves?

I enjoyed the video. He’s a really good photographer.

1 hour ago, LondonL said:

Why? They have more success than you or you are envious that they have the passion and determination to put themselves out there and try to make something of themselves?

I enjoyed the video. He’s a really good photographer.

man i am not even responding to that other than i am happy for you that you liked that video

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2022 at 3:19 PM, hdmesa said:

It was just a clickbait title; he didn’t change gear, he just bought a Q2R for personal use.

Whats a Q2R? Goes to show i didnt stay long enough to watch his conent to care. I have a mistrust of youtubers with huge followers whom act like shills to advertise a companies wares, but to each their own...

Edited by cboy

4 hours ago, grahamc said:

The only real gripe I have is I can't find much of Peter's photography online (inc. website) without him in the frame holding a camera.  I guess that's a sign of the time 😂

https://www.instagram.com/petermckinnon/

Sure, it's IG but still good photos... even if IG is moving away from photography and to video shorts.  Like every other platform, unfortunately.