Capture One question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had my Q2M since last autumn, and have only shot raw files with it. I decided to try out the jpegs and see how they look. I shot some this morning, imported them into Capture One, and noticed, when switching between the dng and jpeg for a given photo, that there is a difference in distortion. It seems that for the dng file, Capture One is applying a lens correction profile, but for the jpeg, that option is not available. Anyone know why? 

Related: the jpegs look really good; I never tried using them, but I'm quite impressed how good they are by default. 

1 hour ago, kirkmc said:

It seems that for the dng file, Capture One is applying a lens correction profile, but for the jpeg, that option is not available. Anyone know why? 

I can't test because I never shoot jpegs. However, would the reason not be that the camera already applies the lens correction profile for jpegs as part of the in-camera jpeg processing?

Stephen

That is probably the case. But if I use the arrow keys to go back and forth between two photos - one raw and one jpeg - there is a visible different in pincushion distortion correction. That means that Capture One is not using what it calls the manufacturer's profile then, or is not applying it correctly. I guess this doesn't matter much with a monochrome dng, but I would be more concerned with color Q2 photos where it might be handling chromatic aberration differently. 

10 hours ago, kirkmc said:

This has nothing to do with cromping; it’s about the distortion correction for the lens.

Suit yourself. If you understood the in-camera distortion correction and subsequent "cromp" you wouldn't be puzzled.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 14 Stunden schrieb kirkmc:

That is probably the case. But if I use the arrow keys to go back and forth between two photos - one raw and one jpeg - there is a visible different in pincushion distortion correction. That means that Capture One is not using what it calls the manufacturer's profile then, or is not applying it correctly. I guess this doesn't matter much with a monochrome dng, but I would be more concerned with color Q2 photos where it might be handling chromatic aberration differently. 

Here are two samples: Manufacturer Profile with 100% distortion correction and Generic Profile. For this lens, C1 doens't have a custom profile. So they are using the data that is embedded in the RAW file. Here is some more information on how this works in C1: https://learn.captureone.com/blog-posts/lens-correction-in-capture-one-the-essentials/

What I can tell you is that LR and C1 provide identiacal outputs with the manufacturer data contained in the DNG (LR doesn't have a specific profile for this lens, either). Same distortion correction, same cropping. May be you can share your OOC JPEG and the C1 JPEG for us to see.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I made an animated gif from a screen recording as I switched between a jpg and raw image. I had to downscale it a lot because of the file upload limit. All I see is a subtle difference in pincushion distortion. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

vor einer Stunde schrieb kirkmc:

I made an animated gif from a screen recording as I switched between a jpg and raw image. I had to downscale it a lot because of the file upload limit. All I see is a subtle difference in pincushion distortion. 

I have compared DNGs in LR and C1 to OOC JPEGs. Is there is a tiny little difference between C1 and and the OOC JPEG, C1 seems to stretch the image a tiny bit further into the corners - but nothing to write home about or to be of concern. The diference between an OOC JPEG and a DNG in LR is even less pronounced, once has to look really hard to see it.

9 minutes ago, clasami said:

I have compared DNGs in LR and C1 to OOC JPEGs. Is there is a tiny little difference between C1 and and the OOC JPEG, C1 seems to stretch the image a tiny bit further into the corners - but nothing to write home about or to be of concern. The diference between an OOC JPEG and a DNG in LR is even less pronounced, once has to look really hard to see it.

As I said, I didn't think it was a big deal, but I didn't expect there to be a difference. It means that C1 is not correctly interpreting the profile information that the Q2 embeds in the file. 

vor 9 Minuten schrieb kirkmc:

As I said, I didn't think it was a big deal, but I didn't expect there to be a difference. It means that C1 is not correctly interpreting the profile information that the Q2 embeds in the file. 

Of course there  will be differences between different software applications. Even Sony's owm Imaging Edge renders colors that a different from the OOC JPEG. And that is far more serious than that tiny little difference one can see here.

I would expect differences in colors, but not in distortion. Perhaps this isn't the case with lenses where C1 does have a profile, and isn't just saying "Manufacturer profile."

I just checked with some photos from a Fujifilm lens. The colors are exactly the same, but I can see some difference in pincushion distortion, even though C1 is using a profile. That surprises me; I'd expect they'd be able to match that exactly using test prints. It's very slight, but on a boring photo of clouds in the sky behind power lines, it's visible when switching from one to another. 

I know it's not a big deal; I'm just surprised.