FW Bugfix: Leica SL2 (v 4.1) / Leica SL2-S (v 3.1)

LUF Admin

14 hours ago, Gordons said:

Same problem - But if you rename the file form SL2__41__0.lfu to SL2__41_.lfu on the SD card the firmware will update. It then matches the naming on previous firmware updates. Worked for me at that point

I ended up using Fotos to update, remembering to export and import profiles as mentioned above, it worked.

2 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Tried again, fresh battery, but still no change - the 75SL remains dead. 
No reply yet from Leica customer service.
Fortunately, with the 90SL working, and the 24-90SL, it is not a critical temporary loss.

Obviously the lens firmware update process has begun and for some reason it was interrupted in progress. I'm afraid the only pit is a factory intervention. Sorry unfortunately it can happen.

Edited by Logon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LocalHero1953 said:

No longer! I tried it on the Sigma fp, but no change, except that I get a message "Lens error - check the lens status". I guess it will be making a journey to Wetzlar.

This confirm the firmware update failure. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tedwill said:

Absolutely.  You shouldn't have to rename a file for it to work.  This is poor testing.  I run an IT department and I'd have to look for a new QA team if they released a bug fix that had a bug in the file name.  Sheesh.

I agree with you. I am a bit surprised with Leica and their practices regarding firmware. Someone will come on and defend their reputation, but there will be no sympathy from me. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 5/25/2022 at 8:35 AM, Doug Trabaris said:

I am in a similar situation. I have the same gear as you, and wonder if this update can be skipped. 

Does anyone have any advice for us?

I was excited for the update but because I'm travelling a lot this  summer I decided to skip the update. I love my cameras and I've been able to capture photos I love before the update. I don't want to be pissed off while on a personal bucket list trip to Singapore due to firmware update bugs. I work in tech so I typically don't mind my phones and maybe laptop being buggy but my photography equipment is where I hate it lol, as it's supposed to be my escape from my day job 😁

Long story short: if you need your camera big free at the moment don't update until they resolve the issues. Obviously this won't apply to the people that have already updated but this is just my opinion

• Like 1

Seems there is an issue with the name of the sl2 firmware.

When downloading the file the name is SL2__41__0, erase the 0 at the end and make it SL2__41__.

No this won't have any impact on what's inside the firmware so no need to wait for an additional update, (don't be scare :) ).

But once more this proves how incompetent Leica IT team seems to be. All software has bugs, but these are not really bugs, these are errors.... errors that really no one who has worked in IT can understand, it clearly shows a lack of testing and release procedures. 

• Like 1

I have never used LeicaFoto for anything.
I found the correctly named FW 4.1 on the US Site, thanks to wellfleet previous post here.. My links to the European site don't work properly currently.

The Release Notes for 4.1 are clear and correct including prompt to save profiles

I installed including save profiles

My Summicron 35 and then my 50 Summicron got updated too. (FW3.1) no change to 24-90 as expected.
You need to reset the Language time date and import profiles again AFTER  first  lens Update
The previous file numbering was still not retained as expected.

Edited by hoppyman
  • Like 2

Thanks to those who mentioned saving Profiles first.

Pretty happy doing the update via Fotos.

Fotos seems to be getting better every version along with the Firmware updates.

All things considered, pretty good update timing on the Firmware bug fix as well. 

Been wait significantly longer (months) from another manufactured for know needed update required to meet advertised feature.

On 5/24/2022 at 5:11 PM, matted said:

Here here! It is mind boggling that this behavior has persisted through so many updates and so many different models. 

Yeah this is User Experience 101 - don't cause the user to lose data.

Well all's well with the update at my end.  Downloaded the firmware from Leica, (copy presets to SD) and installed to camera.  Re-start, turn off, attach SL75 APO, re-start, ipdate happens automatically, repeat with SL35.  Re-install presets.  All good.

It's a pity for Leica's reputation that the initial release of FW4.0 hadn't been better tested, but 4.1 has brought real benefits to the SL2.  I'm happy.

3 hours ago, Psrkn said:

After my SL2-S was updated with firmware 3.1, the magnification FN function quits working. I tested with both SL 35mm and SL 24-90mm.

Do I have the same problem as everyone else?

Works fine for me. Your user profiles probably got nuked. You’ll need to reprogram your function buttons.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 12:25 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

Tried again, fresh battery, but still no change - the 75SL remains dead. 
No reply yet from Leica customer service.
Fortunately, with the 90SL working, and the 24-90SL, it is not a critical temporary loss.

Update.....

I had no reply from Leica Wetzlar customer service after two emails. An email to Leica Mayfair produced an invitation to send or bring it for inspection.
I took it to them today. They attached the lens to one of their cameras, with no more success than me.
They are holding onto it for the moment, and awaiting advice from Wetzlar in case the lens can be force fed new firmware in some esoteric way, but the most likely scenario is that it will be sent to Wetzlar. 
I don't know how old it is - I bought it used just over two years ago - so it is not under warranty.

Full marks to Leica Mayfair - friendly and knowledgeable staff, and trying very hard to find a solution.

• Like 3