Leica M11 is not responding.

Hazem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear members, please help me solving a weird problem with my Leica M11. Today when switched the camera on, the back screen is totally dead, the back red status light is on and never turns off, non of the three buttons to the left of screen is responding. I pushed the shutter release i heard the shutter, but screen was still dead black. I took off battery, memory card, and replaced the lens with another one, but the problem still exist. Moreover, when i switch  off the camera, the status led light on the back doesn’t turn off…… Any protocol to follow to tackle this issue??? Thanks

Remove the lens cap?  Pull out the battery and reinsert or replace with one that you are sure is fully charged. Use another SD card. 

Happened to me once due to the memory card. A brand new Sony Tough that happened to be dead for some reason. Using an old Sandisk card fixed the issue so i ordered a Sandisk Extreme Pro 170 mb/s for the M11. Works perfectly since then. 

Same here with SD card.

I have a ProGrade 128GB V60 (Gold) UHS-II card that caused camera to freeze like this once. Computer format with SD formatter app, then a format in camera. No problem since although once I got a embedded JPG preview with funny coloured lines, so it was corrupted. Also never happened since some 3000 images later.

So far, ironically, Lexar Professional 32GB 1667x UHS-II has been the most reliable. I say that since my Lexar experience has been extremely problematic with my Nikon cameras over the past few years.

I charged the battery overnight, inserted the battery to camera but with SD card out and then in but nothing got fixed. Formatted the SD card on computer, tried again switch on / off camera but no success at all. Problem still exists 

When this happened to me -- only once -- I connected Leica London and discussion with them brought out the fact that I had a Zeiss Sonnar lens on the camera.  When I changed this to a Summicron, the camera recognised it, and started working again.  The problem seemed to be a glitch that prevented the Zeiss lens being recognised.  No problems since then and the camera and Zeiss combination have been fine.  Strange, but true....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, John McDade said:

When this happened to me -- only once -- I connected Leica London and discussion with them brought out the fact that I had a Zeiss Sonnar lens on the camera.  When I changed this to a Summicron, the camera recognised it, and started working again.  The problem seemed to be a glitch that prevented the Zeiss lens being recognised.  No problems since then and the camera and Zeiss combination have been fine.  Strange, but true....

I seem to remember reading of a similar problem, but I think it was on an L mount camera.  Someone tried switching on a new camera with a third party lens and had what sounded like a similar problem.  He turned the camera off, switched to a Leica lens and it all worked fine.  After that the camera worked fine with all lenses.  I wondered if the lens had been fixed in all the way to a click the first time.  I wonder if it’s something similar here.