The Birdman of the market.

carl_valiquet

I really like your portraits Carl. The persons in front of your camera are always very special and, this is the most important part to me, the viewer sees that they all feel very relaxed when you take a photo of them. You must have a very good communication with them. 

• Like 3

Thank you for your heart warming words benqui. Really encourages me to pursue in that direction. I think that to make portraits of people it helps to show a certain curiosity of how they live, of the work they do. Ask a man or a woman what they do in life, ask them about their work and they will open up. I think that a second quality is to leave silence, not impose, must show curiosity but not too much. Also, maybe my age ( 75 ) and body language help. I like people.  Joni Mirchell would say: we are all stardust. Voilà. Thank you. Carl.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, fotografr said:

Excellent portrait of a great personality. He looks like someone I'd like to talk with and his chicken toy is beautiful.

Hello Brent. He is a friendly person indeed but my Javanese (much different from Indonesian) is not sufficient for me to converse with this man who speaks mainly Javanese.

So we talked with hand gestures and smiles. And his birds are beautiful and NOISY!

Regards. Carl.

7 hours ago, stuny said:

Wonderful technically, emotionally, and in communication action with your subject.

Hello Stuart. Thank you. Contrary to his mechanical birds that  are noisy, this man is soft spoken and ( like many Javanese) a bit shy.

On 5/23/2022 at 3:15 PM, carl_valiquet said:

Thank you for your heart warming words benqui. Really encourages me to pursue in that direction. I think that to make portraits of people it helps to show a certain curiosity of how they live, of the work they do. Ask a man or a woman what they do in life, ask them about their work and they will open up. I think that a second quality is to leave silence, not impose, must show curiosity but not too much. Also, maybe my age ( 75 ) and body language help. I like people.  Joni Mirchell would say: we are all stardust. Voilà. Thank you. Carl.

Could not agree more with your words. Although now days my photography is simple one, it was different years ago. In 1998 I traveled alone across Sumatra - from Medan to Aceh and then back to Medan procede to Parapat, Bukitingi and finally Padang. All by local busses! I was younger of course, even catch some fever (Denga?), but nowdays I mostly remember how kind people were with me, how we mutualy respect each other. That was my last year of residency, but I can say that it was by far my most important experience in my life. Photographs, taken on this trip on Fuji Provia 100, were exhibited in small gallery in my hometown. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MaticB said:

Could not agree more with your words. Although now days my photography is simple one, it was different years ago. In 1998 I traveled alone across Sumatra - from Medan to Aceh and then back to Medan procede to Parapat, Bukitingi and finally Padang. All by local busses! I was younger of course, even catch some fever (Denga?), but nowdays I mostly remember how kind people were with me, how we mutualy respect each other. That was my last year of residency, but I can say that it was by far my most important experience in my life. Photographs, taken on this trip on Fuji Provia 100, were exhibited in small gallery in my hometown. 

Dear MaticB, thank you for the story Matija. Curious how we followed a similar path.My first trip to Indonesia was in 1985 to Lac Toba. I did travel by minibus here and there but I did not have the « courage » to travel far. Now that I have been living here for more than 13 years, my plan is to see Lac Toba with the eyes of an older man.If ever your travels bring you this way, please visit. I started looking at you images on your web site. Some beautiful images. I plan to look at it longer. Best regards. Carl.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carl_valiquet said:

Dear MaticB, thank you for the story Matija. Curious how we followed a similar path.My first trip to Indonesia was in 1985 to Lac Toba. I did travel by minibus here and there but I did not have the « courage » to travel far. Now that I have been living here for more than 13 years, my plan is to see Lac Toba with the eyes of an older man.If ever your travels bring you this way, please visit. I started looking at you images on your web site. Some beautiful images. I plan to look at it longer. Best regards. Carl.

Thank you very much! If my lifepath (healt 😊) alows me, we will see! I have few years yet to retired and my plans for the furture are optimistic though!

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 4:00 PM, didier said:

Wonderful Portrait Carl.

Tonality and contrast are beautiful. 

A print of this picture must be amazing ! Congrats !

Thank you Didier. I am making prints of images taken for a reportage on the local market. The image of the birdman is one of the images printed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...