Leica III C grey with grey lens cap and red curtain...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In my collection I have a Leica III C grey # 3880XX with a red curtain. The lens is a summitar 364XXX with a grey lens cap (this lens cap doesn't seem to be painted but oxidized?). Inside was engraved a number (see picture) does anyone have an idea to what it corresponds! Thank you for your answer.

Philippe

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

38 minutes ago, dubois pierre said:

Bonjour Philippe, à part que ce boîtier fait parti du deuxième lot livré comportant 3023 appareils sur un total de 3410; ces numéros gravés me laissent perplexe🤔.

Question in english, answer in french. Why? 

7 minutes ago, nitroplait said:

Question in english, answer in french. Why? 

Why not 🙂   Hello Philippe, except that this box is part of the second batch delivered comprising 3023 devices out of a total of 3410; these engraved numbers leave me perplexed🤔.

Correct Alan,it is 564xxx small typing error.
The red curtain installation was normally stopped at #379226 which James Lager confirms in his book, but some IIICs, often grey, show this red curtain after #379226 ? after a return to the factory or repair by a dealer who only had red curtains ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jaapv said:

Slightly OT, but was there a reason for using red material?

Well, film was orthochromatic at the time, and if there was a chance of slight transmission through the curtain, red was a good choice.

• Like 1

There is discussion elsewhere about the red curtain material and various reasons why it was used, shortage of normal black material. I understand the red material came from Kodak, possibly from Kodak stocks in Germany but I was told the other day that it came by submarine (U boat) from South America during the war in exchange for Rolleiflexes and Leicas?

• Like 1

There is a theory on another camera forum that Leica's were sent to Japan by submarine during the war. There is also the story that a Tiger tank was transported in component form to Japan by submarine. There is perhaps a nugget of truth buried in all the stories that makes people think 'ah, it must have been delivered by submarine'. 

For me, the main reason is that the owner damaged his curtain he went to the dealer "Leica" on the corner. The salesman said to him; sorry! we don't receive any more spare parts from the Leica factory (war obliges) on the other hand if you want I still have some red curtains that we had received last year and that works very well in more they are less expensive. the guy said to him OK if you say to me that it is good we will do that... It is a simple scenario but so possible!!!