FW Bugfix: Leica SL2 (v 4.1) / Leica SL2-S (v 3.1)

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An updated firmware version for Leica SL2 (v 4.1) / Leica SL2-S (v 3.1) should be available now via the Leica FOTOS app.

A download version will be available over the next days.

The update includes a fix for problems with SL Summicron lenses.

Update May 26th 2022

The download version is now available too but has to be renamed:

Instead of SL2__41__0.lfu it has do be SL2__41_.lfu

Andreas

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, LUF Admin said:

An updated firmware version for Leica SL2 (v 4.1) / Leica SL2-S (v 3.1) should be available now via the Leica FOTOS app.

A download version will be available over the next days.

The update includes a fix for problems with SL Summicron lenses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: For those of you using the Fotos app to update the X.1 firmware, the process WILL NOT prompt to save your profiles... Please export your profiles FIRST into an SD card BEFORE initiating the firmware update via Fotos app...

Thinking of this and assuming that there might be a problem saved my neck!!! Hope it will for many of you too!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Too late for me as well😒

I normally update by downloading to the SD card - preparing the SD card reminds me to save my profiles, even if the firmware doesn't. Updating via Fotos doesn't give you enough breaks in the process to remember and do it.

All Leica firmware updates should come either with a reminder to save your profiles, or should not overwrite them, or should automatically save them for you.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

All Leica firmware updates should come either with a reminder to save your profiles, or should not overwrite them, or should automatically save them for you.

Here here! It is mind boggling that this behavior has persisted through so many updates and so many different models. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Update via Fotos successful on my SL2 for my 35 SL and 75 SL lenses. Saved profiles first to SD card. No problem importing them but day and time formats will not stick to the way I like them displayed. Keeps reverting to Day/Month/Year and 24 hour clock even though I have the correct time zone set. Is there a secret or is this a new bug? I tried with 'Via smart phone' on and off, same thing happens

My Summicron-SL 75 has become unusable after updating the firmware, probably by a combination of user error and odd firmware behaviour. I'm waiting to hear what Leica customer service advise.

I updated the camera without problem via Fotos with the 24-90 attached (other than losing my profiles, as I posted earlier). I attached the 90-280, and there was no lens f/w update action. I then attached the 75; the EVF, LCD and all buttons went dead, though the top plate LCD had the normal display. It's possible that it was preparing to update the lens f/w, but I messed around restarting, pulling batteries and even, with a zoom lens attached, doing a full factory reset. The only change was that I was sometimes shown a display “Lens firmware not supported – please update firmware”. I suspect the lens f/w has got corrupted.

I tried the Summicron-SL 35 and 90, and both updated their firmware after a moment's hesitation. The 16-35 zoom was like the other zooms - no lens f/w update action.

I'm hoping there is a way to 'force' a firmware update myself, or Leica can offer a remote solution - it would be irritating to have to ship it off to get it sorted.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

My Summicron-SL 75 has become unusable after updating the firmware, probably by a combination of user error and odd firmware behaviour. I'm waiting to hear what Leica customer service advise.

I updated the camera without problem via Fotos with the 24-90 attached (other than losing my profiles, as I posted earlier). I attached the 90-280, and there was no lens f/w update action. I then attached the 75 and the EVF, LCD and all buttons went dead, though the top plate LCD had the normal display. It's possible that it was preparing to update the lens f/w, but I messed around restarting, pulling batteries and even, with a zoom lens attached, doing a full factory reset. The only change was that I was sometimes shown a display “Lens firmware not supported – please update firmware”. I suspect the lens f/w has got corrupted.

I tried the Summicron-SL 35 and 90, and both updated their firmware after a moment's hesitation. The 16-35 zoom was like the other zooms - no lens f/w update action.

I'm hoping there is a way to 'force' a firmware update myself, or Leica can offer a remote solution - it would be irritating to have to ship it off to get it sorted.

Ohhh, thats unfortunate. Clearly things can and will be fixed, but annoying indeed. Particularly if the body (possibly with lenses) has to be shipped to Wetzlar. Keep us updated! 

• Like 2

Just now, helged said:

Ohhh, thats unfortunate. Clearly things can and will be fixed, but annoying indeed. Particularly if the body (possibly with lenses) has to be shipped to Wetzlar. Keep us updated! 

I need to use the camera this evening, but after that I will pull the battery, clean the body and lens contacts and leave it overnight or longer to see if that helps.

• Like 1

vor einer Stunde schrieb LocalHero1953:

I updated the camera without problem via Fotos with the 24-90 attached

...this is how I did it, just with formatting SD cards and then exporting the user profiles ;)  before starting the update from the APP. After update, the camera restarted on its own, but I did manually restarts to re-import my profiles etc. and only after everything worked well I changed lenses and updated the Summicrons (50 and 90 in my case) without any issues. And also - make sure that your phone goes NOT sleeping (which might depend on your individual energy saving settings...) by touching the screen from time to time. In my first attempt the update failed due to this issue.

Edited by hofo100
  • Like 2

Oh no...  I'm all packed to go to Paris tomorrow for a week-long photo workshop starting on Sunday (planned since 2019 but delayed until now).  My cataract has worsened to the point that I can't use the rangefinder (until after surgery, but that's not for another month).  So instead of M setup I'm ready with SL2, SL2S (both with latest firmware until this came out), and my three Summicrons SL (28, 35, 50).  If I brick one of the lenses, or worse if anything happens to the cameras...  not good, I'm wondering if I should just wait.  

Has anyone experienced the bug that is being addressed by these firmware updates?  In the app it says it has to do with "an error in the aperture control of the SL lens series Summicron which leads to delays in the continuous shooting speed" - does this mean that if one doesn't shoot continuous and just keep it at single frame, there's no problem? 

vor 20 Minuten schrieb tpenate2:

Has anyone experienced the bug that is being addressed by these firmware updates?  

...definitely not a full test, but after update I did not longer note the shutter lag with Summicron primes. Hoping they build not in another new bug, since I am going to spend the upcoming long weekend in Scotland...;)

and enjoy Paris - have been there with my Q last week

Bonjour,

I updated the camera without problem via Fotos with a Sigma lens attached, restarted and tested : all OK.

But I observed an odd behavior, the same as a previous post "My Summicron-SL 75 has become unusable after updating the firmware"… i.e. the lens seemed to be bricked even after a waiting a lengthy times and several manual restarts. 😒

BUT, I followed on and put on my Summicron-SL 35, restarted the camera and the lens update was successfully executed. So I put the Summicron-SL 75 anew on the Camera, restraded ans… the lens update was successful ! Since then all lenses works like as usual. 🙂

Perhaps, the same process will help the user whose Summicron-SL 75 seems to be bricked ?!

Reminder : always backup your profiles BEFORE executing any firmware update.

Best regards from France,

Balliet JM

• Like 2

Gerade eben schrieb drballiet:

Bonjour,

I updated the camera without problem via Fotos with a Sigma lens attached, restarted and tested : all OK.

But I observed an odd behavior, the same as a previous post "My Summicron-SL 75 has become unusable after updating the firmware"… i.e. the lens seemed to be bricked even after a waiting a lengthy times and several manual restarts. 😒

BUT, I followed on and put on my Summicron-SL 35, restarted the camera and the lens update was successfully executed. So I put the Summicron-SL 75 anew on the Camera, restraded ans… the lens update was successful ! Since then all lenses works like as usual. 🙂

Perhaps, the same process will help the user whose Summicron-SL 75 seems to be bricked ?!

Reminder : always backup your profiles BEFORE executing any firmware update.

Best regards from France,

Balliet JM

I had a similar behaviour, both with FW 4.0 and 4.1: lens FW update did not start, SL unusable until I detached the lens for 1 second and fix it again - than the update starts and everything was fine (but no good feeling on my side)

shutter lag solved! (Summicrons 35mm & 90mm)

All updated and working fine.

Would have preferred to have had a message to save my profiles however.

I think it's an oversight not to prompt for this first no way of stopping it one the process is in action.

29 minutes ago, hofo100 said:

...definitely not a full test, but after update I did not longer note the shutter lag with Summicron primes.

Same here. The shutter-lag with the Summicron primes (which was worse with custom profiles than with default profile....) is gone. Update through the Photos app was a breeze. Thanks for reminding to back-up the user profiles. Needed it twice. Upgrading a second Summicron (so only lens-upgrade) led to the same default configuration with no user profiles.   

33 minutes ago, hofo100 said:

...definitely not a full test, but after update I did not longer note the shutter lag with Summicron primes. Hoping they build not in another new bug, since I am going to spend the upcoming long weekend in Scotland...;)

and enjoy Paris - have been there with my Q last week

Nice shots!  Thanks for sharing.  I like the deliberate look with the slight tint.  I was transferred to Paris and lived there for six years, returned to Miami in 2012.  Haven't been back since 2014 so I'm really looking forward to it!  As for the update, I appreciate drballiet's comments and will try it following his approach - merci beaucoup!