SL kit dilemma

hirohhhh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since I tried the M system about a year ago, I found myself rarely using my SL2 and any of my 6 SL lenses. Ocassionally, I'd shoot video, but that's like 2-3 times a year. I'm keeping it because it's hard for me to get rid of it, because it's the system that I collected since I started doing photography, and because I'm hoping that I might do a project that I'll need it (or, say I'm afraid I'll need it and I won't have it).

Now, I don't have to sell it, but I don't like the fact that it's just sitting there and not being used. Do you think it would be rational to keep it as an investment, or I don't know, a heritage? Do you think SL lenses will hold the value like M lenses does, many decades after? My kids are getting older, and they might like to use it, or maybe not.

I need some help and support in this matter :)

6 minutes ago, hirohhhh said:

Since I tried the M system about a year ago, I found myself rarely using my SL2 and any of my 6 SL lenses. Ocassionally, I'd shoot video, but that's like 2-3 times a year. I'm keeping it because it's hard for me to get rid of it, because it's the system that I collected since I started doing photography, and because I'm hoping that I might do a project that I'll need it (or, say I'm afraid I'll need it and I won't have it).

Now, I don't have to sell it, but I don't like the fact that it's just sitting there and not being used. Do you think it would be rational to keep it as an investment, or I don't know, a heritage? Do you think SL lenses will hold the value like M lenses does, many decades after? My kids are getting older, and they might like to use it, or maybe not.

I need some help and support in this matter :)

one of the reasons m lenses hold so excellent value, is that they can be used with any other system, especially now that most cameras are mirrorless. 

This means that in 20 years, unless something drastic happens with camera design, you will still be able to use a leica 1970s pre asph lens with your Sony, Canon or Nikon.

Now with l mount, that won't be the same..... yes perhaps L mount will still be alive.... but is limited to l mount system, and as good as sl apo lenses are, canon rf, nikon z, (such as the 50mm f1.2) and sony GM are also splendid lenses. M lenses give you the benefit of small, character, good image quality, (to some extent), and also target that feeling of old school, bring to your new mirrorles that feeling of old school. The sl lenses dont bring any of that, they have amazing image quality, but also the newer lenses from other brands.

So, no, dont  expect to see sl lenses keep value, they will lose value as the leica sl v1 had....

Edited by Malabito
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Malabito said:

one of the reasons m lenses hold so excellent value, is that they can be used with any other system, especially now that most cameras are mirrorless. 

This means that in 20 years, unless something drastic happens with camera design, you will still be able to use a leica 1970s pre asph lens with your Sony, Canon or Nikon.

Now with l mount, that won't be the same..... yes perhaps L mount will still be alive.... but is limited to l mount system, and as good as sl apo lenses are, canon rf, nikon z, (such as the 50mm f1.2) and sony GM are also splendid lenses.  

So, no, dont  expect to see sl lenses keep value, they will lose value as the leica sl v1 had....

Yeah, that's what I think. Also, lots of electronics, doesn't seem they'll keep updating firmwares 30 years from now.

Oh, SL Typ1, yeah I still have that too, but I'd rather sell my SL2 than the original SL... for the sentimental reasons :)

I'm a photographer, not an investor in photographic kit; I invest in other things. If I'm not using photographic kit, then I sell it. None of my digital photographic stuff has ever made me money, though with Leica I have lost less money than I would with other brands. I'm just paying for my pleasure.

I have some old Leica film cameras which probably will make money, though, eventually.🙂

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I'm just paying for my pleasure.

As @Malabito pointed out above, the "old" manual lenses tend to hold their value.  Thanks to a new army of videographers, some of them actually increase in value.

My – heavily criticised by my nearest-and-dearest – 2017 decision to buy all the Leica R lenses I always wanted has paid off hansomly.  The collection has gone up in value approx. 30% in five years.  Not that I want to sell them 😃

I also have a couple of Sony GM lenses for my Sony R gear.  They work fine but I have no illusions that 20 years from now they'll just be paperweights.

So, FWIW, my advice to @hirohhhh is to sell the SL2 gear ASAP.  If you aren't using it then time to pass it on to someone who will.

Edited by AZN
  • Like 4

I think the new apo M lenses in particular will hold value and go up with future higher res sensors.  Regular vintage and non-apo m lenses will always be generally sought after for their look, ease of use, and historical collectors values.  So I don’t think you can go wrong with any m purchases.  

leica prices will continue to go up on all their new items

SL lens optics are so far ahead of the game that I see them depreciating about 20% from new and then staying steady for a very long time.  I don’t think they will go up like the M Apo lenses because those work on every system with adapters 

The SL lenses while superior have less of an audience of buyers.  

Robb