50 mm Summicron V5: Alternatives to better keep contrast when light is coming from outside the frame?

Peter K

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 minutes ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Convenient for what? Is it even a hood?

The Summilux 50/1.4 asph's built-in hood brings some mechanical protection to the front element of the lens the same way as that of the  Summilux 50/1.4 v3 more or less while being less effective but also more compact than the 12586 separate hood for Summilux 50/1.4 v2. 

40 minutes ago, lct said:

The Summilux 50/1.4 asph's built-in hood brings some mechanical protection to the front element of the lens the same way as that of the  Summilux 50/1.4 v3 more or less while being less effective but also more compact than the 12586 separate hood for Summilux 50/1.4 v2. 

Let’s call it a mechanical-protection-cylinder ©️

• Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Let’s call it a mechanical-protection-cylinder ©️

Nothing new and nothing wrong IMHO. Summilux 50/1.4 v3 and Summicron 50/2 v5 have a similar built-in hood since the nineties. The Summicron needs more flare protection than the Summilux though. The same way as the Summilux v2, the Summicron v4 has not this problem since it has a separate hood (12538, 12585) but when i just need some mechanical protection i often pick the 50/2 v5 which is significantly less bulky due to its built-in hood. Compromise for sure but there are special 50/1.4 asph lenses for people preferring separate hoods (11628, 11688) and the current Summilux allows for using an after market screw-in hood if needed so i would not criticize Leica on such grounds only personally. FWIW.

Edited by lct

2 hours ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

B+W should be smart about their marketing. If the Leica crowd accepts that short, loose cylinder as a hood, then B+W can certainly market its filters as lens hoods.

Great idea. send them a mail 😁

3 hours ago, lct said:

Nothing new and nothing wrong IMHO. Summilux 50/1.4 v3 and Summicron 50/2 v5 have a similar built-in hood since the nineties. The Summicron needs more flare protection than the Summilux though. The same way as the Summilux v2, the Summicron v4 has not this problem since it has a separate hood (12538, 12585) but when i just need some mechanical protection i often pick the 50/2 v5 which is significantly less bulky due to its built-in hood. Compromise for sure but there are special 50/1.4 asph lenses for people preferring separate hoods (11628, 11688) and the current Summilux allows for using an after market screw-in hood if needed so i would not criticize Leica on such grounds only personally. FWIW.

Please, you don’t need to explain or try to change my mind. That hood is totally ineffective. 

9 minutes ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Please, you don’t need to explain or try to change my mind. That hood is totally ineffective. 

I would remain silent if we were only two on this forum but i reserve the right to express my own views even if they are opposite to yours if you don't mind.

On 5/24/2022 at 4:58 PM, jaapv said:

Be aware that lens haze can be next to invisible. If the lens has oil stains on the aperture blades it is very likely that there is an oil vapour residu on the lens surfaces. Combined with your description of its flare behaviour, I am 100% convinced that it simply needs a CLA - window washing by a competent technician, nothing more. I've seen spectacular results in similar cases.

Had this problem. Youxin Ye took care of it. 10 days total turn around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lct said:

I would remain silent if we were only two on this forum but i reserve the right to express my own views even if they are opposite to yours if you don't mind.

When I hold those lenses in the sun, I see Zero to a minuscule, meaningless amount of shade provided. Takes a lot of subjectivity to see a benefit from that hood. I am more on the objective side of things.

To the OP: a proper hood that actually gives

a good shade will help.

1 minute ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

When I hold those lenses in the sun, I see Zero to a minuscule, meaningless amount of shade provided. Takes a lot of subjectivity to see a benefit from that hood. I am more on the objective side of things.

You lend me words that are not mine or anyone else's AFAIK. Nobody pretended that this hood makes a lot of shade. As i said above, it brings some mechanical protection to the front element of the lens the same way as that of the  Summilux 50/1.4 v3 more or less while being less effective but also more compact than the 12586 separate hood for Summilux 50/1.4 v2. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have the Summicron M 2.0/50 version 5 and in a fit of wanting the best, I bought the really expensive Apo Summicron M 2.0/50 Asph. My "normal" Summicron doesn't have much flare overall, yet I bought an extra round hood to screw in for it. If I look at it very soberly, the Apo is not worth the exorbitant extra price for me (others may see it differently), because the "normal" already delivers more than enough for me on the M11. On my last vacation, I opted for the "normal" Summicron for weight reasons and once again it convinced me at wide open. Backlight / lens flare problems I could not determine in any of my pictures (perhaps the simple round screwed in lens hood helps more than assumed, this fits of course also on the Apo and helps there too). In addition, I have with the "normal" Summicron at open aperture in contrast to the co-used Summilux M 1.4/35 Asph FLE significantly less purple fringing problems can see.

If I had to make a new decision today, it would be the Summicron 2.0/50 version 5 and the Elmarit M 2.8/28 Asph version 2 (the one with the metal lens hood). Both lenses deliver on the M11 (black version, I'm getting older 😉) and the ISO speed isn't really an issue, just the depth of field game at 2.8 isn't outstanding, but the weight and the imaging performance of both lenses is unbeatable.

Try an additional round screw-in lens hood, I think it will help a bit.

Just my two cents

• Like 2

6 hours ago, S/W said:

I have the Summicron M 2.0/50 version 5 and in a fit of wanting the best, I bought the really expensive Apo Summicron M 2.0/50 Asph. My "normal" Summicron doesn't have much flare overall, yet I bought an extra round hood to screw in for it. If I look at it very soberly, the Apo is not worth the exorbitant extra price for me (others may see it differently), because the "normal" already delivers more than enough for me on the M11. On my last vacation, I opted for the "normal" Summicron for weight reasons and once again it convinced me at wide open. Backlight / lens flare problems I could not determine in any of my pictures (perhaps the simple round screwed in lens hood helps more than assumed, this fits of course also on the Apo and helps there too). In addition, I have with the "normal" Summicron at open aperture in contrast to the co-used Summilux M 1.4/35 Asph FLE significantly less purple fringing problems can see.

If I had to make a new decision today, it would be the Summicron 2.0/50 version 5 and the Elmarit M 2.8/28 Asph version 2 (the one with the metal lens hood). Both lenses deliver on the M11 (black version, I'm getting older 😉) and the ISO speed isn't really an issue, just the depth of field game at 2.8 isn't outstanding, but the weight and the imaging performance of both lenses is unbeatable.

Try an additional round screw-in lens hood, I think it will help a bit.

Just my two cents

Hi S/W,

Thanks for your answer. Much appreciated!

I am curious to know, what type of extra round hood did you buy for your 'standard' Summicron? Do you have a link?

I would like to try that solution to see if that would help with my lens, to.

Thanks again,
Peter.

Any Ø 39mm screw-in hood can work on the 50/2 v5 (link). Useless to avoid flare when strong light sources like the sun are just outside of the frame though. The better hood is a hat there or the Real Leica Man's mantra: Never Shoot Into The Light Dude :D.

Edited by lct