What camera is this?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Found photos of this "MP3" camera on the Internet. Could someone please tell me what kind of special limited edition it was and when it was released and in how many units? I guess it was released as "body only" variant.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by eugene1979
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, eugene1979 said:

Found photos of this "MP3" camera on the Internet. Could someone please tell me what kind of special limited edition it was and when it was released and in how many units? I guess it was released as "body only" variant.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It's easy to find this MP3 on the internet, it has had some fake 'brassing' done to it but for what reason I can't imagine. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, pedaes said:

https://jerrybei.com/reviews/2019/2/24/leica-mp3

The initiator for the LHSA is a Forum member @derleicaman and can tell you all the details.

Yes indeed, what details would you all like to know.

Most important are the numbers. 500 each in Black Paint and 500 in Chrome finish. There were also 500 of each finish for the lens (50/1.4 Summilux ASPH retro) and also 500 of each finish for the Leicavit.

Hope this helps!

5 hours ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Came with the ultimate Summilux 50 asph Black Paint LHSA.
500 units with camera body and 500 units without camera.

The lens has been revived as the Lenny Kravitz edition, and also in black chrome.

Not quite. There were 500 of Black Paint and 500 in Chrome, even split of units for both finishes, total was 1,000. This was for all three parts of the issue. Bodies, lenses and Leicavits. This makes the lenses rather rare with only 500 units in each finish, not 1,000 units in Black Paint.

14 hours ago, derleicaman said:

Not quite. There were 500 of Black Paint and 500 in Chrome, even split of units for both finishes, total was 1,000. This was for all three parts of the issue. Bodies, lenses and Leicavits. This makes the lenses rather rare with only 500 units in each finish, not 1,000 units in Black Paint.

Ohh ok, it has been so long I fogrot. But I remember it was split in half, so is it xorrect that 250 units came woth body and 250 sold separately?

57 minutes ago, Capuccino-Muffin said:

Ohh ok, it has been so long I fogrot. But I remember it was split in half, so is it xorrect that 250 units came woth body and 250 sold separately?

That was my understanding, but I have no way to confirm that is how Leica actually split the packaging. I actually went back to old emails from this period a few weeks ago when Leica USA had a question about numbers produced and pricing at that time. It was kind of fun to read some of the emails from that time. In some of them, I was advocating to price the package lower to encourage sales. I couldn't find the emails confirming what the final decision was. I have notes somewhere, but haven't had a chance to look at them. This was over 16 years ago! The outfits and the lenses are going for crazy prices now!