FW Bugfix: Leica SL2 (v 4.1) / Leica SL2-S (v 3.1)

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, drballiet said:

Bonjour,

I updated the camera without problem via Fotos with a Sigma lens attached, restarted and tested : all OK.

But I observed an odd behavior, the same as a previous post "My Summicron-SL 75 has become unusable after updating the firmware"… i.e. the lens seemed to be bricked even after a waiting a lengthy times and several manual restarts. 😒

BUT, I followed on and put on my Summicron-SL 35, restarted the camera and the lens update was successfully executed. So I put the Summicron-SL 75 anew on the Camera, restraded ans… the lens update was successful ! Since then all lenses works like as usual. 🙂

Perhaps, the same process will help the user whose Summicron-SL 75 seems to be bricked ?!

Reminder : always backup your profiles BEFORE executing any firmware update.

Best regards from France,

Balliet JM

I tried the same sequence and it worked perfectly...  left the 75 for last, and all worked.  Thanks!

I’m currently on SL2-S firmware version 2.1 and haven’t yet updated. I use Sigma primes and the 24-70 vario-Elmarit. I’m late in updating to version 3 / 3.1 but, given the problems people are experiencing, I’m wondering if I should just wait until all these bugs are ironed out? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chris Nebard said:

I’m currently on SL2-S firmware version 2.1 and haven’t yet updated. I use Sigma primes and the 24-70 vario-Elmarit. I’m late in updating to version 3 / 3.1 but, given the problems people are experiencing, I’m wondering if I should just wait until all these bugs are ironed out? 

I am in a similar situation. I have the same gear as you, and wonder if this update can be skipped. 

Does anyone have any advice for us?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drballiet said:

Bonjour,

I updated the camera without problem via Fotos with a Sigma lens attached, restarted and tested : all OK.

But I observed an odd behavior, the same as a previous post "My Summicron-SL 75 has become unusable after updating the firmware"… i.e. the lens seemed to be bricked even after a waiting a lengthy times and several manual restarts. 😒

BUT, I followed on and put on my Summicron-SL 35, restarted the camera and the lens update was successfully executed. So I put the Summicron-SL 75 anew on the Camera, restraded ans… the lens update was successful ! Since then all lenses works like as usual. 🙂

Perhaps, the same process will help the user whose Summicron-SL 75 seems to be bricked ?!

Reminder : always backup your profiles BEFORE executing any firmware update.

Best regards from France,

Balliet JM

Thank you for this encouragement, and thanks also to others who have commented on the same issue.
I did indeed try the 75 again after updating all the other lenses, including the 35 and 90 Summicrons, but with no different result. I am leaving it until tomorrow when I shall try it again.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences, I kept your warnings and advices in mind, so I had no problems with updating FW 4.1. on my  SL2 and SL-lenses (2490, 28,35, 50 lux, 75) and at last importing the profiles.

My SL2 displays a message saying, "No firmware on SD card found" when attempting to update my SL2 to v.4.1. 

The v.4.1 file was downloaded from the Leica USA website under the firmware tab on the SL2 main page. The file name is, "SL2__41__0.lfu". I copied it to an SD card  just reformatted in-camera. On my Mac, the file appears on the SD card root directory  together with the DCIM and PRIVATE folders. To be clear, the firmware file is on the root director and is not in a subfolder. User profiles were saved to a second SD card, which is not in-camera. 

I downloaded the file again (after deleting the first file I downloaded), copied it to a different freshly-formatted SD card and got the same result.  Each time, I followed the firmware instructions. Previously, I was able to successfully update to v.4.0 without issue.

Has anyone else experienced this? Suggestions???

Thanks!

Rich

Advertisement (gone after registration)

52 minutes ago, Rich_H said:

My SL2 displays a message saying, "No firmware on SD card found" when attempting to update my SL2 to v.4.1. 

The v.4.1 file was downloaded from the Leica USA website under the firmware tab on the SL2 main page. The file name is, "SL2__41__0.lfu". I copied it to an SD card  just reformatted in-camera. On my Mac, the file appears on the SD card root directory  together with the DCIM and PRIVATE folders. To be clear, the firmware file is on the root director and is not in a subfolder. User profiles were saved to a second SD card, which is not in-camera. 

I downloaded the file again (after deleting the first file I downloaded), copied it to a different freshly-formatted SD card and got the same result.  Each time, I followed the firmware instructions. Previously, I was able to successfully update to v.4.0 without issue.

Thanks!

Rich

I'm getting the same result

1 hour ago, huwm said:

I'm getting the same result

Same here— including the repeated downloads from Leica website—but have managed to update successfully via Fotos app.  The first message in the thread indicated that the download version will be available over the next days, so maybe this is the reason.  

I upgraded my SL2-S to v3.1 via FOTOS and it worked. It took many tries but eventually worked.

As for upgrading the 28 APO firmware (which was on v3.0 with the aperture issue), I had some weird behaviour after the camera firmware update and it wasn’t until I unmounted the lens, then remounted the lens that it was able to do a firmware update. I’m pretty sure the lens was mounted properly while the camera was off but it somehow didn’t detect the lens. Another odd thing I noticed was that the aperture on the 28 APO was partially closed so I’m not sure why but it seems the lens got into some bad state at some point. After remounting the lens, it was able to communicate and the lens firmware update was very fast. I didn’t mount my other SL zooms except for the 16-35 but since it didn’t update the 16-35, I assumed the other SL zooms will not be updated.

After the 28 APO lens firmware update to v3.1, the aperture issue has been fixed and the aperture stays wide open until I take a photo.

Would be good if others can confirm whether the 24-90 and 90-280 SL has a lens firmware update going from v3.0/v4.0 to v3.1/v4.1 on the camera.

Also, as other have mentioned, updating the camera FW from FOTOS will nuke your user profiles so make sure you export to SD card and then import them after the update. Interestingly, in the past, after a firmware update on the camera, I normally need to delete the saved camera connection in the FOTOS app and then create a new connection again but this time, the connection that I setup when I upgraded to v3.0 on the SL2-S still works after upgrading to v3.1.

Edited by beewee

4 hours ago, Rich_H said:

Thanks!

Rich

Same result here...

The file appears to be named in error:  SL2__41__0.lfu.  If you rename the firmware file to:  SL2__41_.lfu   - it works copying from the SD card.   So delete the last  two character in the primary name "_0" - but leave the file-type name. .lfu  .Otherwise just follow the instructions as per 4.0 update.  I don't know if this also pertains to SL2-S - I have the SL2.

I've been in the software business for too long 🙂 , obviously a trvial error. I'm glad I'm retired now.

Cheers,   -Peter

Edited by Melampus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Melampus said:

The file appears to be named in error:  SL2__41__0.lfu.  If you rename the firmware file to:  SL2__41_.lfu   - it works copying from the SD card.   So delete the last  two character in the primary name "_0" - but leave the file-type name. .lfu  .Otherwise just follow the instructions as per 4.0 update.  I don't know if this also pertains to SL2-S - I have the SL2.

I've been in the software business for too long 🙂 , obviously a trvial error. I'm glad I'm retired now.

Cheers,   -Peter

Yep, that's it. Top notch QC again from the Leica software engineers 🙄

4 hours ago, beewee said:

Would be good if others can confirm whether the 24-90 and 90-280 SL has a lens firmware update going from v3.0/v4.0 to v3.1/v4.1 on the camera.

My 24-90 and 50 Summilux  did not update with 4.1. The 35 Summicron did and works again as it should,

12 hours ago, Doug Trabaris said:

...wonder if this update can be skipped. 

Does anyone have any advice for us?

In my non-professional opinion, the biggest reason for the update is the eye AF, and autofocus with people is why I own the SL2. 

• Thanks 1

Hi together,

I have a strange behaviour as well: I updated the 35 and 75 successfully but as soon as I switch the lenses, the camera does a „hard restart“ and the profiles are deleted again and I have to set the time etc again. That does just happen when I switch lenses, not wenn I shut off/turn on the camera several times with the same lens. Any advice?

Markus

22 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Thank you for this encouragement, and thanks also to others who have commented on the same issue.
I did indeed try the 75 again after updating all the other lenses, including the 35 and 90 Summicrons, but with no different result. I am leaving it until tomorrow when I shall try it again.

Tried again, fresh battery, but still no change - the 75SL remains dead. 
No reply yet from Leica customer service.
Fortunately, with the 90SL working, and the 24-90SL, it is not a critical temporary loss.

Edited by LocalHero1953

13 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Tried again, fresh battery, but still no change - the 75SL remains dead. 
No reply yet from Leica customer service.
Fortunately, with the 90SL working, and the 24-90SL, it is not a critical temporary loss.

if you have a TL/CL have you tried the 75 on those cameras?

11 hours ago, trickness said:

Yep, that's it. Top notch QC again from the Leica software engineers 🙄

Absolutely.  You shouldn't have to rename a file for it to work.  This is poor testing.  I run an IT department and I'd have to look for a new QA team if they released a bug fix that had a bug in the file name.  Sheesh.

• Like 5